4 teams from AAC agree to leave?

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

I commend you for actually answering the question. 

People are running with the narrative that Stanford is snobby, elitist, too good for us, etc., but we would be doing the exact same thing, trying to position UNT in the best conference/situation possible. It just comes off as hypocritical and lacking self-awareness. Why wouldn't they look for the best possible outcome? 

You can look out for yourself without coming across as thinking you are better than everyone else. They and SMU have an inflated impression of themselves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

They are literally holding up the entire process because they refuse to accept "no" votes from B10/ACC.  I think this is more than just them "positioning themselves" the best they can.

That is literally what they are trying to do. They are by reports 1 vote away from making it happen. Going to the AAC is a last resort, we have to be honest here. They are going to exhaust every option until then. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

You can look out for yourself without coming across as thinking you are better than everyone else. They and SMU have an inflated impression of themselves. 

How does it come across that they think they are better? They have worked for decades to get to where they are, invested hundreds of millions of dollars, why would we be surprised that joining the AAC/MWC is not something they would be interested in? Did we build DATCU and the Pit to be with SHSU or ACU? Would we be snobs for feeling like we would only be conference mates with them as a last resort? 

*sidenote, I don't know who keeps eyerolling you but it's not me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Will keep saying it, but the best thing, in my opinion to keep us safe, is for Stanford and California to go to the ACC

I worry that SMU is not the only ones arrogant enough to do something stupid to be in what they think will stay a power five conference, and if three or four schools pull out of the AAC seems to get ugly very quick.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Will keep saying it, but the best thing, in my opinion to keep us safe, is for Stanford and California to go to the ACC

I worry that SMU is not the only ones arrogant enough to do something stupid to be in what they think will stay a power five conference, and if three or four schools pull out of the AAC seems to get ugly very quick.

The PAC is dead. All the accolades, all the trophies all the accomplishments, all the memories are history. It’s gone. It’s been dissolved. It doesn’t exist anymore. You can add new teams even call it the PAC but you can also put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

The PAC is dead. All the accolades, all the trophies all the accomplishments, all the memories are history. It’s gone. It’s been dissolved. It doesn’t exist anymore. You can add new teams even call it the PAC but you can also put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig. 

100% agree!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

That would be the safer option too IMO. While we wouldn't have the chance to strengthen the AAC by adding 3/4, it would also make it unlikely that OSU/WSU could poach any of the AAC. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

It would have been really interesting if Aresco would have kept the Big East name, we would have had a case study on what life for an old AQ league would have been like after losing its top teams. Even saying Big East, the name still carries weight in my opinion.  We'd be in the Big East now instead of the American. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

I 100% agree with what you're saying, but remember, who says things make sense when it comes to college football? You have some very arrogant administrators and alumni who so badly want to feel significant that bad decisions could be made that will screw up everybody.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

That is literally what they are trying to do. They are by reports 1 vote away from making it happen. Going to the AAC is a last resort, we have to be honest here. They are going to exhaust every option until then. 

Yep. My point was, we wouldn’t be like this. Take the initial “no” vote and move on.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I commend you for actually answering the question. 

People are running with the narrative that Stanford is snobby, elitist, too good for us, etc., but we would be doing the exact same thing, trying to position UNT in the best conference/situation possible. It just comes off as hypocritical and lacking self-awareness. Why wouldn't they look for the best possible outcome? 

Stanford does need to look out for themselves, but they also need to communicate with the rest of the Pac4 about if they have interest in an expansion option.  They are leaving them hanging.  That is elitist, and something Smut would do.

• Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Stanford does need to look out for themselves, but they also need to communicate with the rest of the Pac4 about if they have interest in an expansion option.  They are leaving them hanging.  That is elitist, and something Smut would do.

I think you greatly underestimate how much Stanford thinks of themselves. After all wasn't it one of their professors Who convinced the pack they were worth $50 million per team in TV revenue? 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think you greatly underestimate how much Stanford thinks of themselves. After all wasn't it one of their professors Who convinced the pack they were worth $50 million per team in TV revenue? 

Yes, that's what I am saying.  Stanford thinks they don't need to involve the others in anything.   Elitist.  Smut on steroids.

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Yep. My point was, we wouldn’t be like this. Take the initial “no” vote and move on.

There are people on these boards that have insider knowledge of the lengths UNT has gone to try to move itself up. Every school would do what was possible to try and get to a better situation. The reality is there is still a small chance the ACC would take them, until that's off the table they will continue to pursue it. 

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Douches, jerks, inconsiderate, self-centered, self-serving, callous, are all words that I could describe leaving your conference mates hanging. I'm not sure what elitism has to do with that. It's been reported that Luck is working for OSU/WSU so they aren't just sitting around waiting on Stanford. They are working through different scenarios and seeing what gets them the most money. 

8 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Douches, jerks, inconsiderate, self-centered, self-serving, callous, are all words that I could describe leaving your conference mates hanging. I'm not sure what elitism has to do with that. It's been reported that Luck is working for OSU/WSU so they aren't just sitting around waiting on Stanford. They are working through different scenarios and seeing what gets them the most money. 

They are sitting around waiting on Stanford...

As Stanford holds out hope for ACC invitation, Oregon State and Washington State wait on Cardinal

"Stanford has not given up on getting an invitation to join the Atlantic Coast Conference as its fellow Pac-4 members in the Pacific Northwest hope to rebuild their plundered league and wait to find out if the Cardinal are in."

https://apnews.com/article/pac12-stanford-acc-conference-realignment-oregon-washiington-0722c523671cd2e4ac8b42151000bf48

From what I read Stanford is making an all out push this week to gain admittance to the ACC. They only meed one more YEA vote for approval, and by offering to forgo media money for a specified number of years the ACC now has the funds to pay Clemson and FSU more that the other conference members.

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

They are sitting around waiting on Stanford...

As Stanford holds out hope for ACC invitation, Oregon State and Washington State wait on Cardinal

"Stanford has not given up on getting an invitation to join the Atlantic Coast Conference as its fellow Pac-4 members in the Pacific Northwest hope to rebuild their plundered league and wait to find out if the Cardinal are in."

https://apnews.com/article/pac12-stanford-acc-conference-realignment-oregon-washiington-0722c523671cd2e4ac8b42151000bf48

In depth discussion with WSU president. It's clear they have been working behind the scenes and ran through multiple scenarios with different teams and configurations. They aren't just sitting on their hands doing nothing. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

In depth discussion with WSU president. It's clear they have been working behind the scenes and ran through multiple scenarios with different teams and configurations. They aren't just sitting on their hands doing nothing. 

What exactly is it that they COULD be doing that aren't doing?

I'm sure they've been part of Pac-4 talking to media partners about the value of various combinations that do and do not include Stanford. 

I'm sure they've listened as MWC as touted what their numbers are with them as a member and a similar pitch from AAC.

Could they just go "do something" by leaping into another conference? Yeah and then might look really stupid when the remainders pick off the value of that conference.

Stanford ain't gone until Stanford has a place to move.

I think we can scratch B1G, B12, SEC off that place to move list, so that leaves ACC who is reportedly one vote shy of admitting them. What we don't know is if there is a no vote that could become a yes vote if the right bargain is struck. Maybe changing ACC exit from Alcatraz level security to Leavenworth level barriers convinces Florida State to change their vote. I'm not convinced that Florida State is as hot of a property as Florida State believes. They add zero dollars to the SEC Network, ESPN would have to pay more for ABC/ESPN content to make up that no gain plus sharing revenue with them. B1G could make more money but B1G more likely isn't looking to add until they get some time under their belt with the four western schools and FSU isn't in AAU which has been a key point in assessing candidates.

So if they can't get a deal brokered for ACC, Stanford is down to independent in football and find a less prestigious home for other sports or rebuild with schools they find acceptable which isn't San Jose and Fresno or most state schools that aren't land grant research schools.

That takes us back to Washington State. Why would you leap today for options that are still there tomorrow when waiting may mean finding a way to keep Stanford?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

What exactly is it that they COULD be doing that aren't doing?

I'm sure they've been part of Pac-4 talking to media partners about the value of various combinations that do and do not include Stanford. 

I'm sure they've listened as MWC as touted what their numbers are with them as a member and a similar pitch from AAC.

Could they just go "do something" by leaping into another conference? Yeah and then might look really stupid when the remainders pick off the value of that conference.

Stanford ain't gone until Stanford has a place to move.

I think we can scratch B1G, B12, SEC off that place to move list, so that leaves ACC who is reportedly one vote shy of admitting them. What we don't know is if there is a no vote that could become a yes vote if the right bargain is struck. Maybe changing ACC exit from Alcatraz level security to Leavenworth level barriers convinces Florida State to change their vote. I'm not convinced that Florida State is as hot of a property as Florida State believes. They add zero dollars to the SEC Network, ESPN would have to pay more for ABC/ESPN content to make up that no gain plus sharing revenue with them. B1G could make more money but B1G more likely isn't looking to add until they get some time under their belt with the four western schools and FSU isn't in AAU which has been a key point in assessing candidates.

So if they can't get a deal brokered for ACC, Stanford is down to independent in football and find a less prestigious home for other sports or rebuild with schools they find acceptable which isn't San Jose and Fresno or most state schools that aren't land grant research schools.

That takes us back to Washington State. Why would you leap today for options that are still there tomorrow when waiting may mean finding a way to keep Stanford?

Exactly. They are working behind the scenes with what they can control, and preparing a plan for different scenarios. They aren't going to jump just to do something, they will wait for the best plan which will most likely be the plan with the most $$$. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

42 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Exactly. They are working behind the scenes with what they can control, and preparing a plan for different scenarios. They aren't going to jump just to do something, they will wait for the best plan which will most likely be the plan with the most $$$. 

I agree WSU is planning with info they have, but at the same time they are being held hostage by Stanford.  WSU has more value staying with Stanford, either in another conference or a re-build of the Pac.  Thus they will wait for Stanford's outcome before WSU can determine their fate.

42 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I agree WSU is planning with info they have, but at the same time they are being held hostage by Stanford.  WSU has more value staying with Stanford, either in another conference or a re-build of the Pac.  Thus they will wait for Stanford's outcome before WSU can determine their fate.

I watched a video with a regents member at WSU interviewing their president.  I thought their president was very honest in his assessment. He said they will no longer ride on coattails.  They will make their own decisions and that includes being in a conference where they can win championships.  And it has to happen quickly.  My thought is it os either AAC or Mountain West.  Edge to AAC due to contract and they disrespect the Mountain West.  But it could go either way honestly.

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

WSU/OSU are only waiting around because it benefits them monetarily. If it didn't they would have made a move, they aren't locked in some room with nowhere to go. They know they have to look out for themselves and they will have a threshold of how long they are willing to wait. So far they are willing to wait, I'd guess that this is the final week they are willing to wait before telling Stanford if they need to decide if they are in or out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

WSU/OSU are only waiting around because it benefits them monetarily. If it didn't they would have made a move, they aren't locked in some room with nowhere to go. They know they have to look out for themselves and they will have a threshold of how long they are willing to wait. So far they are willing to wait, I'd guess that this is the final week they are willing to wait before telling Stanford if they need to decide if they are in or out. 

So in other words, they are willing to wait before telling Stanford they need to decide if they are in or out?  Sounds like they are waiting on Stanford (to decide if they are in or out).  Lol.

I do think the ACC will make a decision this week if any one (1) school has changed their vote (ie been swayed, convinced, bought) or not about adding new members.

• Upvote 1