Texas Conference

I know this has been thrown around on here before, but we need to let the state come together and just pull in the same direction. 

10 FBS programs. Round robin format. Top 2 play for the trophy. Greatly attended games. Great TV. Huge rivalries weekly. Ticket sales, concessions, merch, tv deal, etc would all be fantastic for everyone. 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I love it.  It makes too much sense.  However you have to remove Texas and Texas A&M. They’re just in another stratosphere financially. The issue is TT, Baylor, TCU…..they THINK they’re UT’s equal because they’ve been in the same conference with them. They’re not. Take conference affiliation out of it and they’re no where close to those two. And TCU even made the champ game last season. Doesn’t matter. Not today. They stole the hearts of Fort Worth and that is Fort Worth’s team. But go outside Tarrant County and they don’t have NFL like appeal that a UT has. Is that kinda sad? Sure. But it’s facts. 

And that’s the crux of this whole thing. The UT’s, Ohio States, Bama, USC’s have been carrying the mid tier and lower teams for years and they’re tired of it. They want all the money for themselves. USC and Washington State may have shared a conference. But they share nothing else. In today’s world, the nostalgia if a great game in the 70s when there was a ranked matchup and a win would’ve put one at #1 in the AP, etc. means nothing anymore. 

Money is all that matters.  If TTech and TCU and Baylor are millionaires. They’re trying to associate with Billionaires (UT and A&M). The SWC is long gone. 

Back to the original subject of a Texas conference. What I think this highlights is that the second tier (TCU, TTech, NC State, Oklahoma St…..programs that have good local, regional relevance) and the lower tier (G5s…..Memphis, Boise St, UNT, SDSU, SMU, Rice, etc) need to figure out how to move forward in this new world, our ego aside (will never happen) and focus on going regional. No one not in that upper echelon (top 25-30 programs) has a national appeal which means they are not going to get big TV deals. That model failed. 

Go regional and build geographic support. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We were already in the 1987 Southland Conference.  Do we need to do this again?

A regional conference is a good play IF the school always wants to have a regional reputation.  If the Powers That Be in the school want a national rep, then we have to be in a national athletic conference.

I mean this in a sincere way, what is people's obsession with this? If it made sense/$ it would already be a reality. The focus would be so narrow it would not get any national coverage. 

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Of course it is.  But imagine the matchups and the energy throughout the state. 

For who? This would only benefit 1 side. I don't think UT, A&M, etc. would be excited to play us. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I mean this in a sincere way, what is people's obsession with this? If it made sense/$ it would already be a reality. The focus would be so narrow it would not get any national coverage. 

For who? This would only benefit 1 side. I don't think UT, A&M, etc. would be excited to play us. 

The fans. 

Our national success in OOC and bowl season would be the variables to create national exposure. 

The money would be made. This would full stop at UT and ATM. Egos too big. Feelings too sensitive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The fans. 

Our national success in OOC and bowl season would be the variables to create national exposure. 

The money would be made. This would full stop at UT and ATM. Egos too big. Feelings too sensitive. 

TCU, TT, Baylor, and Houston would not want to share the same conference either. Do you want to be in a conference with SFA, ACU, SHSU, Houston Baptist, UIW, TSU, Prairie A&M? I'm guessing here, but I wouldn't think so. 

• Puking Eagle 1

In some ways it would be nice but that ship sailed with the demise of the Southwest Conference when only Arkansas was an outsider.  Yes, I understand that there are more universities that would qualify for a Texas conference but Humble Oil and Refining toted most of the bill and I don't think that you would find a single sponsor willing to spend that kind of money again.

On 8/6/2023 at 9:22 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I know this has been thrown around on here before, but we need to let the state come together and just pull in the same direction. 

10 FBS programs. Round robin format. Top 2 play for the trophy. Greatly attended games. Great TV. Huge rivalries weekly. Ticket sales, concessions, merch, tv deal, etc would all be fantastic for everyone. 

There would be no TV deal, and while ticket sales are nice they don't pay the bills.