Jared Mosley

wardly

27 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I actually think they’d get a lot more bang for their buck by investing a text to give option than an app at live events. The last thing I want is yet another app to download.

The technology is already there: churches have picked up on this and use it for tithing/offertory.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah an APP whose purpose is to only allow the user to donate is one of the silliest ideas I’ve heard in a while. The development and maintenance cost would be fairly substantial. 

A larger application that covers everything Mean Green Sports (including donations)? Maybe. But I wonder how many would download, other than the hard core fan that’s already donating. (How many of you have the official Mavericks or Stars app?)

If you want to capitalize on on-game moments for donation solicitation, the key is to remove as much friction as possible. Have a QR code on the video board. Take it to a mobile friendly website. Make sure the donation option is integrated with APPLE PAY, GOOGLE WALLET, PAYPAL, and VENMO so nobody has to fumble with a credit card. Take in the cash. 

Asking users to download an app, fill out a profile, enter in credit card information, etc. is a really big lift. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

You missed my point completely. It is very much the schools fault

UNT is generally seen and treated as a "low effort, low cost, local option" by the majority of students that attend. It's cheap, it's not particularly prestigious academically (a few program tracks are top notch but the university as a whole is not) and relatively easy to get into, and it's within an hour drive of 8+ million people

Generally speaking, people don't go to UNT for Basketball like they do Kansas, they don't go for Football like Alabama, they don't go for tradition like Texas A&M, they go because it's cheap, close, and easy to get accepted (Seen as a fallback option for many who don't get accepted to their school of choice)

With that perception, and the lack of student buy in because of said perception, it makes athletic support infinitely more difficult. Couple that with UNT's greater administration's lack to encourage/re-enforce these things in an impactful and meaningful way (something like fish camp for Texas A&M) to students and it's no wonder we have low donor numbers despite a massive student/alumni population.

Throw in decades of losing at revenue sports, and only the diehards are left. The problem is we don't foster an environment to create/encourage diehards in the first place.

I don't know how many active users there are on GMG, but I would guess the numbers pale in comparison to something like TexAgs. 

Might expand this idea of "fish" camp to also having an "eagle" camp (or some more clever name) for the current 3-game mini plan buyers and maybe 1st time season ticket holders.  Used to have a coaches clinic focusing on women that was also well attended in the past.  I haven't seen anything like that lately.  More individualized, specialized attention always makes people feel important and results in a bigger buy in to the program.  That is why I think the Mean Green Club of old had more appeal to many than the current MGSF...you felt important and part of the bigger picture as well!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Might expand this idea of "fish" camp to also having an "eagle" camp (or some more clever name) for the current 3-game mini plan buyers and maybe 1st time season ticket holders.  Used to have a coaches clinic focusing on women that was also well attended in the past.  I haven't seen anything like that lately.  More individualized, specialized attention always makes people feel important and results in a bigger buy in to the program.  That is why I think the Mean Green Club of old had more appeal to many than the current MGSF...you felt important and part of the bigger picture as well!

Wouldn't hurt for sure. I hope they establish something for new students and even transfers. I was a transfer and our welcome orientation was pretty basic and by the book as you could get, heard the fight song and alma mater with a couple cheerleaders, learned the claw/chants, and that was it. 

Make the students feel a connection to athletics, get them excited to go to games, and establish school spirit early and often.

Hell, even have a handful of designated people roaming campus or having a booth setup by the library and offering shirt swaps for anybody in non-UNT gear. And a nice shirt, not some basic cotton with UNT slapped on it. Give us your UT/A&M/Tech/Etc shirt and get this sweet mean green swag. May already be something like this.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Wouldn't hurt for sure. I hope they establish something for new students and even transfers. I was a transfer and our welcome orientation was pretty basic and by the book as you could get, heard the fight song and alma mater with a couple cheerleaders, learned the claw/chants, and that was it. 

Make the students feel a connection to athletics, get them excited to go to games, and establish school spirit early and often.

Hell, even have a handful of designated people roaming campus or having a booth setup by the library and offering shirt swaps for anybody in non-UNT gear. And a nice shirt, not some basic cotton with UNT slapped on it. Give us your UT/A&M/Tech/Etc shirt and get this sweet mean green swag. May already be something like this.

And I hate to steal this very awesome idea, but yell night that ATM has is pretty awesome. Let the students come to Apogee on Friday nights and do something constructive, spirit oriented, and FUN with them. Call it Game Day Eve or "GDE". Give them a reason not to go home. Let the fraternities/soroities head it with the appropriate amount of guidance and leadership. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

27 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And I hate to steal this very awesome idea, but yell night that ATM has is pretty awesome. Let the students come to Apogee on Friday nights and do something constructive, spirit oriented, and FUN with them. Call it Game Day Eve or "GDE". Give them a reason not to go home. Let the fraternities/soroities head it with the appropriate amount of guidance and leadership. 

Love this concept!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Poor name choice!   The fundraising entity should be the Mean Green Club or Mean Green Fund.  Some people don’t want to donate to a “scholarship fund” because they are still paying for their own kid’s college loans.  But they may ok donating to an athletic venue or facility fund, specific sport, or general athletic fund. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Poor name choice!   The fundraising entity should be the Mean Green Club or Mean Green Fund.  Some people don’t want to donate to a “scholarship fund” because they are still paying for their own kid’s college loans.  But they may ok donating to an athletic venue or facility fund, specific sport, or general athletic fund. 

Looking across the website, I'm not sure how to connect these dots:

FAQs says this is specifically for student athlete scholarships.
WAYS TO GIVE says you can specific towards sport, and maybe even equipment/travel/something else

If it's the former, I think it's better for the website name to reflect that.  People want to know what they are donating to.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1