Morris and his new staff

Coach Morris's Staff  

68 members have voted

1. 1. At this point, through the late signing period, Spring Ball, and the Summer Camps -  In your opinion how is this staff doing compared to what you through would happen when the hire was announced

• Where I Thought They Would Be
    • Much Better Than Expected
    • Not As Good As Expected

It was the exact change we needed.  I was concerned a new staff would be slow out of the gate.  But I have been really impressed with the offseason hires, tweets, high school connections made, campers, new roster players, etc.  So much more energy it seems in the program now.  

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

I haven't really had any strong opinion of Morris and the main coaches.  I think he's doing exactly what you would expect here: a first year coach.  Young.  So lots of energy and all that comes with it.

The thing that's resonated with me is Coach O.  His hire was one of the most significant moves I've ever seen this program make.  Appears to be a concerted effort to bridge the gap between the Mean Green brand and the best HS players Texas has to offer.

Having said that, the shine has faded a bit and I honestly have no idea if recruiting has been better becaUse of Coach O (and the rest of the recruiters).  Do we need to wait until c/o '24 to see a difference? Will we see a difference?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/15/2023 at 6:30 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I have no idea.  Ask me again in November.

Very few people here are equipped to make an assessment.  Star ratings below 4 star are a complete crap shot IMO.  Unless you’ve visited off-season practices of several FBS programs over a decade, I don’t know how you would make an assessment.  That being said, I am please that on paper recruiting wasn’t a complete disaster.   That was a possibility given the late start and not having deep NIL pockets on par with top programs in the AAC.  And even one the programs we have infrastructure advantages over, UTSA.  Has kicked our ass and been on the national radar recently for winning consistently.

• Upvote 1

Energy and engagement have been strong. Love the social media team and Coach O output. So far the high school recruiting efforts and results have been pretty good. On the negative side, I don’t see the same impressive results in bringing in transfers. It seems like most have been depth. That’s ok in general but pales in comparison to what SMUt and others are doing in the portal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For me it's about what I expected. I expected Littrell to do this kind of work, and he failed. What Morris and Co. are doing with culture and social media and recruiting should be the MINIMUM.

Now how this translates to wins and losses is the biggest question. If he comes out the gates swinging and strings together a few strong seasons, bowl wins, conference championships and gets hired away? Fantastic. Find another one. .500 football across the spans 3-4 seasons? Unacceptable. Just like it was with Littrell. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1