Breaking News: North Texas lands Ole Miss Transfer Robert Allen

On 5/9/2023 at 9:02 PM, DeepGreen said:

Wardly, I'm finding out that you and I have a lot in common when it comes to our time in college.

I was as prepared for college as Pompeii was for lava. No goals, no study habits, no direction, just a lot of no's. I just turned 80 last month and if I had  one ''do over" in life it would be to have signed up for the draft after my high school graduation in 1961. Viet Nam was not hot, I would have gotten some structure and discipline in my life , and been eligible for the GI Bill. Having said that I did pretty well in life in spite of myself.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

I was as prepared for college as Pompeii was for lava. No goals, no study habits, no direction, just a lot of no's. I just turned 80 last month and if I had  one ''do over" in life it would be to have signed up for the draft after my high school graduation in 1961. Viet Nam was not hot, I would have gotten some structure and discipline in my life , and been eligible for the GI Bill. Having said that I did pretty well in life in spite of myself.

Really enjoy reading your posts on here and your honesty.  Proud to have you as a fellow alum. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, wardly said:

OK, since we’re cleaning our dirty laundry……

I grew up knowing only of TAMU, Tulane, Lamar Tech, and SFA.  Then I heard about NTSU.  My cousin and I flew to Dallas, then bussed to Denton to check it out.  No campus tours at the time.  First to place visit…….check out the football stadium.  Wow!  Fouts Field was pretty awesome,

My Junior year at NT was at the height of Viet Nam.  Grades were iffy my Junior/Sr year so tried to get in to the Coast Guard.  Graduated NT summer of ‘69.  Coast Guard wasn’t necessary ‘cause the Nam war would be over.   My planning was bullet proof!  Until my draft notice arrived.  I was headed for Viet Nam! By way of Ft Polk, La (Basic Infantry training).  Next stop, Artillery School at Ft Sill, OK.   Perfect for a Marketing Major!

Arrived in Viet Nam May, 1970.  Spent 13-1/2 months there. Came back with all my limbs and no mental damage.  But I still think about Nam every day.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I started out at Navarro junior college and flunked out and my parents made me come home and attend a community college where I finally got my act together and improved my GPA while working a part time job moving furniture.  I heard about North Texas from a friend of my sister and figured I ought to give it a shot as I was running out of classes I could take towards my major at the community college.  Anyhow, I ended up applying and getting accepted and the rest is history.  I moved into West and stayed there until end of my junior year and moved to an apartment in cement city.

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1