Alcorn State (3/15/23)

15 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

He sure likes to dunk! Looks very athletic

What I like is that several of those resulted from opportunities he created himself off the dribble. We don’t have a lot of that currently. Hopefully he can also hit FTs! 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, keith said:

Late arriving crowd?  We did pretty well attendance-wise.  Over 4,300 and 922 more than last year's Texas State game.  Would be nice to eclipse the Virginia game too against SHSU for our second 5,000+ game.

image.png.8f6e6e403aea847e13972987526aa7ab.png

No way we had 4,300 last night. The sidelines looked pretty good but soft student turnout. Energy sucked, too, although Alcorn State brought quite a few people.

I do think we've got a good chance for a big crowd Sunday if students can be marketed to and get back on time. It's a favorable start time for both local alumni and current SHSU students/Huntsville residents to get to Denton as well. I hope for a packed lower bowl.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, aztecskin said:

its pretty in CBB to have 6'7" dudes as your four man. It brings versatility. If you get an athlete like Scott or Thomas Bell there you can do so much. I mean, Kawhi Leonard played the four as a 6'7" guy. 

For sure. Anytime we bring in someone 6’5”-6’7” I expect them to play 4 until I see them playing primarily on the wing, which hasn’t really happened with the guys we have brought in previously. Not that we have brought in a ton of guys in that height range.

Maybe we start bringing some more size at the wing in the AAC, but it seems like Mccasland’s formula is 3 guards, a decently skilled 6’6”/6’7” guy at the 4, and then more of a traditional big man at the 5. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

What I like is that several of those resulted from opportunities he created himself off the dribble. We don’t have a lot of that currently. Hopefully he can also hit FTs! 

He was 78.6% from free throws this season. Would have been 3rd on our team (excluding Moore due to limited attempts).

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Maybe we start bringing some more size at the wing in the AAC, but it seems like Mccasland’s formula is 3 guards, a decently skilled 6’6”/6’7” guy at the 4, and then more of a traditional big man at the 5. 

We need more bulk to play with physical teams.  UAB bullied us in the paint.  Abou is foul prone.  I would bet most of our losses this year were due to the other team scoring inside.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He needs to be part of a winning program that can teach him how to play winning basketball. By my count, he has 2 years left of eligibility.

If he plays defense as hard as he goes for dunks, can you imagine a 1->3 of Rubin, this kid, and Aaron????? Longest back court. 

23 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Who is the DUMBASS announcer who is saying North Texas State?

Hey, we've done it to ourselves with the NTSU uniforms, logos, and merchandise.

Otherwise the former school name would have dissipated over the 35 years since the change.

Edited by ADLER
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3

35 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Hey, we've done it to ourselves with the NTSU uniforms, logos, and merchandise.

Otherwise the former school name would have dissipated over the 35 years since the change.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Memphis or UTEP wearing retro uniforms and logos....

Memphis State uniforms prove magical for Tigers in win over SMU

USA Today Ranks Texas Western Throwback Best College ...

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

38 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Memphis or UTEP wearing retro uniforms and logos....

Memphis State uniforms prove magical for Tigers in win over SMU

USA Today Ranks Texas Western Throwback Best College ...

This is actually interesting... I'm not sure about utep, but I bet Memphis is called Memphis State way more than they want to be

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Memphis or UTEP wearing retro uniforms and logos..

I am not sure you understand what's going on here.

We are battling a problem created by generations of branding inconsistency.  There is a small army of media mouths out there that genuinely think we are North Texas State, despite being 30+ years removed from that name.  Not to mention the million shades of green that we have claimed as our own on uniforms and fan merch.

I don't care what other schools do.  Whether or not they are fighting the same battles we are, they are free to celebrate their past as they choose.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

I am not sure you understand what's going on here.

We are battling a problem created by generations of branding inconsistency.  There is a small army of media mouths out there that genuinely think we are North Texas State, despite being 30+ years removed from that name.  Not to mention the million shades of green that we have claimed as our own on uniforms and fan merch.

I don't care what other schools do.  Whether or not they are fighting the same battles we are, they are free to celebrate their past as they choose.

I totally understand what is going on.  Professional sports reporters can still be ignorant.  We were North Texas State (U., College, Normal) a lot longer than we have been U of North Texas.  Maybe we should just stuff Joe Greene into a bin so reporters stop seeing him and referring to his days at North Texas State?

49 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I totally understand what is going on.  Professional sports reporters can still be ignorant.  We were North Texas State (U., College, Normal) a lot longer than we have been U of North Texas.  Maybe we should just stuff Joe Greene into a bin so reporters stop seeing him and referring to his days at North Texas State?

We're getting to the point where people who weren't even alive when we were STATE still refer to us that way.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

People are definitely allowed to make mistakes,.  But I don't think I have to explain how those other teams - or any other team - are not facing these battles like we are.  That's why I posted my response.  We can all do throwback uniforms, but I think UNT has to be tasteful/careful about it.

As CMJ stated above, there are people out there that were not even alive when we were called that, and they are sitting in front of cameras perpetuating this on local/national broadcasts.

Edited by greenminer
  • Eye Roll 1