Athletic Director Communication

I feel for our basketball team. Tough loss, great year. 

Nevermind that...

Over the last 2 or 3 years we heard nothing from our athletics leader while our football team played uninspired ball. Several, including myself, kept asking for athletic director communication. However, the vast majority were under the impression that diming out an active head coach from the AD is unprofessional, and 'wHaT wOuLd iT AcCoMpLiSh', etc etc. Just way too much, frankly put, unheralded confidence. But AD's do put out statements and it happens often. Many times it's the only form of communication the director has with the very large portion of any fan base. Nonetheless, no other than utsas AD came out and put out a statement reassuring her fan base.. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Man I would be pissed if I were a UTSA fan....they're taking the worst basketball team in the conference to an upgraded conference and keeping the HC. Don't disagree on your Communication opinion....but that tweet just proves they have no interest in any sport but football and can't really afford to invest in any other sports anyway.

Pretty pathetic actually.......

Dude they have no money.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

But are they reassured? I still don’t understand what you think she gained from doing this. If I’m a UTSA fan, I don’t feel any better about my team knowing he’s “committed to substantive improvement.”

No. Not at all. No fan base is after this kind of thing. But at least it's being internally vocalized that the current BS isn't good enough and they expect more. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

But are they reassured? I still don’t understand what you think she gained from doing this. If I’m a UTSA fan, I don’t feel any better about my team knowing he’s “committed to substantive improvement.”

Agree.  It's her way of saying:  "Stop sending me emails, I can't afford to fire him yet."   Same with Wren and Benford's last season and Seth after 2021.  We had to put up with extra years of lameness before we could send them away.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Would it really make you feel better if the AD came out with a statement that we’re keeping a coach you don’t like? Bc it would piss me off more lol

A bit, yeah. At least she's being vocal about their joke of a basketball program, as hamstrung as she may be. 

Also, to a sliver of microscpopic degree, it's taking some accountability. Whether it be indirect or direct, she knows their athletic budget has been poured into football. And by most accounts, she approved these happenings and she's stepping out of the shadows to sort of swallow that pill. It shows vulnerability and a tiny amount of accountability.  Nothing that we have ever received, at least not to my knowledge in the 21st century.  

• Upvote 2

I don't know that the basketball situation at UTSA can be improved very much in one year.  What they need is a new gymnasium.  I doubt that many of the top notch basketballers are impressed with the current facility.  They likely can't afford to build a new facility or rent a larger facility.  It has to be a turnoff for the coach and prospects.  I predict that the next coach will suffer just as much as the current coach has.  He might be able to get some decent Division II players but the really good players like facilities at least as good as their current school so they can feel like they are in Division I.

• Upvote 2