Breaking News Seth Littrell has been fired.

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

He has one more year if he wants it. I might have his medical redshirt year wrong, but it’s something like this:

2017- redshirted 

2018- medical redshirt

2019- Redshirt freshmen

2020- COVID

2021- Redshirt sophomore 

2022- Redshirt junior

He should be pretty close to getting that UTSA Associates degree by now.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

You have to understand at a place like North Texas we don't expect you to fire a winning coach that has taken you to places you have never been.   He beat Arkansas in Fayetteville for goodness sakes.

This is either sarcasm or you're new around here.

1iwe9q.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

He has one more year if he wants it. I might have his medical redshirt year wrong, but it’s something like this:

2017- redshirted 

2018- medical redshirt

2019- Redshirt freshmen

2020- COVID

2021- Redshirt sophomore 

2022- Redshirt junior

His OC is headed to Oregon. Just saying

10 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I am just glad it is over.  I first guessed this like many others on this board.  They wasted a chance to be fully prepared for 2023 by giving Seth 2022.  Fortunately for us 2022 was just slightly above what we expected to be entertaining.  But I would have rather they fired him after UNLV game. Seeing the numbers on a Deion contract I think a 5 million per year package could have been put together and pitched to him with that lead time.  There is huge untapped UNT fan and Alumni money that would be available if a Dallas Cowboys associated NFL Hall of Famer and Superbowl winner came to coach.  Also the local business buyin would be on steroids with his association with the program.  Now I doubt he would come but it still would be a sound business decision for him and on the football side he would be coming to a program with no In Conference disadvantages.  At Colorado ESPN is coming to see his debute against a powerhouse TCU team.   Here ESPN comes to see him return to the Dallas area to face SMU [ Deion Sanders Jr's alma mater coincidentally   I don't know the status of USC's departure to the Big 10.  But as long as USC, Washington, and Oregon are in the Pac 12, Colorado is little brother(akin to Texas Tech, KSU, Baylor and OSU till UT and OU leave the Big 12).  He will win there but the ultimate prize in Colorado is the national championship.  There would arguably be an easier path here to a the playoff than Colorado.  And talent wise the Colorado team this past November would probably only -7 spread at home playing us.   

PR wise we would have benefited hugely if Sander's publicly acknowledged we made a competitive pitch.  A PR benefit bigger than an stumbling though the rest of this season to 7-6 to the same Bowl game we managed to get in last year.    A bowl game we would have lost regardless if Seth was declared safe to start the 2024 season or not.

You've got a lot of belief in Deion 

8 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

You have to understand at a place like North Texas we don't expect you to fire a winning coach that has taken you to places you have never been.   He beat Arkansas in Fayetteville for goodness sakes.

we have been all the places already that SL took us, give me a break. 

The Arkansas team he beat was horrible by their own standards. DD has wins over Baylor. 

New heights of getting a$$ kickings in every post season game, sure but give me a break with the SL a$$ kicking, he got paid lots of money and did not deliver to expectations.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

Corky Nelson, Matt Simon and Darrell Dickey beat Texas Tech in Lubbock.

• Upvote 2

I got a private message here from a new member suggesting that I'm not giving Seth Littrell his due for earning more bowl trips than any head coach in team history.

Yes, he went to five bowls and his teams will have gone to six counting this year's. But he had the good fortune to be coaching during an era of huge bowl inflation driven by content-hungry TV networks.

If Odus Mitchell had coached when six wins guaranteed a bowl trip, he would've taken North Texas to 12 bowls. Three more of his teams went 5-5 or 5-4-1.

Hayden Fry's teams went 7-4, 7-4, 10-1 and 9-2 from 1975 to 1978 and never got a bowl invitation.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, rcade said:

I got a private message here from a new member suggesting that I'm not giving Seth Littrell his due for earning more bowl trips than any head coach in team history.

Yes, he went to five bowls and his teams will have gone to six counting this year's. But he had the good fortune to be coaching during an era of huge bowl inflation driven by content-hungry TV networks.

If Odus Mitchell had coached when six wins guaranteed a bowl trip, he would've taken North Texas to 12 bowls. Three more of his teams went 5-5 or 5-4-1.

Hayden Fry's teams went 7-4, 7-4, 10-1 and 9-2 from 1975 to 1978 and never got a bowl invitation.

I remember the Independence Bowl was in play one year and they took La Tech who NT had slaughtered in a regular season game.  

Lot of difference between now when approximately 2/3 of teams get bowls and Fry's era when there may have been 10 bowls.