Can we stop talking about losing SL?

hickoryhouse

2 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm enjoying one of the best north Texas football seasons that I can remember! Why are we constantly beating ourselves up with the possibility of losing our coach, when we should just be enjoying the moment and everything that's going along with it! We have to stop talking about losing Seth! If just for now. Can we not just enjoy the moment, just for once?!

I do understand that it is a concern. But let's live in the now. Not in the future, what might happen, world.

Agreed. Something better kept to ourselves.

I'm enjoying the moment fine, but as fans this is part of it. We speculate about everything. And, I'd hope back-up plans A, B, and C are in place by this administration. Seth Litrell and his appeal aren't a secret. The media is going to talk about it, coaching circles will talk about it. There are a lot of really big, open jobs this year. 5? in the SEC alone. ASU's 7-5 Todd Graham was let go today. You can enjoy what you have and speculate when it's leaving.

For the record, I think we get one more year. I hope we tie in a hefty extension to get paid when he goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm enjoying one of the best north Texas football seasons that I can remember! Why are we constantly beating ourselves up with the possibility of losing our coach, when we should just be enjoying the moment and everything that's going along with it! We have to stop talking about losing Seth! If just for now. Can we not just enjoy the moment, just for once?!

I do understand that it is a concern. But let's live in the now. Not in the future, what might happen, world.

I hear you but we cannot afford to keep our head in the sand.  It's newsworthy and I just hope the powers that be at UNT are working non-stop to prepare for the possibility a bigger school with bigger pockets could come calling. 

Per Reports, Tennessee finalizing a deal for Ohio State DC Greg Schiano and Florida finalizing a deal with Miss State HC Dan Mullen. I think we're safe for this year unless a lower local P5 ends up looking for a coach which I doubt will happen. At the end of the day, this should be what we want. Yes it's a bit worrisome because we fear not being able to hire another decent coach but for that we just need to trust in the new AD to do their job and enjoy the on-the-field success.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I hear you but we cannot afford to keep our head in the sand.  It's newsworthy and I just hope the powers that be at UNT are working non-stop to prepare for the possibility a bigger school with bigger pockets could come calling. 

Lucky for us, we have an athletic director whose job it is to worry about those kinds of things.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LongJim said:

I long for the day when UNT fans can enjoy success without qualifying it with "yeah, but..." scenarios.

Unless we are in the top half of P5 schools that day will never come.  I am with Hickory on this one.  Absolutely nothing is gained by fixating on the idea of losing Littrel. We could double his salary and still lose him to many if not most P5 schools.  As to Emmitt’s point, I doubt he is on top of anyone’s list unless they already had an eye on him when he was a OC.  We seem to forget that there are several G5 head coaches with a more impressive body of work than Littrel.  I for one want to see how things go when the team is full of his players.  I would like to see recruiting improve.  Lastly, I would like to win a conference championship!  (maybe we will this year?)  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It’s reality. He’ll be gone sooner than later. However, that would be a good sign since it means he tore up CUSA and left NT a winning program. That’s NT’s best scenario. Up and coming coaches wanting to prove themselves before hitting the big time. We are just a step for them to move up on in the scheme of things. Kinda sad but true...

Edited by Got5onIt

31 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

It’s reality. He’ll be gone sooner than later. However, that would be a good sign since it means he tore up CUSA and left NT a winning program. That’s NT’s best scenario. Up and coming coaches wanting to prove themselves before hitting the big time. We are just a step for them to move up on in the scheme of things. Kinda sad but true...

And everyone reading this board knows that.   The question is why does that topic have to overtake every thread on hear?   We have conversations about a good win, a great performance by a player, the defense standing up or even the bowl and championship games.   Inevitably it always reverts back to SL leaving.  

We know.

its coming at some point    Can't we just enjoy this?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

I like Denton, too but money talks. SL would be stupid to pass on a big contract while his stock is at its peak. No way NT can match what some P5’s can give him. 

I don’t know about Seth being our “Patterson” times are different and TCU has played “big boy” football going back to the SWC.  However UNT could quickly be on par with Houston or Memphis as one the best G5 jobs you can get.  In few years Apogee could be expanded to 45,000 and actually need the space.  DFW is a great place to live and recruit.  You could dominate CUSA most years but not incur delusional anger of fan bases in one horse (football) town like San Antonio or even Memphis.  If that is to happen we need Seth around to continue the positive momentum for at least 2 more seasons.  Better for him because that would just make the contract offers higher from P5 schools.  I think he might want to stick around to groom Cade Pearson if he thinks he has NFL potential.  Getting a QB from North Texas drafted into one the first 4 rounds of the draft would be huge for Seth going forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great post.  I see no issue with discussing the scenarios as they play out.  Of course we’d love to keep him and have a Patterson scenario as you describe but that is not realistic anymore.  I am just thrilled to have a coach that others recognize and desire.  The last one we had was Jonny.  In football we haven’t had a HC anyone wanted at least in the modern era to my knowledge.  The last coach I believe that went on to better things was Jerry Moore who became the HC at Texas Tech.

4 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

You guys have a lot of opinions on Kiffin, here's mine on your coach.  Until he shows just a little bit of concern regarding defense you will not have to worry about him moving on.  Giving up that many points in the P5 means a short tenure.

Grudgingly, I agree with you.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

You guys have a lot of opinions on Kiffin, here's mine on your coach.  Until he shows just a little bit of concern regarding defense you will not have to worry about him moving on.  Giving up that many points in the P5 means a short tenure.

This doesn't hurt my feelings.