Can we stop talking about losing SL?

hickoryhouse

10 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

You guys have a lot of opinions on Kiffin, here's mine on your coach.  Until he shows just a little bit of concern regarding defense you will not have to worry about him moving on.  Giving up that many points in the P5 means a short tenure.

you speak the truth.  

10 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

You guys have a lot of opinions on Kiffin, here's mine on your coach.  Until he shows just a little bit of concern regarding defense you will not have to worry about him moving on.  Giving up that many points in the P5 means a short tenure.

I wouldn't even say defense, it's recruiting. Littrell has gotten his guys in there but until you can show a elite class or two, no P5's will want you.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Agreed, and some of think we should have left the DC in FL after how that game went..

Hoping LK and SL stick around and start the trend of staying at G5 schools instead of going to bigger places and dealing with the stress, etc of bigger P5 schools..

Edited by BTG_Fan1

Well, the last time we thought we had a HFC like this was in the early aughts with Dickey.  He fielded an awesome defense and the most boring offense in the land at a time when the spread was starting to rise.   I remember a couple of years there where we thought we'd lose him.  We never lost Dickey but we dang near lost every position coach over a few years and usually multiple departed a year.  That eventually beat him down.  Then, after DD was fired, our genius AD decided to pull a 180 and hired a HFC who believed in all offense, no defense or special teams.  Program demolished.

Here's to hoping we don't repeat history.  It already started last year with the departure of multiple assistants and very well could again this year.  I like Littrell.  I'd like to keep him.  What I'd like better is to have his success actually carried over for a long period of time.  Boise St and ArkSt lost HFCs repeatedly, but did a good job of keeping the same identity through multiple HFCs.  How exactly did they accomplish that?  That's what I'd rather focus on.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Well, the last time we thought we had a HFC like this was in the early aughts with Dickey.  He fielded an awesome defense and the most boring offense in the land at a time when the spread was starting to rise.   I remember a couple of years there where we thought we'd lose him.  We never lost Dickey but we dang near lost every position coach over a few years and usually multiple departed a year.  That eventually beat him down.  Then, after DD was fired, our genius AD decided to pull a 180 and hired a HFC who believed in all offense, no defense or special teams.  Program demolished.

Here's to hoping we don't repeat history.  It already started last year with the departure of multiple assistants and very well could again this year.  I like Littrell.  I'd like to keep him.  What I'd like better is to have his success actually carried over for a long period of time.  Boise St and ArkSt lost HFCs repeatedly, but did a good job of keeping the same identity through multiple HFCs.  How exactly did they accomplish that?  That's what I'd rather focus on.

I think there is something here about the assistants. I do think constant turnover there could become a problem. I think UNT needs to start giving them 2-year contracts with buyouts. That means that either we get them for at least 2 years (and they get job security in return) or we at least get a buyout when they leave, which will eliminate a lot of potential suitors and allow to pay the next assistant more.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3