Recruiting, Bowl Games and Timing

Caw Caw

First, let me say that the lack of news here is driving me a little insane, I really wish there was some trackable activity here. Since there isn't, I want to get a couple hot takes from you guys:

While we obviously know winning is a good thing for this program and it will help in the long term in a myriad of ways, does playing the two extra games this year also have a detrimental effect on the time they can invest in recruiting? The new football early signing period in December is open for 72 hours from the 20th through the end of the 22nd. And our coaches will likely not have been able to shift into recruiting mode.

Here's a look at the Bowl Games in conference:

Bowl                                   Date           Time              Matchup               Network
R+L Carriers New Orleans                 Sat., Dec. 16         12 pm CT              C-USA vs. Sun Belt                     ESPN

Gildan New Mexico                             Sat., Dec. 16         3:30 pm CT          C-USA vs. Mountain West        ESPN
Boca Raton                                         Tue., Dec. 19        6 pm CT                  C-USA vs. American                  ESPN
St. Petersburg                                     Thu., Dec. 21        7 pm CT                 C-USA vs. American                  ESPN
Bahamas                                             Fri., Dec. 22          11:30 am CT          C-USA vs. MAC                          ESPN
Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas                       Tue., Dec. 26        TBA                       C-USA vs. Big 12                        ESPN
*Independence                                    Wed., Dec. 27       12:30 p.m. CT      C-USA vs. ACC or SEC               ESPN

As you can see, the two bowl games are played after the signing period. And two of them are during. Obviously, the exposure, the extra practice, the money and potential title are good things, but will we be able to solidify the guys we need to during this time while being out-of-town and in need of focus? 

I do think the early signing period is a win for G5 schools. You can prevent late vulturing on some of your kids, and it opens up a longer period of being able to find guys who had their offers dry up and maybe didn't know they weren't in a P5 program's plans anymore. I think this staff does well with guys like Darden and Siggers and identifying their potential when their offers go. We always seem to have a few ships for those guys. As we've taken less JuCo kids, we've seen the coaches clamp down on qualifiers. Better to have someone who qualifies and can contribute a little than a star who never sees the field.

Last question is, what positions do we think we have left to fill with the remaining scholarships in the 2018 class?

27 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

First, let me say that the lack of news here is driving me a little insane, I really wish there was some trackable activity here. Since there isn't, I want to get a couple hot takes from you guys:

While we obviously know winning is a good thing for this program and it will help in the long term in a myriad of ways, does playing the two extra games this year also have a detrimental effect on the time they can invest in recruiting? The new football early signing period in December is open for 72 hours from the 20th through the end of the 22nd. And our coaches will likely not have been able to shift into recruiting mode.

Bowl                                   Date           Time              Matchup               Network
R+L Carriers New Orleans                 Sat., Dec. 16         12 pm CT              C-USA vs. Sun Belt                     ESPN

Gildan New Mexico                             Sat., Dec. 16         3:30 pm CT          C-USA vs. Mountain West        ESPN
Boca Raton                                         Tue., Dec. 19        6 pm CT                  C-USA vs. American                  ESPN
St. Petersburg                                     Thu., Dec. 21        7 pm CT                 C-USA vs. American                  ESPN
Bahamas                                             Fri., Dec. 22          11:30 am CT          C-USA vs. MAC                          ESPN
Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas                       Tue., Dec. 26        TBA                       C-USA vs. Big 12                        ESPN
*Independence                                    Wed., Dec. 27       12:30 p.m. CT      C-USA vs. ACC or SEC               ESPN

As you can see, the two bowl games are played after the signing period. And two of them are during. Obviously, the exposure, the extra practice, the money and potential title are good things, but will we be able to solidify the guys we need to during this time while being out-of-town and in need of focus? 

I do think the early signing period is a win for G5 schools. You can prevent late vulturing on some of your kids, and it opens up a longer period of being able to find guys who had their offers dry up and maybe didn't know they weren't in a P5 program's plans anymore. I think this staff does well with guys like Darden and Siggers and identifying their potential when their offers go. We always seem to have a few ships for those guys. As we've taken less JuCo kids, we've seen the coaches clamp down on qualifiers. Better to have someone who qualifies and can contribute a little than a star who never sees the field.

Last question is, what positions do we think we have left to fill with the remaining scholarships in the 2018 class?

If I'm a kid I don't early sign at a G5 what happens when you sign and coach leaves in January? 

15 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

If I'm a kid I don't early sign at a G5 what happens when you sign and coach leaves in January? 

Better question is, what happens when you do sign in December and the coaches leave in January? Is there an out? Does the staff have to honor those commitments?

27 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Better question is, what happens when you do sign in December and the coaches leave in January? Is there an out? Does the staff have to honor those commitments?

No out, you've signed a national letter of intent.  No longer a commitment, you're part of that signing class. 

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

If you're an mid-term guy and want to participate in spring ball, and all you have are G5 offers, you kind of need to.

Also, I think all P5 HC jobs will be filled by then. Those schools want their guys in by then, or at least decided by then, for the purposes of early signing too.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

I would say that you bring every kid you're recruiting to the bowl game, give them a jersey to wear and allow them to listen in to the position huddles as if they are a part of the team.

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

If you're an mid-term guy and want to participate in spring ball, and all you have are G5 offers, you kind of need to.

Also, I think all P5 HC jobs will be filled by then. Those schools want their guys in by then, or at least decided by then, for the purposes of early signing too.

Yeah I should have clarified.  For sure on the JUCO's but now as a HS coach we preach to our kids fall in love with the school not the coach because you never know when that coach may move on or get fired.  Part of the reason Gibbs chose UNT.  Loves campus, has major he wants, football facilities on rise, and it's 30 minute drive and he's home getting home cooked meals.  

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I would say that you bring every kid you're recruiting to the bowl game, give them a jersey to wear and allow them to listen in to the position huddles as if they are a part of the team.

Illegal on a bunch of levels. 

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Yeah I should have clarified.  For sure on the JUCO's but now as a HS coach we preach to our kids fall in love with the school not the coach because you never know when that coach may move on or get fired.  Part of the reason Gibbs chose UNT.  Loves campus, has major he wants, football facilities on rise, and it's 30 minute drive and he's home getting home cooked meals.  

That's great. I wish more high school coaches and mentors preached that. Keep up the good work!

Just now, BillySee58 said:

That's great. I wish more high school coaches and mentors preached that. Keep up the good work!

Me too, I appreciate it! Got 4 sophomores I'd love to see land at UNT lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1