PIVOTAL GAME V LA TECH

djohnnie

Next weeks game versus LA Tech is pivotal for the final two home games home attendance figures. Unfortunately,

our fan base is a week to week proposition on if they attend the games or not. If we come out with a W, it will increase interest

in the program. We will still be in first place, and It will bring more fans to draw interest to the already large homecoming crowd.

This could lead to a very large army crowd to finish out the home schedule if we condinue our winning ways. The game though is pivotal not only in terms of attendance

but in our conference seeding. A loss will be detrimental toward seeding, attendance and the momentum we need to finish strong. Here's to the Green.

Go get em boys and finish out strong. GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

It definitely seems like we've had many "biggest games of the season" but undoubtedly there's a lot on the line again against Louisiana Tech. It would be HUGE if we left Ruston with a win. If we do, the athletics department and school should be promoting the hell out of the UTEP game: claim your tickets to see the Mean Green try to clinch a trip to their first C-USA Championship Game!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

It definitely seems like we've had many "biggest games of the season" but undoubtedly there's a lot on the line again against Louisiana Tech. It would be HUGE if we left Ruston with a win. 

If winning the West is still our goal, this is the biggest game of the season to this point.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Be cool to see a bus or 2 head east full of students for this one.

Haha...yeah, can we get a bus load of students to consider going from the middle of campus to apogee for our next home game?  Maybe that will help to get these people to attend a game...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We can make attendance excuses with the best of em but...ODU until recent years has been a basketball only school with zero football legacy.

Homecoming will have a built-in crowd albeit I'll be DJ'ing a wedding & will miss the fun & some say Army will draw which is probably true.  

Methinks I won't live long enough to see us acting like a school our size concerning the attendance issue.  If attendance ever becomes a criteria (again) on some future re- alignment will we be left at the train station (again) & will we see another school we were once at the same level go Beep! Beep! right past us?  🤦🏽‍♂️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

51 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Methinks I won't live long enough to see us acting like a school our size concerning the attendance issue.  If attendance ever becomes a criteria (again) on some future re- alignment will we be left at the train station (again)?  

Yes, it will. When the Power Leagues fully separate, the two G5 conferences that will have the capability to play them in OOC play, the MWC and AAC. The rest of us will not. We cant get into the AAC because of SMU being in our market already. That leaves the MWC. Our fans want nothing to do with going out west, so even if the MWC wanted us, it doesn’t appear that the fan base has any interest in going the route that TCU took. 

So yeah, we will see TCU, Baylor, and others go to the MWC when the Big XII folds up shop when their GOR expires in 2025. That’s when this all finally relegates the rest of the lower G5’s to be in a new level of play with the Top schools in FCS now.  That’s just how it goes when you started caring about sports and facilities about 30 years later than you should have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I agree that name recognition seems to be the only way our student body shows up in decent numbers.

We have to ask how do we get there? It would appear constant winning would do it,  but I am not sure that would do it for our fan base. They want name recognition before they show up. Unfortunately, in our world you have to beat the likes of schools like us on a constant basis before any recognition happens. The powers that be look at that and what kind of attendance base you have. We don't have much of a track record for either. Lets start with constant winning and see where it goes from there.

• Upvote 1

remember people thought UTSA was a key game, every game is important that we have not played.  We have no breathing room.  Hopefully the the defense, offense and special teams show for the LA Tech game.

6 hours ago, djohnnie said:

Next weeks game versus LA Tech is pivotal for the final two home games home attendance figures. Unfortunately,

our fan base is a week to week proposition on if they attend the games or not. If we come out with a W, it will increase interest

in the program. We will still be in first place, and It will bring more fans to draw interest to the already large homecoming crowd.

This could lead to a very large army crowd to finish out the home schedule if we condinue our winning ways. The game though is pivotal not only in terms of attendance

but in our conference seeding. A loss will be detrimental toward seeding, attendance and the momentum we need to finish strong. Here's to the Green.

Go get em boys and finish out strong. GMG

and if the weather is perfect at 72 degrees at game time with no wind or rain and a full moon.

• Upvote 1

This season is starting to look a lot like 2013.

Playing a traditional P5 power team very tough, an unexplainably-bad loss on the road, coupled with an otherwise fast start to conference play, an emotional home win against a preseason division favorite...  

A dropped game against a tough divisional opponent that knocks us out of the West Division lead?   

In 2013, the UTSA game is the one that gets everyone in a huff.  The one that spoiled 'what could have been'.   
I hope this year's squad can look back at recent history, see the correlations (heck, some of these guys were THERE and should be able to communicate it clearly), and focus enough to not let history repeat itself this weekend in Ruston.

Want to go win a C-USA championship?

MichaelIrvin.jpg

I don't know what North Texas team will show up. The one that beat So. Miss. on the road, or the one that got pounded at FAU.If we lose we are still in good shape. La. Tech still has to play FAU and UTSA, while we finish conference play against UTEP and Rice and own the tiebreaker with So. Miss.

• Lovely Take 2

I hope we don't have to back into it.  UTEP hasn't won a game yet and that make me a little nervous.  Seems someone also trips up and loses to the O'fer team.  I sure the coaching staff won't play everyone before they leave.  Speaking of that I see Chico is a possibility  for the UTEP HC job.  Hope he gets it.

• Upvote 1