SMU-UNT game in 1989

untjim1995

I know that we lost this game pretty badly and gave SMU only their 2nd win of 1989, the year they returned from the Death penalty. My question for those who were around then was what the feeling was going into this game around the program and what the feeling was afterwards? Just thinking about it, from someone who wasn’t there but saw SMU play that season against the SWC teams was that they were just completely undermanned, but they just whipped us that day, so I’ve always wondered how in the world they killed us that day. Corky’s teams usually played much better than this against SWC teams...

The game was at Ownby Stadium.  It was the one loss after following Mean Green football since 1973 of which being totally disgusted I almost took my class ring off to throw it out on the football field.  I didn't & then we beat SMU at Fouts the next Fall before a packed stadium with the game being televised with Merle Harmon & Allan Stone doing the broadcast.  UNT QB Davis & RB Eric Pegram stole the show.  The final play of the 1'st half was a blocked SMU field goal that ended in both teams emptying the bench for a neighborhood brawl. 

🎞📀I gave a DVD copy of that game to the Beyond the Green folks who were going to digitize it. I hope they were successful.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The game was at Ownby Stadium.  It was the one loss after following Mean Green football since 1973 of which being totally disgusted I almost took my class ring off to throw it out on the football field.  I didn't & then we beat SMU at Fouts the next Fall before a packed stadium with the game being televised with Merle Harmon & Allan Stone doing the broadcast.  UNT QB Davis & RB Eric Pegram stole the show.  The final play of the 1'st half was a blocked SMU field goal that ended in both teams emptying the bench for a neighborhood brawl. 

🎞📀I gave a DVD copy of that game to the Beyond the Green folks who were going to digitize it. I hope they were successful.

So what happened that day in 89? SMU was just a terribly undersized team for D-1A, which i get, and we were I-AA, but we usually played SWC teams very solidly...Was SMU just completely charged up for this game because they knew it was the only one on their schedule, after they beat UConn on the last play in their second game, that they had any chance to compete in?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

So what happened that day in 89? SMU was just a terribly undersized team for D-1A, which i get, and we were I-AA, but we usually played SWC teams very solidly...Was SMU just completely charged up for this game because they knew it was the only one on their schedule, after they beat UConn on the last play in their second game, that they had any chance to compete in?

What happened?  They wanted that win more than we did so they went out & got it.

They had a pretty good QB named Mike Romo & late CBS broadcaster Frank Glieber's son (Mitch) was a pretty good receiver.  

This:  Amazing how the 'Stangs came back from a UH massacre (95-21)  the previous week to beat what had to be a terribly prepared Mean Green football team.

The Death Penalty still didn't stop SMU from out-recruiting UNT in most future years. For whatever all the (psychological?) reasons, it's a hurdle we can't seem to overcome.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

Yeah, they just wanted it more.  A bunch of UNT fans were chanting “95-21!!!!”  cause SMU lost the week before to Houston.  It pretty came back to bite us in the A$$.  

Man, I went to look that up because I didn't believe you!  I was also shocked to see that 5 of their 11 games were against ranked teams that year.  Damn!