GoMeanGreen.com Barbershop Podcast #179 Audio Link

Harry

600x600bb-85.jpg

Join @Evan @Harry  and @BeyondTheGreen as well as GMG.com recruiting guru @TheReal_jayD basketball expert @TheTastyGreek and Denton Record Chronicle beat writer @Brett Vito as they take a look at Mean Green Basketball hiring of Grant McCasland and a top notch staff, Football Spring Training, as well as other Mean Green sports news including the new proposed indoor practice facility. 

Click here to listen to the show: http://gomeangreenbarbershop.libsyn.com/podcast/barbershop-podcast-179

Never though I would hear someone concerned that NT paid too much for a coach.

Frankly, I didn't get the point that compensation should be tied somehow to the fact that CUSA is a one bid NCAA conference.   That is like believing that the football coaches compensation should be tied to the likelihood of getting into the playoff series.

The sad fact is that the NT salary is high only compared to CUSA at this point in time.   Two years down the road it probably won't be.   

I can only hope that NT gets good enough that rpi's mean something.   Setting at a rpi of 338, I am not worrying about NT suffering because of conference affiliation.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5

On 3/30/2017 at 7:55 AM, NorthTexan95 said:

That was a great podcast.  Lots of informed opinions ... lots of good discussion ... let's do more of that. 

Thanks for your kind comments.  We appreciate any positive feedback.

Enjoyed the pod, guys!

While I certainly don't agree with the view that the McCasland hire is a misguided allocation of resources, I definitely support the open discussion with varied opinion.  I only wish others would have challenged the complete resignation to CUSA being a one bid conference.  If all programs improved collectively, what's to keep CUSA from occasionally having multiple representatives?  Also, spending this kind of money suggests the expectation of McCasland is that he be that one bid, if the conference only gets one.  I'm very excited to place that level of expectation on the program.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

Enjoyed the pod, guys!

While I certainly don't agree with the view that the McCasland hire is a misguided allocation of resources, I definitely support the open discussion with varied opinion.  I only wish others would have challenged the complete resignation to CUSA being a one bid conference.  If all programs improved collectively, what's to keep CUSA from occasionally having multiple representatives?  Also, spending this kind of money suggests the expectation of McCasland is that he be that one bid, if the conference only gets one.  I'm very excited to place that level of expectation on the program.

Thank you for your comments.  As you may know, Tasty is a dear friend of this site and the program in general.  His knowledge of UNT basketball and just basketball in general is superb.  So, while I don't personally agree with his assessment in this particular regard, I certainly believe he - given his long term status as a super fan and season ticket holder -makes him more than worthy of giving us his honest and personal take on things.  I tend to agree with you in that C-USA has better days ahead of it as a basketball conference.  I would restate Tasty's position is that McCaskand is a good coach and hire.  He just disagreed with the amount of money spent versus the payoff for UNT.  For me, if you find "the Guy" you go get him and ifn it increase the allotment of capital directed toward the "Window of the University" so be it.  Frankly it is about time.  Just think what this program and fanbase could be given some modicum of success on a  consistent basis.  Those of us who have followed it for awhile yearn for the day when we match our potential on the field of play.  What a great day that will be.

We on this site do appreciate all opinion and vantage points in regards to our beloved alma mater. For those of our green brothers who cross over to the other side... we only hope given increasing results and just time we will again see them rejoin us.

I again would like to reiterate we truly appreciate any and all feedback on the podcast.  GMG.

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

My podcatcher loaded the thing up and I listed today.  I'm just assuming, but I would think an iTunes upload would be higher up the priority list.

My bad.  Just noticed a message in iTunes telling me it'd stopped auto loading this podcast because it'd been a long time since a new one had appeared. All fixed now.  Thanks. 

On 3/30/2017 at 10:36 AM, GrandGreen said:

Never though I would hear someone concerned that NT paid too much for a coach.

Frankly, I didn't get the point that compensation should be tied somehow to the fact that CUSA is a one bid NCAA conference.   That is like believing that the football coaches compensation should be tied to the likelihood of getting into the playoff series.

How is that a like comparison? Four teams make the CFP vs 68 teams making the NCAA tournament.

A point that Tasty made that seemed to get buried by everyone get caught up on the general statement that we overpaid is that we would be paying to play. His point was that while winning 20 games is nice, we're not breaking even if we lose in the conference tourney at the salary that we are paying Mccasland and our staff.

I'd have to look at the numbers to see how true that is, but if Tasty said it then I'm sure it was a well-informed statement.

As of now, I'm happy with the Mccasland hire and am not concerned with the cost since it's not my money. But as Tasty said, it becomes an issue if the cost becomes too high to be bought out in the event of things not working out.

On 3/30/2017 at 10:36 AM, GrandGreen said:

It's a matter of risk and ROI.  If there is only one bid in CUSA, salary/budget can be one indication as to who is prioritizing basketball.  In other words, who thinks enough of the program to invest efforts/funds to compete for that bid.

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

How is that a like comparison? Four teams make the CFP vs 68 teams making the NCAA tournament.

A point that Tasty made that seemed to get buried by everyone get caught up on the general statement that we overpaid is that we would be paying to play. His point was that while winning 20 games is nice, we're not breaking even if we lose in the conference tourney at the salary that we are paying Mccasland and our staff.

I'd have to look at the numbers to see how true that is, but if Tasty said it then I'm sure it was a well-informed statement.

As of now, I'm happy with the Mccasland hire and am not concerned with the cost since it's not my money. But as Tasty said, it becomes an issue if the cost becomes too high to be bought out in the event of things not working out.

OK, make the comparison between the final four and the CFP, doesn't change the point.  NT is a very very long shot to do either.   With over half the football teams going to bowls, that is not comparable to basketball were only about 20% go to the tournament and that percentage plummets for lower tier conferences.   

Paying more for a coach only increases the probability of success.   Granted the only way that NT is going to actually make money in MBB is to go at least a couple of rounds in the NCAA tournament, something that has never happened.   That is true, but IMO not all that pertinent to NT.  

When is  breaking even for the majority of college programs, even a thought in modern college sports. point.   NT loses tons of money on MBB, so the question is how to lose less and get the most out of money spend.    

I really think Baker and NT got this one right.  Not because that McCasland is any kind of a guaranteed success, but because NT needed to make a statement and they did.   Hiring another assistant coach for $400k wouldn't have made that statement.   After two of the worst hires possible in the last 3 attempts, it was very important that NT showed it was serious about basketball.

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It's a matter of risk and ROI.  If there is only one bid in CUSA, salary/budget can be one indication as to who is prioritizing basketball.  In other words, who thinks enough of the program to invest efforts/funds to compete for that bid.

If return on investment was a major factor, college sports would be a lot cheaper or non-existent.