Question About Private High Schools

UNTLifer

4 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

This shows me that you do not have a lot of knowledge about the Private Schools and their campuses.  There are quite a few of them that do not have a Middle School entirely.  What is your reply then, do not exist as a school or compete in sports?

I was referring to the UIL and public schools.  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Midland Christian is pretty notorious for going after the non-starters at the local public high schools, but I didn't know if they could offer financial assistance.  I know some of the kids that played there would have a hard time affording tuition.

I was just about to ask you if your original question was in reference to Midland Christian.  I saw they hung with Brock at the first of the year and had heard they were getting kids in from Midland, Odessa and San Angelo areas.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I was just about to ask you if your original question was in reference to Midland Christian.  I saw they hung with Brock at the first of the year and had heard they were getting kids in from Midland, Odessa and San Angelo areas.

Rick

Midland Christian is always a football powerhouse. The fact that they regularly win state/compete for state titles tells you something. I knew a lot of kids at Lee/Midland High that were talented and went there because they knew they had a better shot at winning state/going far in the playoffs

16 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Brock siphons kids from Weatherford.  

Reminds me of this:  Growing up the best running back in the city was on my junior high team.  Kid was clearly going to be a stud HS RB.  He lived with his grandmother, who supported them by being a church cleaning lady.  

One day she gets a fantastic new job offer.  Be the cleaning lady at another church.  Get paid five times as much.  Job even came with a custodian's house to live in rent free.  All she had to do was move across district lines to the Powerhouse schools area.

He played on that Powerhouse schools team.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Reminds me of this:  Growing up the best running back in the city was on my junior high team.  Kid was clearly going to be a stud HS RB.  He lived with his grandmother, who supported them by being a church cleaning lady.  

One day she gets a fantastic new job offer.  Be the cleaning lady at another church.  Get paid five times as much.  Job even came with a custodian's house to live in rent free.  All she had to do was move across district lines to the Powerhouse schools area.

someone went to Odessa High....

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

The UIL needs to put their foot down and end the out-of-control transferring for athletics.

I suggest they make it a requirement that if you want to play varsity you must have attended said district prior to the 7th grade.

Should a kid have to transfer in due to circumstances out of their control?  Fine.  You can play football...but you can't play Varsity football.

That'll stop that transferring $hit real quick.

Rick

But if I move from the north side of Waco to the south side of Waco to be closer to my existing job on the south side then my son cannot transfer from 2A school to play at a big 6 A school where he has better chance to get a D1 scholarship??  I am moving my legal residence....

Or my inner city Waco family cannot move out of dreadfully bad Waco ISD to go to a much higher rated China Spring ISD? 

Both are legal scenarios.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

someone went to Odessa High....

Hayden Fry

When Fry played safety and quarterback for Odessa High School in the 1940s, their stands routinely had sellout crowds. In Fry's senior year, Odessa won 14 straight games, scoring almost 400 points and allowing about 50. Odessa did not commit a single turnover all season. The Texas state playoffs placed every school into a single bracket. At the end of the year, Hayden Fry quarterbacked Odessa to the Texas state high school championship in 1946.

46 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

The UIL needs to put their foot down and end the out-of-control transferring for athletics.

I suggest they make it a requirement that if you want to play varsity you must have attended said district prior to the 7th grade.

Should a kid have to transfer in due to circumstances out of their control?  Fine.  You can play football...but you can't play Varsity football.

That'll stop that transferring $hit real quick.

This idea assumes that there is only one reason that anyone would ever move; to play football at a better school. Life is not that simple and to treat it this way would be to the detriment to many kid's futures. If you don't play varsity, your chances of ever playing in college diminish greatly. There are probably other ways to address this that don't tie a family to a residence for six years. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

Brock siphons kids from Weatherford.  

Don't get me started...LOL

At least though when they are in the playoffs and you've watched their kids grow up with your own prior to moving out...you never have to look up their number in the game program.

See how I'm trying to be positive here?  This whole back door bowling thing has me turning over a new leaf I tell ya!

11 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

But if I move from the north side of Waco to the south side of Waco to be closer to my existing job on the south side then my son cannot transfer from 2A school to play at a big 6 A school where he has better chance to get a D1 scholarship??  I am moving my legal residence....

Or my inner city Waco family cannot move out of dreadfully bad Waco ISD to go to a much higher rated China Spring ISD? 

Both are legal scenarios.   

And like I said...your kid can transfer. And your kid can play 4 years of high school football at that 6A school.

He just can't play on the varsity.  He'll play JV just like the DEC in Denton and the UIL in Austin mandated  Dillman to do.

And if he's good the colleges will find him.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 4

30 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

CELINA. BOBCATS.

5 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Or WOS, or Gilmer, Guyer, Cibolo Steele, or any other traditionally strong program?

Probably too many to actually mention them all...

Not going to knock on Guyer... Lol

Basketball has collectively been a lot worse in recruiting in the recent years than football has.  UIL really needs to reevaluate managing this AGAIN.    It's almost like they go on hiatus every five years.

NOT TO MENTION...  Basketball  rules in regards to officiating.   They have thrown in a couple of new rules that completely take away the post game.  Hate it.

Edited by SSP

4 minutes ago, SSP said:

CELINA. BOBCATS.

Not going to knock on Guyer... Lol

Basketball has collectively been to a lot worse in recruiting in the recent years than football has.  UIL really needs to reevaluate managing this AGAIN.    It's almost like they go on hiatus every five years.

I'm not sure what UIL could do to clean up basketball transfers that would actually be accepted by most schools.

They could pull all transfer decisions up to UIL and have a burden of proof for need to transfer, but that might be a bureaucratic nightmare.

6 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I'm not sure what UIL could do to clean up basketball transfers that would actually be accepted by most schools.

They could pull all transfer decisions up to UIL and have a burden of proof for need to transfer, but that might be a bureaucratic nightmare.

I agree.  Most of the decisions are left up to the district within the guidelines of what UIL has structured but if they had had some level of stability in the rules 20 years ago it would have made a bigger difference.    A certain HOF coach from Celina ( who is a friend of mine, btw...) kind of broke the mold on this subject. You can't stop anyone from leaving a public school to go to a private but public to public school transfers are OUT OF CONTROL.   ESPECIALLY when they transfer between 3 local schools  within their high school career.

There are too many loopholes to count.

Edited by SSP

29 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

This idea assumes that there is only one reason that anyone would ever move; to play football at a better school. Life is not that simple and to treat it this way would be to the detriment to many kid's futures. If you don't play varsity, your chances of ever playing in college diminish greatly. There are probably other ways to address this that don't tie a family to a residence for six years. 

Nope.  If a kid is good enough to play college the recruiters will find him Even on a JV team.  

I never said it would be a fun thing to do, or an easy thing to accomplish.  But something this drastic must happen. To change the culture we currently have.  It's not too much more drastic than No Pass No Play was in the 80's.

Once it's established for a couple of years down the road the adjustments will have been accepted. 

Rick

• Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

And like I said...your kid can transfer. And your kid can play 4 years of high school football at that 6A school.

He just can't play on the varsity.  He'll play JV just like the DEC in Denton and the UIL in Austin mandated  Dillman to do.

Rick

It's a nuclear bomb to kill a nat. No family could buy a new house, get divorced or take a better job without their child suffering a consequence through no fault of their own. Putting aside any lawsuits, the UIL Legislative Council would never pass it. Any of them who voted in favor would be vilified in the the press and probably have to resign. I honestly doubt you could find a member willing to even propose something that draconian. 

Perhaps one of the attorneys here could comment on the chances of that withstanding a lawsuit. 

As I understand it, the local UIL  committee and later one in Austin both found that Dillman DID transfer for athletic purposes. I could be wrong on that one. 

15 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I've given you the answer.

Rick

37 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Don't get me started...LOL

At least though when they are in the playoffs and you've watched their kids grow up with your own prior to moving out...you never have to look up their number in the game program.

See how I'm trying to be positive here?  This whole back door bowling thing has me turning over a new leaf I tell ya!

Rick

This isn't accurate.  

This topic is ultimately in the hands of the district committee to decide.  And for scheduling purposes (favors),  politics and God knows what else...  These strings get pulled frequently.  

http://www.uiltexas.org/policy/eligibility

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I've given you the answer.

Rick

Even less likely to come to pass than what I said. 

Less draconian, but still along the lines of what you propose is to make a mandatory year sit out for all transfers (including move ins from out of state) regardless of reason. Any appeals go straight to state.

That's far more doable than 'no moves allowed after 6th grade...

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

t's not too much more drastic than No Pass No Play was in the 80's.

Once it's established for a couple of years down the road the adjustments will have been accepted. 

Rick

Yes, it's vastly different! No pass no play always had the option of coming back once a student's grades improved. Your proposal is you move, your done and goodbye varsity. No pass no play was also passed by the Legislature, not the UIL council. There is even LESS chance someone facing an election would consider that as it was mean certain defeat in the next election. 

Also, no pass no play was based on the actions of the student, not some third party of which the student has no control. 

And don't forget, the massive complaints caused a lowering of the no pass no play rules. This would be more extreme. 

Simply adding to the review process on transfers would pass muster.

6 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

It's a nuclear bomb to kill a nat. No family could buy a new house, get divorced or take a better job without their child suffering a consequence through no fault of their own. Putting aside any lawsuits, the UIL Legislative Council would never pass it. Any of them who voted in favor would be vilified in the the press and probably have to resign. I honestly doubt you could find a member willing to even propose something that draconian. 

Perhaps one of the attorneys here could comment on the chances of that withstanding a lawsuit. 

As I understand it, the local UIL  committee and later one in Austin both found that Dillman DID transfer for athletic purposes. I could be wrong on that one. 

It's not a UIL  Committee that has authority in these matters.  It's the district committee that makes the final decision on whether or not it was a move related to extracurricular purposes...

And they did find that Dilman was transferred because of those reasons. Because... He did. Lol