New Commit 10/25

TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

2 from scout, nothing from rivals.

So, essentially, had Texas or the like offered, 4 star.  Composite average-doesn't that lead to a 3 star?  

So much nicer to be back stateside- I can actually see things happen in real time. 

Just now, Silent Eagle said:

So, essentially, had Texas or the like offered, 4 star.  Composite average-doesn't that lead to a 3 star?  

So much nicer to be back stateside- I can actually see things happen in real time. 

I suppose...if Texas were forced to offer 240 pound DTs; they're not, so it's a mute point.  We don't recruit the same DTs Texas does, nor will we.

But, what difference does it make?  Are there really people here that believe we are going to compete with Texas for DTs?

As far as star ratings, I don't think we'll see a significant shift from the past.  Prep player perceive us how they perceive us:  and, we're not on TV enough to be perceived by enough of the 3-star or higher. 

So, we'll get what everyone else at our level gets:  a bunch of 2-star kids, some 1-stars, many with none, a few 3, and once in a great while a 4-star.  And, that's fine.  We're in the C-USunBelt Conference, so it's all we need,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I suppose...if Texas were forced to offer 240 pound DTs; they're not, so it's a mute point.  We don't recruit the same DTs Texas does, nor will we.

But, what difference does it make?  Are there really people here that believe we are going to compete with Texas for DTs?

As far as star ratings, I don't think we'll see a significant shift from the past.  Prep player perceive us how they perceive us:  and, we're not on TV enough to be perceived by enough of the 3-star or higher. 

So, we'll get what everyone else at our level gets:  a bunch of 2-star kids, some 1-stars, many with none, a few 3, and once in a great while a 4-star.  And, that's fine.  We're in the C-USunBelt Conference, so it's all we need,

In the short term, yes.  I hope we can set our sights a bit higher in the future.  The expectation should be that we get on TV more and the program is viewed by higher level recruits as more of an option than now.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I would expect that he has been recruited as a DE since we have young DT's in T.J. (took the easy way out), Young, Englksh, Combes, etc...and with King verballed.  We llse quite a bit at DE.  Off the top of my head and without looking at the roster, we will lose Combs, Roberts and Dilonga from the 2 deep.

15 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Agreed. A $400,000 / school TV deal is a tremendously disappointing arrangement for C-USA. 

The money within and of itself is disappointing and a slap in the face of CUSA and its members. But the general exposure has been horrible this year. It's to the point of if one of our conference foes aren't playing on a P5 network we aren't on TV. That's bullshit. G5's have to come together and battle the NCAA and P5. While the competitive gap slowly starts to close the NCAA, P5, TV networks are doing their part to ensure the financial gap stays status quo or widens further. As a unit, the 'G5' has the power to stop this train and they seemingly don't care as long they are periodically thrown scraps (shitty TV deals and payout "P5" games). G5 has to put their foot down while drawing a line in the sand. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The money within and of itself is disappointing and a slap in the face of CUSA and its members. But the general exposure has been horrible this year. It's to the point of if one of our conference foes aren't playing on a P5 network we aren't on TV. That's bullshit. G5's have to come together and battle leave the NCAA and P5. While the competitive gap slowly starts to close the NCAA, P5, TV networks are doing their part to ensure the financial gap stays status quo or widens further. As a unit, the 'G5' has the power to stop this train and they seemingly don't care as long they are periodically thrown scraps (shitty TV deals and payout "P5" games). G5 has to put their foot down while drawing a line in the sand. 

I honestly think the P5 will jettison the NCAA in the future anyway.  They are already rewriting the rule book in their favor. 

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I honestly think the P5 will jettison the NCAA in the future anyway.  They are already rewriting the rule book in their favor. 

Then they need to kick rocks. But once they do they shouldn't be allowed to call themselves "college" football. They should go ahead and be open about their payment to players so we can expedite the process. They can be semi-professional football players and they don't even have to be students or affiliated with the educational part of the university. As for real college athletics, I am sure we'll gladly carry the torch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Then they need to kick rocks. But once they do they shouldn't be allowed to call themselves "college" football. They should go ahead and be open about their payment to players so we can expedite the process. They can be semi-professional football players and they don't even have to be students or affiliated with the educational part of the university. As for real college athletics, I am sure we'll gladly carry the torch. 

Unfortunately, for too many of the major P5 players, it's NFL or bust be it through the draft or UFA. They want to be paid so pay them but don't let them get the free education, etc... Ben Simmons (basketball player from LSU) recently "shut up" a critic on Twitter who said Ben failed every class he was in at LSU by saying he never went to class which is why he failed.

They could fill their own league of 20-30 teams and the rest of the country can play college football. I only say 20-30 teams because most P5s would probably be alienated at that point as well. You can probable take the 20 teams that pay their coaches the most from this list http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ and create a league. I doubt the rest of the P5s would bring in enough revenue from college football alone to be able to to pay their players. Add in basketball schools and have them be semi-pro as well, you probably find a more defined P5/G5 split.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Unfortunately, for too many of the major P5 players, it's NFL or bust be it through the draft or UFA. They want to be paid so pay them but don't let them get the free education, etc... Ben Simmons (basketball player from LSU) recently "shut up" a critic on Twitter who said Ben failed every class he was in at LSU by saying he never went to class which is why he failed.

They could fill their own league of 20-30 teams and the rest of the country can play college football. I only say 20-30 teams because most P5s would probably be alienated at that point as well. You can probable take the 20 teams that pay their coaches the most from this list http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ and create a league. I doubt the rest of the P5s would bring in enough revenue from college football alone to be able to to pay their players. Add in basketball schools and have them be semi-pro as well, you probably find a more defined P5/G5 split.

I thought this actually happened though. Wasn't there a lot of feather rustling around the Christmas break because of his lack of effort/attendance in class? 

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You were going okay until you made it sound like 1-star ratings exist.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I thought this actually happened though. Wasn't there a lot of feather rustling around the Christmas break because of his lack of effort/attendance in class? 

It probably did. The reason I bring it up though is because he never went to class. I don't know if he intended to call himself out or if he's just that dumb but he admitted to never going to class. We know about North Carolina's basketball team as well (regarding the integrity of their student-athletes academics). Syracuse did something similar if I'm not mistaken as did Oklahoma State. And those are the ones that have been caught in the past 5 years. My point in bringing that up is that a significant amount of the "student athletes" who play for the consistently top 20 football and basketball programs have no intentions of graduating to lead careers outside of sports. Their post college days they're either playing oversees if they played college basketball or coaching middle school, high school, or college teams.

Edited by GMG_Dallas