Littrell press conference

@UNTSportsFan

9 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

its live and working on facebook, they acknowledged to me on there that they are having difficulty showing it live on meangreensports.com but that they will have the full press conference up soon. I'm watching on facebook as i type this.

Thank you. I don't have Facebook so I got stuck watching the Charlotte press conference ?

I just watched the tail end of the press conference.  Morris did audible to the pass on that 4th and one when he saw Zero coverage.  Litrell said it was a bad decision but said it's also on the coaches because they need to make sure Morris knows what they want in that situation.  He also said we may have scored on the 3rd down play if the running back had run it correctly.  

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I just watched the tail end of the press conference.  Morris did audible to the pass on that 4th and one when he saw Zero coverage.  Litrell said it was a bad decision but said it's also on the coaches because they need to make sure Morris knows what they want in that situation.  He also said we may have scored on the 3rd down play if the running back had run it correctly.  

I think Morris let nerves get the best of him. He has a lot of expectations to live up to and it seemed like he was forcing and trying too much to see those through. I say give him a couple more games to settle in. Rotate Fine in but by week 5 or 6, you make the decision to change starters if we dont see results.

• Upvote 1

Littrell finds himself in the middle of one of the toughest decisions as a head coach, after his inaugural game as a head coach: Play the senior? Did the senior do enough to warrant moving down on the depth chart? Play the hotshot freshman who was an immediate spark to the team? Play both? How will the team react?

This is a tough dilemma for the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

I'm just glad he doesn't sugar coat his views. Morris made the wrong read and SL let everyone know it. The best players are gonna play regardless of class. This is a refreshing change. I can't stand coach speak and I am glad we're not getting it. I imagine Seth during the 4th down play was like the video when Tom Landry was on the sideline in a game yelling" No no no" during an audible

BTW: Morris looks like a genius if he hits Tee on that pass. 

• Upvote 4

I'm watching the entire press conference on MeanGreenSports.com and Seth really does think Fine will be special.  He said Fine will play and he has an idea of a schedule.  Sounds like Fine won't be just mopping up.  Maybe he'll be in every third series or something like that.  It really sounds like that when Seth feels Fine is ready he'll start and that could be sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Littrell finds himself in the middle of one of the toughest decisions as a head coach, after his inaugural game as a head coach: Play the senior? Did the senior do enough to warrant moving down on the depth chart? Play the hotshot freshman who was an immediate spark to the team? Play both? How will the team react?

This is a tough dilemma for the coaching staff. 

It's tough if you over think it, so don't.  The premise is supposed to be simple: put the players out there that give you the best chance to win.

I anticipate Fine will get more snaps in weeks 2 and 3 and we will evaluate/go from there.  Morris needs to be given a chance to show how he will learn/adjust.  If Fine continues to impress, the decision shouldn't be that hard.  Especially when/if we are out of bowl contention.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

So again why was Wilson on the bench on both of those plays? 

• Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

So again why was Wilson on the bench on both of those plays? 

I can't remember if it was the coaches show or somewhere else, but I recall Littrell saying that he wasn't as impressed with Wilson after he got here as he expected to be, though he said he'd been improving.   My guess is that he felt like he had the best players on the field for the situation.  I'm not saying I agree one way or the other. 

10 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Maybe they were spelling him with Wyche? Wasn't that immediately after the 31 yard run Wilson ripped off down our sideline? Maybe he was gassed...

No he wasn't in the game that entire drive from what I recall.  And the play by play for that drive does not mention him once.  Anthony got the ball on 2nd and 3rd down before the 4th and 1.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

No he wasn't in the game that entire drive from what I recall.  And the play by play for that drive does not mention him once.  Anthony got the ball on 2nd and 3rd down before the 4th and 1.  

Interesting. Probably a planned spell of Wilson.

Littrell made no bones about Wyche not converting the 3rd and 1 "you could drive a dump truck through that hole and he didn't press the line correctly".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Liked what I heard from SL again. Guy gets it, and knows how to be a leader. 

While I agree with your opinion here, Todd Dodge seemed to have great press conferences as well at times, as did Mac.  To me, it doesn't matter, I need to see results, period.  

At the end of the day, I need to see wins.  Littrell is 0-1 at this point. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

It's tough if you over think it, so don't.  The premise is supposed to be simple: put the players out there that give you the best chance to win.

I anticipate Fine will get more snaps in weeks 2 and 3 and we will evaluate/go from there.  Morris needs to be given a chance to show how he will learn/adjust.  If Fine continues to impress, the decision shouldn't be that hard.  Especially when/if we are out of bowl contention.

I anticipate this will be the case, and that pretty soon Mason Fine is handed over the reigns. I hope Alec Morris improves, but he just gives me a bad vibe like the QBs last season; like the game is just too fast for him. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

Sounds like a very reasonable timetable.  

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I anticipate this will be the case, and that pretty soon Mason Fine is handed over the reigns. I hope Alec Morris improves, but he just gives me a bad vibe like the QBs last season; like the game is just too fast for him. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

"Bad vibe" ... that's a good description.  Supposedly in practice he gets good reviews but I've seen him twice - once in the final spring practice and Saturday night - and he didn't look good either time.  It's past time for the rust to be shaken off. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Sounds like a very reasonable timetable.  

"Bad vibe" ... that's a good description.  Supposedly in practice he gets good reviews but I've seen him twice - once in the final spring practice and Saturday night - and he didn't look good either time.  It's past time for the rust to be shaken off. 

A lot of us forget he hasn't played a real, full game since probably high school. That's a long time to not have to make reads in real time. Not having had that exposure at the college level at all is also a factor in his struggles I'm sure. But, we've seen this with other guys in the past and it didn't get better. My concern is the game may just be too fast for him in general, and that it's not just rust from sitting on the bench for 4 years.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1