It seems that we will be

Travis

This is pretty sad... down by nearly 20 points at half to Southern U.

I thought we tried to get some weaker teams on our schedule but when we do so bad against Lamar and the NAIA school. I truly hope we can get as many wins as our own football team... But even this seems questionable.

This may just be a knee jerk reaction but this doesn't look good for us.

UNT has a much bigger hill to climb than others in order to be seen as a viable candidate... And our Basketball program has got to pick up the slack.

J. Jones needs to get movin' on things...

Don't forget rebounds. I was at the NW Ok game, and our guys just kinda stood around waiting for the basket, while the Northwestern guys were lining up assuming it wouldn't go through. I even saw times where there were 3-4 white jerseys around and only 1 black jersey, and the black jersey always got it.

I just got back home (I wasn't at the game, just to clarify), and I don't know what to say. Southern is no pushover, but our guys gave them the game. I can't count how many times we couldn't even pass the ball in without having a turnover. These are basic fundamentals of basketball, and nothing more. If our guys can't know that they're standing out of bounds waiting for a pass...what can be done?

I can understand a low FG %, sometimes the game is just off, but to have THAT many basketball 101 mistakes makes me think of the other side in a Harlem Globetrotters game.

I'm just waiting to see any semblance of what started in 2001, and I just don't see it. These guys need a lot more practice to even hang with Sun Belt teams, much less Indiana that's going to give us nightmares for years to come at this rate.

Edited by Gakusei

if it is the fundemental errors.. then, who is to blame?  players? coaches?! hmmm... wink.gif  wink.gif

That's what I'm grappling with. I hate the "we need a new coach" card, but this is some sloppy play that's hard to pass off solely on the players.

The point guard situation is interesting. Jerome can hit from anywhere, but can be streaky. He can handle the ball as well as anyone in the conference, but he is so small he can't finish on his own, which leads to defenders giving him a chance to drive in oder to take away his shot. And as fast as he is, and he gets out on the break so well, but just isn't big enough to finish it off against guys he is giving up several inches or a foot too.

Roniger isn't especially fast, and doesn't push the ball nearly like Jerome does. He is strong, and can do something in the lane unlike Jerome. He plays with a lot of fire and determination, but can hurt the team when speed and offense are needed (a lot on this team).

John Franklin isn't eligible yet, but his first game will be against TCU. He is very strong like Roniger, and is just a basketball player. He will get a chance to have the job I'm sure (hell if they gave Boxell a shot last year, they better), and what he does with that chance could have an impact on the team.

Marqus Mitchell is small, but an amazing leaper and athlete. I don't think JJ wants him bringing it up on offense, or maybe just not quite yet.

The inconsistency at point guard can be a huge problem and lead to turnovers, one of these guys needs to step up and not necessarily fill up the stat sheet, but play solid smart ball.

They all have strengths that can help team.

Look at the bright side (because looking at the dark side is no way to live life):

Leonard Hopkins will get back into playing shape and provide a rare 3 point threat, maybe more.

Michael Jones will continue to improve and he has size and skills to do something.

Shawnson Johnson will be eligible soon, and be back from surgery later and he will probably become our best player immediately.

Adrian Awasom will be through with football soon, and if nothing else, we could knock the crap outta some people. smile.gif

Sidenote: Is this what you wanted Cerebus? tongue.gif

Edited by IronMan4