MGB: Key questions UNT’s new AD will face Part III — What’s the scheduling philosophy?

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

A heated rivalry for you, maybe. Because SMU DOESN'T CARE. 

And those are your feelings of hatred, not mine. SMU as the big evil that kept UNT down is a joke. You know who was/is the big evil that keeps UNT down? 

UNT.

Well Said.

They care when we beat them. 

• Upvote 5

Win and the scheduling and attendance takes care of itself.  We all know this.

But 90 is exactly right in that we have been given so little to be excited about that as a fanbase we seem to be willing to accept anything.  Our expectations are very low.

This is where studying other programs can help us realize what we should  be expecting of ourselves and why we need an AD who is imaginative, innovative and willing to think outside the box.

Not long ago UNLV hired an unknown basketball coach for a 3 year contract allowing him to earn an extension, and he did.

UTSA brought in Arizona for $350k and continues to bring in P5's.

Western Kentucky inked an agreement to play Wisconsin in 2018 in football and in return they get a 1 for 1 deal in basketball.

Other programs use their imagination to sell, market and promote their programs and make decisions and deals that benefit their programs..

We can too with higher expectations and the right person running our show.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

UTSA's deal with Arizona was a 2-for-1 deal and $350k is the defacto amount one pays a visiting non-conference team to play in your home stadium.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Win and the scheduling and attendance takes care of itself.  We all know this.

But 90 is exactly right in that we have been given so little to be excited about that as a fanbase we seem to be willing to accept anything.  Our expectations are very low.

This is where studying other programs can help us realize what we should  be expecting of ourselves and why we need an AD who is imaginative, innovative and willing to think outside the box.

Not long ago UNLV hired an unknown basketball coach for a 3 year contract allowing him to earn an extension, and he did.

Western Kentucky inked an agreement to play Wisconsin in 2018 in football and in return they get a 1 for 1 deal in basketball.

Other programs use their imagination to sell, market and promote their programs and make decisions and deals that benefit their programs..

We can too with higher expectations and the right person running our show.

Rick

I think the scheduling is the worst thing that RV leaves behind--it really cannot be fixed very easily or inexpensively. Home games against Butt Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian are absolutely attendance killers. SMU and Army are fine OOC opponents, too, but they would have been great home games to compliment other better OOC names. You don't even have to be winning to get decent teams here--look at UTSA, as the prime example, for using your location as an advantage.

But the next AD isn't going to have the flexibility here to fix this soon. The Memphis series down the road is a solid one, too, so I really hope we don't match that up with an FCS team, as well. And by that time, we don't know what the FBS levels are going to look like. Its a very tough situation to look at, for sure...

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

UTSA's deal with Arizona was a 2-for-1 deal and $350k is the defacto amount one pays a visiting non-conference team to play in your home stadium.

Anyone know how many 2 for 1 deals has UTSA done?

Follow up question, how many 5 home game seasons have they had, or will they have? So far I see 0 between 2013-2018, if I googled correctly.

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I like all of ths except the 10 year series. No. 4 years tops. Things change in college football, let's stay away from the lazy scheduling of the past. 

Also, Washingtn St is on the rise under Leach. I don't know if anyone will ve calling them a low to mid level PAC 10 team for long

We've had this conversation. They will peak at being a consistent mid-level team then go back to being a pac12 bottom feeder in the near future. Winning up there is too difficult and consistency has never happened up there. Also, smug is a rivalry. Accept it. 

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Anyone know how many 2 for 1 deals has UTSA done?

Follow up question, how many 5 home game seasons have they had, or will they have? So far I see 0 between 2013-2018, if I googled correctly.

UTSA has a bunch and have had a bunch of 2-for-1 deals. Given that they are a new team starting with a clean slate they have been good at getting the schedule lined up without any 5 home game series. Whether they can continue that is anyone's guess. Currently they do not have any home non-conference games lined up for 2019.

Edited by UNTFan23

18 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

UTSA has a bunch and have had a bunch of 2-for-1 deals. Given that they are a new team starting with a clean slate they have been good at getting the schedule lined up without any 5 home game series. Whether they can continue that is anyone's guess. Currently they do not have any home non-conference games lined up for 2019.

UTSA will be a team to look-out for long term.  They need a few good hires down there, and they will have the support.  San Antonio WILL support their team.  Lots of football fans down there.  A Big Stadium will soon be a plus when they win for a couple of years in a row....  San Antonio is a sports town, without a lot to choose from....

22 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

We've had this conversation. They will peak at being a consistent mid-level team then go back to being a pac12 bottom feeder in the near future. Winning up there is too difficult and consistency has never happened up there. Also, smug is a rivalry. Accept it. 

Is it considerably more difficult to win in Pullman than Seattle?  Back in the day, Washington was a pretty consistent Pac-10 powerhouse.  Washington St. seems to ebb and flow.  

According to wiki, the answer is yes, it is more difficult to win in Pullman.  Washington has 36 bowl appearances to Washington St.'s 12.  I didn't realize they were that far apart.

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Every opponent does. 

They care like we cared when Portland St. beat us. Is Portland St now our rival?

Two totally different scenarios and you know it.  You just need something else to gripe about.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

And that's my point.  We should keep an eye on them because for a new program they have done some things right.

Rick

UTSA also has a lot of built-in advantages that we don't. They are in a major city with no other university playing FBS football. They have media that gladly covers them in SA. They are a gigantic tourist destination that makes games there very attractive to OOC opponents. And they have a stadium that can hold bigger crowds when needed.

And their biggest advantage they will always have on us is that they haven't ever told their alumni and students that we can't afford to stay as a Division 1 program so we will be dropping down a level of play and stay that way for 12 years. The absolute devastation that this bomb caused us is immeasurable. We lost decades of actual fans and potential fans for decades because of this--especially actual alumni that have never turned back toward our campus or program ever since they got their degree. UTSA and Texas State don't have that issue to overcome. We do--and it continues to be the steepest hurdle to jump over.

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Every opponent does. 

They care like we cared when Portland St. beat us. Is Portland St now our rival?

Port St. was an FCS opponent that we paid over half a mil to spank us on our homecoming. Probably the embarrassing thing to ever happen in this Earth's history.... Of course we cared......

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

UTSA has a bunch and have had a bunch of 2-for-1 deals. Given that they are a new team starting with a clean slate they have been good at getting the schedule lined up without any 5 home game series. 

This doesn't factor at all, unless your point was the new AD will have to deal with the crappy scheduling of the old AD. RV could have avoided these mistakes. He had 15 years to start over with a clean slate.

UTSA seems to have scheduled themselves into a box. The have both OOC road games scheduled for 2019 and 2020 with no home games scheduled either year, so they are either going to have to buy at the very least 2 home games, maybe more. They could buy 2 FCS and then schedule 2 different I've and ones, with the first game of each series played in SA in 2019 and 2020. They would have to return those games in 2021 and 2023 to make it fit into their scheduling plan.

Can it be done? I guess, but certainly not at UNT over the last 15 years.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/utsa-roadrunners.php

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This doesn't factor at all, unless your point was the new AD will have to deal with the crappy scheduling of the old AD. RV could have avoided these mistakes. He had 15 years to start over with a clean slate.

UTSA seems to have scheduled themselves into a box. The have both OOC road games scheduled for 2019 and 2020 with no home games scheduled either year, so they are either going to have to buy at the very least 2 home games, maybe more. They could buy 2 FCS and then schedule 2 different I've and ones, with the first game of each series played in SA in 2019 and 2020. They would have to return those games in 2021 and 2023 to make it fit into their scheduling plan.

Can it be done? I guess, but certainly not at UNT over the last 15 years.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/utsa-roadrunners.php

UTSA has an eight-game series with Texas State starting in 2017. What's your opinion on that? You have posted numerous times how much you admire UTSA's scheduling tactics so I'm curious to see your response.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

UTSA has an eight-game series with Texas State starting in 2017. What's your opinion on that? You have posted numerous times how much you admire UTSA's scheduling tactics so I'm curious to see your response.

My response is they are bringing in multiple P5 opponents to their home stadium. RV didn't and refused to try.

What is your response to that?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

My response is they are bringing in multiple P5 opponents to their home stadium. RV didn't and refused to try.

What is your response to that?

You have said scheduling a series for more than 4 games is lazy scheduling. So what is it when another school does it.

RV was against 2-for-1 deals. It's likely the main reason why we got so few P5 schools into Apogee. The new AD might be in favor of them but it could come at the risk of 5 home game seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No big 5 schools from Texas? Are you crazy, you really think one of these school would have more fans at our stadium than UNT? People want to come to these games, UNT fans live for games like this, no way we don't fill the stadium with our people. Texas Tech, TCU, Okie state and the like will bring our program to new heights, other CUSA teams are doing it on a regular basis, no more games scheduled without a home and home, period! Rick has no negotiating skills, this is why he needs to be gone! He also ran potential and current donors off, myself included...BTW, Hank Dickenson is just as bad; these guys have awful attitudes, we must clean house now!

BTW, we should be playing Houston at least every other year!!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

You have said scheduling a series for more than 4 games is lazy scheduling. So what is it when another school does it.

RV was against 2-for-1 deals. It's likely the main reason why we got so few P5 schools into Apogee. The new AD might be in favor of them but it could come at the risk of 5 home game seasons.

Other G5 schools get 1 for 1s. Why do you focus on one school? Why do you make excuses for RV? No, you don't have to do 2 for 1s to get P5s.  RV said directly to Harry that he wasn't trying to get P5 because he would rather have the whore money. 

UTSA and Texas St are also trying to force feed a geographical rivalry. Frankly, I don't care why UTSA made that decision, because I don't care about UTSA scheduling poorly. I do care when they schedule better than UNT. They have been dong that their entire 8 years of existence (or however long they have been around), and that's just sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I look at the SMU and Army series as just fine if its the secondary home game on your OOC schedule. If UTSA is playing Texas State for a long time, it makes sense for them for the same reason it does for us with SMU. But UTSA is playing some P5s at home with this series...we are playing FCS spares, one of which just crushed us in the worst loss in modern college football history.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I look at the SMU and Army series as just fine if its the secondary home game on your OOC schedule. If UTSA is playing Texas State for a long time, it makes sense for them for the same reason it does for us with SMU. But UTSA is playing some P5s at home with this series...we are playing FCS spares, one of which just crushed us in the worst loss in modern college football history.

And a good chance that Butt Cookman also beats us this year...

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Port St. was an FCS opponent that we paid over half a mil to spank us on our homecoming. Probably the embarrassing thing to ever happen in this Earth's history.... Of course we cared......

So it's a rivalry then?

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Two totally different scenarios and you know it.  You just need something else to gripe about.  

Actually, it's not at all. Like it or not, SMU views us in the same way we view Portland St. They are embarrassed when they lose to us  because they view us as a far inferior program in a lesser conference. It may not be true, but that is the way their fan base views UNT.

i bet if you talk to any of their 200 fans, they would tell you that the loss 2 years ago was a huge embarrassment to SMU and a major reason Their coach was fired. Sound familiar? I bet they would laugh when you ask about UNT as a rival, much like a TCU fan laughs when you ask him about SMU as a rival.

6 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

We've played one game against Portland State and 35 against SMU. That makes a difference in "rivalry." 

6 in the last 30 years.

Edited by UNT90