MGB: Key questions UNT’s new AD will face Part III — What’s the scheduling philosophy?

Brett Vito

You mean like the two whore games we played last year, Brett? Or the 2 of the last four home seasons only having 5 home games, Brett? 

That's not improvement, Brett. That's pretty much the way things were when RV got here. 

And alternating home games with SMU and Army along with an FCS EVERY FREAKING YEAR for an OOC schedule isn't improvement, Brett. Especially considering one of those FCS teams laid the worst beat down in modern college football history on UNT in RV's last season. 

Lets hope the new AD provides REAL improvement and real EFFORT in scheduling meaningful home games for UNT football. The last one didn't, especially in Apogee, especially after promising he would 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

My favorite topic yet...

I wholeheartedly believe North Texas needs to change its scheduling philosophy. I think every OOC game should be a home and home series with an FBS program.

Of course we need to get P5s at Apogee. And no I don't think we shouldn't focus on Big12 programs from Texas, that will come in and outnumber our fans. That would be very embarrassing. We need to focus on mid to lower level P5 programs from the PAC. ACC, and Big10. Programs that would value an opportunity to display their product in front of the DFW recruits. We should be focusing on programs like Washington State, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Oregon State, Boston College, Wake Forest, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Purdue.

Personally, I would love to land a long term home and home series with Washington State. I think Leech would love to sign a ten year home and home series. He loves DFW recruits. Leach turned WSU into a 9-4 team by his 4th season. Plus, their are some coaching connections between our schools.

If the new AD continues RVs scheduling philosophy I will be highly disappointed.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

My favorite topic yet...

I wholeheartedly believe North Texas needs to change its scheduling philosophy. I think every OOC game should be a home and home series with an FBS program.

Of course we need to get P5s at Apogee. And no I don't think we shouldn't focus on Big12 programs from Texas, that will come in and outnumber our fans. That would be very embarrassing. We need to focus on mid to lower level P5 programs from the PAC. ACC, and Big10. Programs that would value an opportunity to display their product in front of the DFW recruits. We should be focusing on programs like Washington State, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Oregon State, Boston College, Wake Forest, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Purdue.

Personally, I would love to land a long term home and home series with Washington State. I think Leech would love to sign a ten year home and home series. He loves DFW recruits. Leach turned WSU into a 9-4 team by his 4th season. Plus, their are some coaching connections between our schools.

If the new AD continues RVs scheduling philosophy I will be highly disappointed.

I like all of ths except the 10 year series. No. 4 years tops. Things change in college football, let's stay away from the lazy scheduling of the past. 

Also, Washingtn St is on the rise under Leach. I don't know if anyone will ve calling them a low to mid level PAC 10 team for long. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I like all of ths except the 10 year series. No. 4 years tops. Things change in college football, let's stay away from the lazy scheduling of the past. 

Also, Washingtn St is on the rise under Leach. I don't know if anyone will ve calling them a low to mid level PAC 10 team for long. 

I can understand the issue with the 10 year series. I'd just like us to develop a meaningful long term series with a P5 program. And lets face it, I know a lot will change over 10 years, but  Washington State will still be in the PAC.

I can't see WSU winning the PAC on a regular basis. Leech has a great offensive mind, but has never been good at defense.

I would love to see our new AD come in with the promise of selling out Apogee and have a good scheduling and promotion plan to see it through.  In fact, if I was interviewing candidates I would be extremely impressed to see them come in with some knowledge of our issues and some type of game plan to address it.

@UNT90 I'm sorry to bring this up again, but you force me to.  You are right scheduling has been a disaster, however you lose credibility when you knock the SMU series, or as some seem to knock Army... these are EXACTLY the type of series we need every single year in my opinion.  We should play every Texas team we can and especially local teams like SMU and TCU.  Getting the SMU series was no easy feat and I think you need to give some credit on that one.

I agree, we need a big p5 opponent in Apogee like yesterday, and I think that was a major failing of the prior AD.  I will say this, the head coach has a pretty big say in the schedule and in that vein, Mac deserves some of the blame as well.  Believe me, Mac wanted an FCS at home and would have taken two of them if he could.  Mac was all about the home record more than he was home attendance in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree, we need a big p5 opponent in Apogee like yesterday, and I think that was a major failing of the prior AD.  I will say this, the head coach has a pretty big say in the schedule and in that vein, Mac deserves some of the blame as well.  Believe me, Mac wanted an FCS at home and would have taken two of them if he could.  Mac was all about the home record more than he was home attendance in my opinion.

I guess a question I have is whether people would be OK with getting a P5 school to Apogee every few years if it means we have to use 2-for-1 deals.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I guess a question I have is whether people would be OK with getting a P5 school to Apogee every few years if it means we have to use 2-for-1 deals.

Let me answer it this way, if it would help us sell out Apogee then yes I sure would.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Let me answer it this way, if it would help us sell out Apogee then yes I sure would.

I'm not sure a P5 could make a sell out happen. Even when Baylor and Houston came we still couldn't sell out our stadiums. Baylor was in the middle of our "heyday" under Dickey.

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'm not sure a P5 could make a sell out happen

You may well be right but I would like to see what would happen with like say a Tech or that type of program.  My sense is that it would be close.

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

.@UNT90 I'm sorry to bring this up again, but you force me to.  You are right scheduling has been a disaster, however you lose credibility when you knock the SMU series, or as some seem to knock Army... these are EXACTLY the type of series we need every single year in my opinion.  We should play every Texas team we can and especially local teams like SMU and TCU.  Getting the SMU series was no easy feat and I think you need to give some credit on that one.

Mac may be partially to blame on the FCS teams, but the 5-home game seasons are on RV scheduling too many bodybag games. Tennessee and Iowa were scheduled before Mac was hired. Playing two of those in the same season almost ensures a 5-home game season.

That can't happen going forward.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Mac may be partially to blame on the FCS teams, but the 5-home game seasons are on RV scheduling too many bodybag games. Tennessee and Iowa were scheduled before Mac was hired. Playing two of those in the same season almost ensures a 5-home game season.

That can't happen going forward.

Yes and yes. Come back Billy!!!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'm not sure a P5 could make a sell out happen. Even when Baylor and Houston came we still couldn't sell out our stadiums. Baylor was in the middle of our "heyday" under Dickey.

We played Baylor almost in the 1990s. A LOT of things have changed. 

An effective FBS AD won't have to do 2 for 1s to get a meaningful (not Indiana) P5 into Apogee.

Jeez.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

I would love to see our new AD come in with the promise of selling out Apogee and have a good scheduling and promotion plan to see it through.  In fact, if I was interviewing candidates I would be extremely impressed to see them come in with some knowledge of our issues and some type of game plan to address it.

@UNT90 I'm sorry to bring this up again, but you force me to.  You are right scheduling has been a disaster, however you lose credibility when you knock the SMU series, or as some seem to knock Army... these are EXACTLY the type of series we need every single year in my opinion.  We should play every Texas team we can and especially local teams like SMU and TCU.  Getting the SMU series was no easy feat and I think you need to give some credit on that one.

My problem with the SMU series is the length. That and some fans acting like we just scored a 12 year series with UT. TCU is a P5 and would bring a ton more people to Apogee from both fan bases. SMU brings 200 fans.

Don't put TCU in the same opponent boat as SMU. They are completely different animals.

This fanbase has been given so little for so long they have a huge inferiority complex. Expect more. Everyone else does, and they get it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The point in the SMU series is our severe dislike for them and their dismissive attitude towards us coupled with their known history of not wanting us to have any type of success, has led to a heated rivalry.  Those games get scheduled out for years.  While I am not opposed to playing TCU, they do not create the same feelings as SMU.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The point in the SMU series is our severe dislike for them and their dismissive attitude towards us coupled with their known history of not wanting us to have any type of success, has led to a heated rivalry.  Those games get scheduled out for years.  While I am not opposed to playing TCU, they do not create the same feelings as SMU.

Agreed. I like the SMU series and also the games with Army.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Because there is no need for another long running series when we already have one with SMU. It makes it VERY difficult to bring in a P5 when half of your OOC schedule is set for the foreseeable future.

IMHO, the Army series was a clear sign of give-up and laziness on RV's part. He set half of the schedule so all he had to worry about was getting a body bag game and bringing in a FCS pinata. Which wouldn't be so bad if the rest of our conference mates weren't bringing in P5s every year. Oh, and the little fact that this scheduling philosophy isn't what RV sold everyone to get Apogee built.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

A heated rivalry for you, maybe. Because SMU DOESN'T CARE. 

And those are your feelings of hatred, not mine. SMU as the big evil that kept UNT down is a joke. You know who was/is the big evil that keeps UNT down? 

UNT.

19 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Because there is no need for another long running series when we already have one with SMU. It makes it VERY difficult to bring in a P5 when half of your OOC schedule is set for the foreseeable future.

IMHO, the Army series was a clear sign of give-up and laziness on RV's part. He set half of the schedule so all he had to worry about was getting a body bag game and bringing in a FCS pinata. Which wouldn't be so bad if the rest of our conference mates weren't bringing in P5s every year. Oh, and the little fact that this scheduling philosophy isn't what RV sold everyone to get Apogee built.

Well Said.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

10 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Idk about the old Baylor game, but the Houston game was pretty well attended (Obviously we opened a new stadium). I just think that our record speaks for itself. IMO a P5 would help, but the biggest factor to our attendance issues, is the severe disappointment and depression the fans get when they watch UNT lose once again...

Someone mentioned that they don't want any local or Texas area P5's invading our stadium and embarrassing our own attendance. And I can definitely agree, I don't want to be like SMU and cater to a sea of A&M or Baylor fans.... Let's go get those lower level P5's, that will contribute to attendance, but also give more fair weather fans a reason to come out on Saturdays! 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

but the biggest factor to our attendance issues, is the severe disappointment and depression the fans get when they watch UNT lose once again...

Amen -- and let me add, every time we get ANY momentum it seems like we have lost.  Example, UTSA home game in 2013.  That was a HUGE loss to momentum and kept us from landing the C-USA championship.  There are other examples.  When you have 10 losing seasons out of 11 how can you point at any other thing in regards to attendance.

We financially need to play at least two body bag road game a year for budget purposes. In the near future UNT should hope to get that down to one if new AD can increase donations. The SMU/Army  series are, in my opinion , both winners, and I have no problem with a home game with a regional 1aa opponent. The goal should be to get in a financial position where we can afford a 1 for 1 with a G5 program. The problem is that we are not an attractive home game opponent unless its at a program where fans come out to see their team play[like LSU] regardless of who they play.

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

A heated rivalry for you, maybe. Because SMU DOESN'T CARE. 

And those are your feelings of hatred, not mine. SMU as the big evil that kept UNT down is a joke. You know who was/is the big evil that keeps UNT down? 

SMU doesn't care, right.  Check their board as the game approaches.  They act like they don't, but they do.  Yes, UNT had a lot to do with where UNT was, but it is well known that SMU would never allow us to be conference mates and it is well know some of the comments their alumni have made towards UNT.  I guarantee that if you posted a poll on this website asking those on here if they considered SMU a rivalry it would be confirmed.

I see you are going your usual route with the personal attacks.  I thought  you might let this go when RV left.  Guess not.  You just can't accept anyone else's opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Amen -- and let me add, every time we get ANY momentum it seems like we have lost.  Example, UTSA home game in 2013.  That was a HUGE loss to momentum and kept us from landing the C-USA championship.  There are other examples.  When you have 10 losing seasons out of 11 how can you point at any other thing in regards to attendance.

I completely agree Harry. Just look at the whole 2013 season as a whole. When we were building up that momentum, we darn near matched our attendance record when we played UTEP at Apogee. I still have a stomach ache that comes back when I think of that UTSA game, and how I was so close to attending a CUSA champ game with the good guys in it. 2015, was just so bad... And I know this is a little of topic, but our scheduling isn't going to matter if Littrell can't dig us out of this big hole we put ourselves in.... Here's to hoping our new AD will get this ship pointed back into the right direction.

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

SMU doesn't care, right.  Check their board as the game approaches.  They act like they don't, but they do.  Yes, UNT had a lot to do with where UNT was, but it is well known that SMU would never allow us to be conference mates and it is well know some of the comments their alumni have made towards UNT.  I guarantee that if you posted a poll on this website asking those on here if they considered SMU a rivalry it would be confirmed.

I see you are going your usual route with the personal attacks.  I thought  you might let this go when RV left.  Guess not.  You just can't accept anyone else's opinion.

Personal attack?? Questioning your opinions and you speaking for every UNT fan isn't a personal attack.

Go watch Frozen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5