No Free Agents from UNT?

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Exactly. And we GAVE him 2mil to walk away. What a waste of money. He may be the worst and definitely the most out of touch coach I have ever witnessed. Absolute atrocity and the man who hired AND extended him still sits atop his nest. 

Is that fair to criticize RV for the buy out? If he was garbage, why wait for 2 more years of General Sherman type destruction? I saw that as a positive move as a leader to fix the problem?

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

Is that fair to criticize RV for the buy out? If he was garbage, why wait for 2 more years of General Sherman type destruction? I saw that as a positive move as a leader to fix the problem?

Damn right it is. He prematurely extended the walking distillar. He also hired the man to begin with. 

We shouldn't have had to buy him out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Damn right it is. He prematurely extended the walking distillar. He also hired the man to begin with. 

We shouldn't have had to buy him out. 

Yes, but if you re-read his post below, he is referring to the buyout itself. We all know that the extension was a bad move and the hiring turned out to be a failure overall but his point was, that getting McCarney out with the buyout was a better move than waiting out his contract (like Benford, ugh).

21 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes, but if you re-read his post below, he is referring to the buyout itself. We all know that the extension was a bad move and the hiring turned out to be a failure overall but his point was, that getting McCarney out with the buyout was a better move than waiting out his contract (like Benford, ugh).

The first question of his post is/was all I needed to read. 

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

Except if RV would have documented certain contract violations a buy out wouldn't have been necessary. He could have been fired for cause. 

Yes, that would have been public and messy and, most importantly, bad for one Rick Villarreal. So instead he was paid to leave. 

And then they didn't buy out Benford or the root of the problem, Rick Villarrreal (AKA Hattiesburg Hustler). 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Mean Green Eagle said:

When I heard that Marcus Smith was our best chance for an NFL FA signing, I knew it wasn't happening for UNT this year. You see, NFL teams typically prefer their TEs to be able to catch. 

He averaged 13 yards a catch the last three years.  

He finished 2nd and 3rd on the team in receptions the past two years,  

And in 2014 a third of his catches resulted in a touchdown.

So yeah...he can't catch.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On May 2, 2016 at 3:07 PM, GMG24 said:

Not to burst the bubble here but Littrell (or whoever is running his twitter) and the other coaches must be more active.  If you look at our staff vs SMU, Houston, UTSA, TxState we are still struggling a bit.  Granted we are active during certain times and thats much better than in the past but I am on twitter often and see more stuff from them being retweeted by coaches I follow.  SMU actually tweets out where they are heading (regions of the state) as they can't say directly where they go.  Anyway, I do appreciate the increased presence on twitter, but we must step our game up even more with graphics and tweets of the like.  I promise prospects notice that stuff. 

The goal is not to better than what we were, but to be better than what is currently happening with SM! The youth of these coaches should realize this!

On May 3, 2016 at 11:53 PM, UTSA Fan said:

The old NTSU would of stayed put! That is a change, but it is a change from a screw up that gave that long of an extension!

19 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

He averaged 13 yards a catch the last three years.  

He finished 2nd and 3rd on the team in receptions the past two years,  

And in 2014 a third of his catches resulted in a touchdown.

So yeah...he can't catch.

Rick

He was my adopted player this last season, so I watched him quite a bit.  He probably led the team in drops.  Several times he made McNulty look bad.  When he caught the ball, he was effective.  Too many times, he didn't though.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was my adopted player this last season, so I watched him quite a bit.  He probably led the team in drops.  Several times he made McNulty look bad.  When he caught the ball, he was effective.  Too many times, he didn't though.

So his season went about like everyone else's....shitty.

In hindsight I can't fault him for having a down year when everyone else around him had quit.  He had been our best prospect up and until last year.  He may never play again but his 2015 season doesn't erase his abilities and accomplishments the previous year's leading up to that.  

His diving over-the-shoulder catch for a TD at Marshal is still my favorite play for him IMO.

Rick