Ivy League Coaches Eliminate Tackling at Football Practices

Greenrex

"The move could influence how other football programs, from the youth level to the professionals, try to mitigate the physical toll of football, which has been played on Ivy League campuses since the 19th century."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/02/sports/ncaafootball/ivy-league-moves-to-eliminate-tackling-at-practices.html?em_pos=medium&emc=edit_ur_20160302&nl=nytoday&nlid=61843218&ref=headline&_r=0

40 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Those are fine young men playing Ivy League football.

Yes they are, at least the few I have known.

This is third hand information so may be all hogwash but I understand the coaches have a gentlemen's agreement concerning the academic standards of incoming freshmen. Obviously no dummy is going to get into an Ivy League School, football star or not, but even Harvard knows that are not going to be able to recruit a tackle with a perfect SAT score.  Using the old SAT scale, each school is only allowed X number of recruits with SAT scores of 1100 to 1200,  X number 1200 to 1300, etc. 

They might want to make sure they schedule only conference mates in the early going. These kids will not be in football shape.

I hope I am wrong but I can see even more injuries as the go at "live speed" in the first game or two. I could be wrong in my thinking, but if they go up against a team that has been hitting in practices I could see some major disadvantages.

• Upvote 2