Really need a HS DT with this class

UNT90

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

The most neglected position under McCarney has only one recruit so far this class (Bryce English), and that recruit isn't eligible this year. We really need to pull in a late high school recruit at this position today.

And please save me the whining about how hard this position is to recruit. It's hard for everyone in CUSA, not just UNT. Just get it done.

I'll take a quality JC guy there as well. Without naming names, our DT upperclassmen just ain't cutting it in the trenches. Obviously.

• Upvote 1

Getting the kid from K-State was kind of like getting a prep DT.  But, I get your overall point.

The lack of DT recruiting was one of the things that began to raise red flags for me RE: McCarney after 2012.  The defensive line was supposed to be his bailiwick, having coached Florida's defensive line that shut down Oklahoma record-setting offense for 2008 national title. 

That's why I began to advocate going to a 3-3-5 or something similar to what Utah does.  It is hard enough to find linemen for big schools.  For us, it just seems like committing to a four man front is going to be a continuous gamble because of the dearth of quality DT that seep down to us.  The depth isn't great either.   

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

The most neglected position under McCarney has only one recruit so far this class (Bryce English), and that recruit isn't eligible this year. We really need to pull in a late high school recruit at this position today.

And please save me the whining about how hard this position is to recruit. It's hard for everyone in CUSA, not just UNT. Just get it done.

Another spiritual grandchild (like me) of Clara Peller. 

Combes, Young, Tauaalo, English and Wegman are all RS Soph or "newer."  I think there is talent here to be developed, but we do need another in this class.  To balance our eligibility, I would like to see a JUCO come in but would take both, JUCO/HS.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Awaiting an appeal process that has never been kind to NT in the past... doubtful it will be this time either.

Especially since the NCAA just changed the rules saying he specifically won't be eligible.

Least likely appeal ever at UNT. There have been appeals with much better facts that have been turned down.