Our Kinda Guys

Eagle-96

55 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Its called setting a SMART goal, not something that unrealistic and irrational.

I consider landing recruits with at least an offer from ULM pretty attainable. 

This staff needs to do better than they have so far, and they know it.

You know, I remember posts for that far away time of 3 weeks ago from some of the same posters now preaching lowered expectations. But 3 weeks ago they were trumpeting Littrell's recruiting accumen, how a former NFL QB would reel in at least a 3 star QB, and about how much better it was going to be than the Mac regime.

SO FAR, recruiting has been on par or worse than what DMac drug in last year.

Lets all hope for an amazing next 7 days.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

43 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I consider landing recruits with at least an offer from ULM pretty attainable. 

This staff needs to do better than they have so far, and they know it.

You know, I remember posts for that far away time of 3 weeks ago from some of the same posters now preaching lowered expectations. But 3 weeks ago they were trumpeting Littrell's recruiting accumen, how a former NFL QB would reel in at least a 3 star QB, and about how much better it was going to be than the Mac regime.

Lets all hope for an amazing next 7 days.

I can agree with those two statements but you have to be patient.  Every recruiting analyst out there said UNT will struggle with this class.  I think we can all agree but we want the best available.  UNT is facing an uphill battle and sometimes you just have to accept it and move on.  This isnt an excuse, its reality.

I dont think anyone said Mason is going to be the next Jordan Lynch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I can agree with those two statements but you have to be patient.  Every recruiting analyst out there said UNT will struggle with this class.  I think we can all agree but we want the best available.  UNT is facing an uphill battle and sometimes you just have to accept it and move on.  This isnt an excuse, its reality.

I dont think anyone said Mason is going to be the next Jordan Lynch. 

And I agree with you, which is why most of my post say "SO FAR." 

The time to rate is in a week. People shouldn't be putting a happy face on now, because currently there isn't anything to be happy about. Hopefully that changes.

And I don't expect to out recruit TCU, but I do expect to be competitive with the La. Tech's of the world.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

The time to rate is in a week. People shouldn't be putting a happy face on now, because currently there isn't anything to be happy about. Hopefully that changes.

And I don't expect to out recruit TCU, but I do expect to be competitive with the La. Tech's of the world.

I'm happy because we have a new coach with a new vision.  I don't care about recruiting, I care about development.  You don't have to have the biggest team, you have to have to be the better team.  I feel like people are putting way to much into recruiting rather than if the coaches can develop the talent they're recruiting.

Yes, I understand I dont want a team filled with a bunch of Greer's but I have trust in this coaching staff.  Trust is obviously something that you dont have with the program. I understand why, please don't explain.    

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I'm happy because we have a new coach with a new vision.  I don't care about recruiting, I care about development.  You don't have to have the biggest team, you have to have to be the better team.  I feel like people are putting way to much into recruiting rather than if the coaches can develop the talent they're recruiting.

My days of blind trust with anyone associated with UNT are long gone, especially when Rick Villarreal is still collecting a check with the title of AD. 

You gave the same trust to Dodge and Mac. Look what happened. 

You have to have FBS talent to develop. Landing a bunch of single offer guys isn't getting the talent you need to develop. Period.

Hoping for better news this week.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

My days of blind trust with anyone associated with UNT are long gone, especially when Rick Villarreal is still collecting a check with the title of AD. 

You gave the same trist to Dodge and Mac. Look what happened. 

You have to have FBS talent to develop. Landing a bunch of single offer guys isn't getting the talent you need to develop. Period.

Hoping for better news this week.

I think Alec Morris and Bryce English are FBS talent.

I know this is just one example... According to rivals Brelan was a 2 star recruit, had one offer and is 5'9 170 lbs.  I dont think these numbers show that he's FBS talent but what do I know...

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I think Alec Morris and Bryce English are FBS talent.

Those are transfers, not HS recruits. Morris has been in college 4 years and thrown 1 pass. Jury is way out on him. Hopefully he does well for UNT. 

I am talking about 4 year high school recruits to your program. Many trumpeted Littrell as a great recruiter. So far he has been no better than Mac, and probably worse. I never expected this class to be great, but I expected better than what last weekend produced.

7 days.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

How many programs that went 1-11 last year, 1 winning season in 10+ season, no back to back winning seasons in 10+ years.. I can go on and on. This program is not in a position to change much of the 2016 prospects, its about 2017 and beyond.  

I'm done and I'm going to enjoy my life rather then sit in front of my computre and waste more time

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I'm done and I'm going to enjoy my life rather then sit in front of my computre and waste more time

Probably the proper attitude to take toward UNT athletics, especially with RV still stealing university money in the AD's office. 

I feel your frustration, my friend. Just try not to get mad at the messenger. Things will never get better until wholesale changes are made in the athletic department. It's extremely unfair to Littrell and staff that they don't have the support they need to turn around this program.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You would just find something else to complain about. On here, of course. In every thread.

Na, I'm kind of a single issue poster these days.

Oh, RV is the worst AD in America, would only have a job at this university, which doesn't give a crap about athletics, and the athletic department needs a complete purge. 

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1.  I would celebrate.

2.  Not even close.

3.  Who you gonna blame for dragging you and your RV comments in to this thread?

1. You would stalk me to the ends of the earth. 

2. Stalkers always say that.

3. Rick Villarreal. He is still AD, correct?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/26/2016 at 9:35 AM, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Yes...but, you can't OKG all 85 spots on the roster.  At some point, you have to have speed, size, agility, etc.  You can't take a dice roll on every scholarship.  Unfortunately, though, that looks like where we are.

Bingo.

You are absolutely right. The original post reads like a "cup is half full" approach to our current position in recruiting. We need to be more realistic about our situation. UTSA fired Coker around the first of the year, and by most accounts, UTSA is still holding a better recruiting class then us. According to Rivals, we have the worst recruiting class in Texas. And by Rivals standards, only Akron and Kent have worse classes right now. Eastern Michigan's class is more higher regarded then ours. I kid you not.

I know we only won 1 game last season, but come on, I'm not asking Littrell to pull in a top 25 class. Our new high powered offense and coaching staff should be able generate some excitement and land a middle-of-the-conference class. Not landing better talent was one of our biggest issues with Mac. Littrell and the staff needs to get this thing rolling. I don't think I'm asking too much.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:
46 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Bingo.

You are absolutely right. The original post reads like a "cup is half full" approach to our current position in recruiting. We need to be more realistic about our situation. UTSA fired Coker around the first of the year, and by most accounts, UTSA is still holding a better recruiting class then us. According to Rivals, we have the worst recruiting class in Texas. And by Rivals standards, only Akron and Kent have worse classes right now. Eastern Michigan's class is more higher regarded then ours. I kid you not.

I know we only won 1 game last season, but come on, I'm not asking Littrell to pull in a top 25 class. Our new high powered offense and coaching staff should be able generate some excitement and land a middle-of-the-conference class. Not landing better talent was one of our biggest issues with Mac. Littrell and the staff needs to get this thing rolling. I don't think I'm asking too much.

Bingo.

I dont think you understand how bad Mac left this team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I dont think you understand how bad Mac left this team.

I've been following this program for some time. For the past decade I've lived about 2 miles from the athletic department, and have attended more practices then many on this board (I'll admit Silver, Harry, and maybe a few others have been there more then me). I know people within the program. I have a fairly good understanding of how bad Mac left our program.

I just refuse to let that be an excuse anymore. We need to see some results, not hear more excuses. I'm not asking for the top recruiting class in C-USA this season, but we should be able to do better then last place. Believe me, I'm very happy about adding transfers like Morris and English, but we need to start seeing some wins against other conference rivals, and regional G5 programs at the high school recruiting level. We can't build a contender around recruiting classes that are loaded down with undersized sleepers, that no or few other programs were interested in. We need to be winning battles against other G5 programs for some 3 star and maybe even a few 4 star players.

39 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

No...it definitely would not!  Period...and you know it.

Well. It would shut me up about recruiting, but not about the failure inside the athletic department and the person responsible...

Edited by UNT90

18 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I've been following this program for some time. For the past decade I've lived about 2 miles from the athletic department, and have attended more practices then many on this board (I'll admit Silver, Harry, and maybe a few others have been there more then me). I know people within the program. I have a fairly good understanding of how bad Mac left our program.

I just refuse to let that be an excuse anymore. We need to see some results, not hear more excuses. I'm not asking for the top recruiting class in C-USA this season, but we should be able to do better then last place. Believe me, I'm very happy about adding transfers like Morris and English, but we need to start seeing some wins against other conference rivals, and regional G5 programs at the high school recruiting level. We can't build a contender around recruiting classes that are loaded down with undersized sleepers, that no or few other programs were interested in. We need to be winning battles against other G5 programs for some 3 star and maybe even a few 4 star players.

So you dont want guys like Derek Thompson and Brelan Chancellor... Cool.

• Downvote 2

22 hours ago, UNT90 said:

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Bingo.

I agree with UNT90 often but not in this case.  Someone tired to blame all these recruiting struggles of the 2016 class on Mac but that just isn't realistic.  Seth was the best hire we could have made given the "criteria" that established.  Why was the criteria settled upon?  I don't know.  The truth of the matter is when Dickey was fired we should have brought in a Larry Coker or someone similar and hired a slightly younger  and less experienced "Seth Littrell" as the OC and air apparent.   Think about this is Seth Littrell is moderately successful and decides to move would Graham Harrell take the HC job?  I wouldn't be surprise if the answer was no.  I don't know how you get a prospect to choose UNT over our CUSA rivals, SMU, or Tulsa.  The athletic department built a losing culture ever since they fired Dickey (maybe even before).    We the only thing well known and positive about the athletic UNT brand is Mean Joe Greene you need a coach that could bring in his brand.  They chose not the do this twice arrogantly thinking "we are big school in a densely populated area we can just bring a regular competent coach and he will fix it".  Seth is going to have to use smoke and mirrors, win, build the brand and then he will start winning some of these recruiting battles.   I see a 4 year process to get UNT back in the consciousness of the local casual college football fan.  Once you start moving the attention needle with these fans you will start moving the needle with recruits who have multiple offers.

On 1/27/2016 at 9:02 PM, UNT90 said:

I think we all knew the day Littrell was hired that his first recruiting class would be limited. How many weeks has he had to recruit, outside of the quiet period, from the day he was hired to signing day? He's going to need to overachieve in year one with the players he brings in and the players who returned.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1