Marshall (1/14/16)

CMJ

Marshall is good....they are beating opponents by an average of 18 points.  However, this beat down was just that...a beat down. UNT was never in the game...and they appeared to be just going through the numbers.  First game I have left early in a long long time...like never before.

We'll be back Saturday....hoping to see the Mean Green play with some heart and get back on track.  I am thinking they just might.  Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Marshall is good....they are beating opponents by an average of 18 points.  However, this beat down was just that...a beat down. UNT was never in the game...and they appeared to be just going through the numbers.  First game I have left early in a long long time...like never before.

We'll be back Saturday....hoping to see the Mean Green play with some heart and get back on track.  I am thinking they just might.  Fingers crossed.

Marshall is 8-9 overall. 

They are CUSA good. Apparently UNT is CUSA bad. 

It doesn't get any easier from here on out. 3 tough road games could leave UNT at 7-13. 

Combs is developing into an all-conference player. If only we could get him some coaching help.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Marshall is 8-9 overall. 

They are CUSA good. Apparently UNT is CUSA bad. 

It doesn't get any easier from here on out. 3 tough road games could leave UNT at 7-13. 

Combs is developing into an all-conference player. If only we could get him some coaching help.

4-0 in conference.  Beating opponents by an average of 18 points per game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

CUSA good is not good, especially this year.

Their first three games were at home. 2 of those were against bad  F_U teams. The other was against a down WKU team. I think Marshall ends up .500 in conference when all is said and done. 

And they could have beat UNT by 30 plus on UNT's home court. So...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Andrew is actually smarter than all of us ON THIS POINT. This really is the only way to approach UNT basketball, and really UNT athletics as a whole. Anything else will simply lead to disappointment.

This is both true and sad. Thus is UNT athletics. 

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

They also lost to a Division II team earlier in the season. 

• Upvote 1

I loved going to the Pit as a kid, through college and while I still lived in the area.  I'm not sure if I lived in Denton now that I would make the trip.  It is just a whipping to pull up the game on ESPN and KNTU and find us continuously behind to teams we should be running out of the gym.  Benford is a joke.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I loved going to the Pit as a kid, through college and while I still lived in the area.  I'm not sure if I lived in Denton now that I would make the trip.  It is just a whipping to pull up the game on ESPN and KNTU and find us continuously behind to teams we should be running out of the gym.  Benford is a joke.

Then why aren't we laughing?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Although I can report that RV was able to fully finish his popcorn tub by halftime...all by himself.

That's kind of like a win, right?

Perhaps an entertaining halftime show would be RV challenging a fan to a popcorn eating contest.  Maybe we could get an attendance spike if it was a RV vs UNT90.  Winner gets a free car wash and a Whataburger.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm not defending our abysmal performance by any means, but I do think that at this point in the season Marshall is pretty good.  They started out 0-6 but have really turned it around since, going 8-3, and they've  played teams like Tennessee, West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, and Akron.  I'm also not seeing the loss to a D2 team that someone mentioned above.

Driving home from the game on Thursday, my friend mentioned that Marshall reminded him of last year's UAB team--alluding to the fact that they also had a rough start in non-conference play before evolving into a CUSA power.  We will see, I suppose, if Marshall can keep it going against the top tier teams.

• Upvote 3

On 1/15/2016 at 10:17 PM, UNTFan23 said:

LOL!  Marshall did everything possible to not score 100 points.  If you look at the stat sheet, they played everyone.  It was hardly our "defense" battling back.  This team still has yet to beat anyone with a winning record and I will be shocked if it were to happen.

Tonight will tell if the Marshall was a fluke.  Correct, NT was never in the game and Marshall coasted to a victory not even effected by their best player and maybe CUSU' s Kelly not playing much because of fouls.  Marshall cleared their bench and the last half was played like a meaningless all star game, no defense on either side.  

Marshall came in really to prove something and was unconsciously hitting threes from the beginning.  NT was missing their second best player and looked totally unprepared. Blowouts sometimes happen that turn out not to mean much, think Benford's victory at A&M.

Another home loss against mediocre WKU will signal real trouble, but I expect a much better game.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Another home loss against mediocre WKU will signal real trouble, but I expect a much better game.

Western Kentucky might not be their usual self but they are still no push-over.  I don't predict a win but another lackluster performance by the Mean Green won't be a good sign at all.