FBI Data on Police Fatal Shootings

The Washington Post studied the approx. 1000 fatal shootings by police departments across the nation for 2015 and came up with some interesting conclusions.  It appears that the vast majority of such shootings fall into one of three catagories:

1.  People wielding weapons,

2.  People who were suicidal or mentally ill, and

3.  People who ran when officers told them to halt.

In addition, only 4% of such fatal shootings were the type that ignited the most violence and protests around the nation...white police officers killing an unarmed black man. While black men make up only 6 percent of the US population, they do account for 40% of the unarmed men shot to death by police in 2015. In the majority of cases in which police shot and killed a person who had attacked someone with a weapon or brandished a gun, the person who was shot was white.  But a large and disproportionate number - 3 in 5 - of those killed after exhibiting less threatening behavior were black or Hispanic.  Regardless of race, in more than a quarter of cases, the fatal encounter involved officers pursuing someone on foot or by car -making chase one of the most common scenarios in the data.

This whole thing deserves some serious study by law enforcement experts, and a review by training officials in departments across the nation.  But, citizens need to help themselves as well....when a law enforcement officer tells you to halt...it is a pretty good idea to halt.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

A good idea - yes, but it doesn't seem like something you should die for.

What this shows is what every logical human knows. Once you catch someone who doesn't want to be caught, they are going to fight, and often that fight is over the officer's gun or the suspect wins the fight to the point that the officer is afraid of being incapacitated and having his weapon taken from him/her, thus having to escalate to deadly force.

Your implication that officers shoot people for simply fleeing is highly uneducated, to say the least. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Your implication that officers shoot people for simply fleeing is highly uneducated, to say the least. 

That was certainly not the point the column was inferring from the FBI statics.  No where did they indicate that police shoot peple simply for fleeing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

And your suggestion that this never happens is naïve.

Your suggestion that it is a frequent occurrence is moronic.

Ill leave this here:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/28/opinions/holloway-tamir-rice-case/index.html

Maybe you morons will wait for a professional investigation before trying to publicly lynch a police officer next time.

Na...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:24 AM, UNTpolitico said:

I'll weigh in we have a court system I personally have had limited negative interactions with the police but I have had some. If you obey a lawful order and you don't pose a threat you don't get shot. If you disagree with an officer the place to disagree and show your disobedience isn't when he's in front of you initially it's in a courtroom yes sir and no ma'am can be amazingly beneficial when you encounter law enforcement. 

I agree.  Common sense says that you act respectfully towards the man with the badge (and a gun).  It should also be remembered though that the officer works for you.  Most (> 99%) cops are dedicated to enforcing the law fairly and intelligently, a few though are thugs and bullies.  That shouldn't be tolerated.  It's a disservice to the good cops and to the community they serve.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GTWT said:

I agree.  Common sense says that you act respectfully towards the man with the badge (and a gun).  It should also be remembered though that the officer works for you.  Most (> 99%) cops are dedicated to enforcing the law fairly and intelligently, a few though are thugs and bullies.  That shouldn't be tolerated.  It's a disservice to the good cops and to the community they serve.

You'd be surprised how hard and strict we are when we police ourselves. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

You'd be surprised how hard and strict we are when we police ourselves. 

Actually, I think most of us do police ourselves fairly well.  I usually drive 75 on the interstate - cop or no cop.  I don't drink and drive.  I don't access on-line gambling sites on my work computer.  I don't rob the 7-11.  I don't cheat on my taxes.  I'm rule-governed.  Most of us are.

• 1 month later...

I'll leave this here. I have some thoughts on the reluctance of these officers to escalate to a higher level of force once this suspect resisted. This clearly demonstrates why the talking is over once even passive resistance occurs. This cat should have been face down on the ground by whichever means could have got him there. These officers are very lucky to escape with their lives and hopefully have learned a lesson in future interactions. And maybe, just maybe, if they had body slammed this cat when the passive resistance occurred, this cat's life is also spared. The concept of quick, violent and over-reactive APPEARING force actually saving lives is foreign to our resident liberals on this board. Pure ignorance:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/other/officers-shooting-caught-on-camera/vi-BBpIDNB

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/28/2016 at 10:25 AM, UNT90 said:

The concept of quick, violent and over-reactive APPEARING force actually saving lives is foreign to our resident liberals on this board. Pure ignorance

90 ....  Anytime anyone disagrees with you ... you yell "Liberal" ... interesting... so were those ranchers in Oregon that got shot protesting grazing rights were  liberals too..??. 

I absolutely support police but don't ever do anything stupid around one (they have guns) ...  However  a few are absolute idiots... one shot at me when I was on the job back in the 60's .. I was a night employee (college kid) ,  not a burglar and doing nothing wrong..  .. I didn't even know he was there... he should have been fired not just chewed out.. he would in today's world (I hope) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

On March 8, 2016 at 11:06 AM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

90 ....  Anytime anyone disagrees with you ... you yell "Liberal" ... interesting... so were those ranchers in Oregon that got shot protesting grazing rights were  liberals too..??. 

I absolutely support police but don't ever do anything stupid around one (they have guns) ...  However  a few are absolute idiots... one shot at me when I was on the job back in the 60's .. I was a night employee (college kid) ,  not a burglar and doing nothing wrong..  .. I didn't even know he was there... he should have been fired not just chewed out.. he would in today's world (I hope) 

There are quite a few educators who are absolute idiots and who don't teach but indoctrinate. Who is really more dangerous?

I'll leave this here. Notice how quickly things turn VERY violent. I guess the guy who "didn't want no problem" really did. 

Background: career criminal that had just been released several months previous from the state pen after serving 19!years for attempted murder. What did he do in his couple of months of freedom? Picked up a new charge of Possession of Cocaine previous to this traffic stop. Why was he stopped? Driving a moped at 3:00 in the morning without a license plate displayed.

Why didn't the officer escalate sooner? I bet I could guess:

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

There are a few in EVERY profession that are absolute idiots... it doesn't the rest or even very many are... .... and for what it is worth I never mention politics or candidates in class  ... plus I teach math ... Don't make generalizations... I am guessing some some people in Granbury are total idiots too ... so should that apply to you..???  Think a bit .. and don't be so radical... and insulting. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

The hell cops face these days.

Two weeks ago a Euless cop is ambushed and killed by one of those harmless, non-violent dope heads

Yesterday a manhunt unfolded before TV cameras in west Fort Worth after a FW cop was critically wounded, including being shot in the mouth after getting ambushed from trying to help serve a warrant.

And two days before that a Prince George Maryland cop is killed by friendly fire after one of three brothers randomly attacked and started a gun battle outside a police station while his other two brothers stood by and videoed the attack.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-pg-county-officer-shooting-20160314-story.html

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2