How should the new coach handle the QB position?

BillySee58

Sign a December juco THAT CAN PLAY SPRING BALL.

sign at least two high school QB's.

bring in a UNC/TCU/P5 stud  QB transfer that will sit out a year.

You never know this or maybe start a true freshman if we have crazy good recruiting.

It would be really interesting if we have an offensive staff that can actually develop a QB, we might make lemonade out of lemons on the roster. 

Let Meacham/Litrrell hire Brad Smiley from TVCC as his OC. Smiley can bring QB Jerod Evans. Problem solved. 

The first question is can either one of those candidates fix Smith. If they believe you can then it buys you time.

Secondly can either one of those guys steal a HS recruit away from some other school with the chance to play early.

We need to find a GS or JUCO who can come in the spring and compete right away.

Now we're talking, haha. It would be huge if they could flip a QB commit.

• Upvote 2

I've never been a fan of the JUCO route. We need to make QB the top recruiting priority this year and not be afraid to let a true Freshman start if he's the option we have and make that our sales pitch. From what I've seen of our current QBs, it shouldn't be too difficult to sell a Freshman on immediate playing time.

Unlike P5 programs, we don't need to be concerned about our players leaving early for the NFL.  We may have to endure a season of mistakes and learning the college games, but it will pay off in years 2, 3 and 4. Our best seasons have been when we've had a senior starter (Scott Hall, Derek Thompson) that has 2-3 seasons of starting experience.

Edited by gangrene

Make it clear to all players, but especially quarterbacks (since that is the current topic), that everyone starts from square one with a clean slate. "All players will be evaluated by me and my staff based on what they show me in practice. Based on the numbers I've seen from last year, you all need a LOT of practice. There will be competition; any players that don't feel they need to compete should see me after this meeting."

Greer needs to be told to hit the streets immediately........this much I know.

Don't honor one single iota of that scholarship and don't worry about him in that he isn't some inner-city kid.... his parents can foot the remainder of the bill

Please do not write things like this.  I know Greer can't play QB.  I actually left the UTEP early because as soon as he got in the game I called pick 6.  After 2 running plays he did just that.  I don't like any sentence in regards to our students or student athletes that start with "Don't honor".   Anyway here is the breakdown

Conner Means  6' 4" find out if he can play another position TE/WR

DeMarcus Smith give him Spring ball to compete for the QB position

Greer - absolute cannot see the field as anything but a kick holder or backup punter 

No more JUCO quarterbacks in 2016

Identify some recruits that won't get other FBS offers to come to the program as walk-ons and let them compete..

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

believe he graduated, therefore could play elsewhere

He did graduate with another year's eligibility.  From what I understand, EWU didn't offer his course of study for his masters, but Oregon did. They used the graduate exemption to avoid him having to sit out a year because he moved up.

A JUCO graduate would be a good idea. That is what Alex Kuresa was when he came to us, and see how well he worked out.

• Upvote 1

Judging by the way Mac & Co. scouted QB's, I would move them all to different positions other than Smith. Recruit several freshman QBs and another JUCO. Have them all compete for the starting spot, hoping Smith or the new JUCO QB win it outright. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1