Post-knee-jerk thoughts about Mac and more

JesseMartin

As should be obvious by the fact that I didn't weigh in a whole lot through the course of this season, especially since Mac's firing, I wanted to temper my response and consider everyone else's thoughts before putting a few things out there.

First, I think it's fair for a lot of us to have mixed feelings about Mac in general, including his firing.  A lot of people, including many with much more awareness of the game than I, really thought he was a great fit here.  I still think that the perennial "winner everywhere they've been" might get a rude awakening here, so the fact that Mac is more of a "take a program out of the crapper and make them competitive" kind of guy is what made him seem like such a great fit.  So even though all of us, even those of us who tried to stay optimistic, saw that things were really headed in the wrong direction, it's still fair to think about how we felt so good about the hiring and wish things had gone better during the latter part of his tenure - not just for the sake of winning, but also because we thought that that's how it should have gone for Mac, as well.

As a side note, if anyone recalls the statements a few of us made about Skladany's retirement, would I be wrong in assuming that most of us would consider him the overall defensive MVP of Mac's time here?  He really seemed to coach guys up and get the most out of them, not just as players, but as a fearsome freaking unit.

Obviously, it was time for Mac to go, and I doubt that many, if any, would disagree after this season.  But it's not out of the question to have a sort of, "Damn, I still kinda hate to see him go because I thought this whole thing would go better" feeling at the same time.  Yeah, it seems like he was playing favorites with McNulty, which hurt us, but if Chico and Smith aren't helping put a spin on things (along with everyone else who evaluated our other QBs that were highly touted), it sure sounds like a lot of guys thought they were coming into a piss-poor program and wouldn't have to put in the work or the time to beat out less-than-stellar competition.  And AM's teammates voted him to be a team captain, so there's that too...but really, shouldn't a solid coaching staff be able to take at least one or two of those guys with raw talent and whip them into shape?

So, yes, there are a lot of things in this whole scenario that could be looked at from multiple angles.  At the end of the day, though, what Coach Mac was doing here didn't work out, even in that one great season where we could have/should have had at least 10 wins but lost at home to UTSA.  It sucks that it didn't pan out, but no matter which side you take when considering the details, the outcome would still have to be the same and we would still be at this point.  I'm still staying hopeful for next year; with a great coaching staff, some of the solid elements already in place getting a bit more experience, and a couple of perfect additions in the right spots on the roster, you never know what could happen.  I won't start drinking the Kool-Aid, especially before we even get a new coach, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to keep hoping that next year could be a complete turnaround, or at least a pretty solid start on the way to 2017.

At the very least, we still have each other.

And beer.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

As should be obvious by the fact that I didn't weigh in a whole lot through the course of this season, especially since Mac's firing, I wanted to temper my response and consider everyone else's thoughts before putting a few things out there.

First, I think it's fair for a lot of us to have mixed feelings about Mac in general, including his firing.  A lot of people, including many with much more awareness of the game than I, really thought he was a great fit here.  I still think that the perennial "winner everywhere they've been" might get a rude awakening here, so the fact that Mac is more of a "take a program out of the crapper and make them competitive" kind of guy is what made him seem like such a great fit.  So even though all of us, even those of us who tried to stay optimistic, saw that things were really headed in the wrong direction, it's still fair to think about how we felt so good about the hiring and wish things had gone better during the latter part of his tenure - not just for the sake of winning, but also because we thought that that's how it should have gone for Mac, as well.

As a side note, if anyone recalls the statements a few of us made about Skladany's retirement, would I be wrong in assuming that most of us would consider him the overall defensive MVP of Mac's time here?  He really seemed to coach guys up and get the most out of them, not just as players, but as a fearsome freaking unit.

Obviously, it was time for Mac to go, and I doubt that many, if any, would disagree after this season.  But it's not out of the question to have a sort of, "Damn, I still kinda hate to see him go because I thought this whole thing would go better" feeling at the same time.  Yeah, it seems like he was playing favorites with McNulty, which hurt us, but if Chico and Smith aren't helping put a spin on things (along with everyone else who evaluated our other QBs that were highly touted), it sure sounds like a lot of guys thought they were coming into a piss-poor program and wouldn't have to put in the work or the time to beat out less-than-stellar competition.  And AM's teammates voted him to be a team captain, so there's that too...but really, shouldn't a solid coaching staff be able to take at least one or two of those guys with raw talent and whip them into shape?

So, yes, there are a lot of things in this whole scenario that could be looked at from multiple angles.  At the end of the day, though, what Coach Mac was doing here didn't work out, even in that one great season where we could have/should have had at least 10 wins but lost at home to UTSA.  It sucks that it didn't pan out, but no matter which side you take when considering the details, the outcome would still have to be the same and we would still be at this point.  I'm still staying hopeful for next year; with a great coaching staff, some of the solid elements already in place getting a bit more experience, and a couple of perfect additions in the right spots on the roster, you never know what could happen.  I won't start drinking the Kool-Aid, especially before we even get a new coach, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to keep hoping that next year could be a complete turnaround, or at least a pretty solid start on the way to 2017.

At the very least, we still have each other.

And beer.

Dan Mccarney is/was a bad coach. I'm glad to see him gone. Too much Mac positivity in this post. He drove us into the ground and 2013 was probably more surprising to him than it was us. Very bad coach. Worse recruiter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I expounded a bit more on what you're referring to in another topic.  He was a bad coach HERE.  His performance elsewhere indicated that he was our kind of guy, but we really need somebody with the state or national name recognition to recruit in Texas AND someone who isn't going to mail in a coaching performance while planning for retirement.  Most of the positivity is based upon what we/I expected and hoped for, as well as the fact that he's generally a good dude, just happens to be one we shouldn't have hired.

I expounded a bit more on what you're referring to in another topic.  He was a bad coach HERE.  His performance elsewhere indicated that he was our kind of guy, but we really need somebody with the state or national name recognition to recruit in Texas AND someone who isn't going to mail in a coaching performance while planning for retirement.  Most of the positivity is based upon what we/I expected and hoped for, as well as the fact that he's generally a good dude, just happens to be one we shouldn't have hired.

He's been a bad coach everywhere. He's been a loser everywhere he has been. He himself even continues to verbally ride the coattails of Hayden Fry and Urban Meyer. Dude sucks. Period. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Look, whoever comes here, under the visionary leadership of the current athletic director and the dynamic support of the BOR and UNT 17, will have to dig out of a hole that is probably even worse than what Dodge had to dig out of under the Dickster. Both the Dickster and Mac left the next coach a roster full of offensive players built on running the ball 2/3rd of the time and throwing passes no more than two yards down the field on the few pass plays we ran. Dodge's offense was able to make Daniel Meager have a career day against an atrocious SMU team that still beat us in his first year, but that fell apart quickly, to the point that we put Vizza in as QB and he got his brains beat in for the next year and a half to the point of quitting. Almost amazingly, the next coach will inherit an even WORSE situation at QB here when he gets here. I truly believe that not one of the QBs on this roster will start next year, unless someone gets hurt. I think Greer, Means, and Chumley will be gone, and Damarcus Smith is a total question mark on whether he can stay eligible and if he can even handle competing for the starting job again, but with guys that can actually play QB at a FBS level. It won't surprise me one bit if the next coach doesn't immediately got to Kevin Dillman and tell him that he wants him to change to QB right now and see if he can win the job right away, just to buy time until you can begin recruiting a QB, which won't be until next year's recruiting class at the earliest.

I don't have any earthly idea who will get this job. I like the resumes of Lincoln Riley, Chris Thomsen, and Sonny Cumbie a lot. I don't think the RB coach at Texas Tech resonates up here like people think it would--seriously, he'd be better at UTSA than he would here, because of his history there and the fact that their recruiting is very centered on Central and South Texas, where his name is Dodge-esque down there. Just don't think he is a good fit. Same with Kendal Briles--I think he is nothing more than a daddy's boy, someone who won't succeed without daddy next to him. He reminds me of the football-version of Pat Knight, who was a colossal failure at Tech as the head coach. Withers at JMU intrigues me, because he is a winner and knows how to lead, but has no connections to this state and our situation within recruiting circles and with an apathetic university. I like the idea of Derek Dooley a lot, too. As a matter of fact, I'd probably peg Dooley as my first pick, followed by Chris Thomsen, Sonny Cumbie, and the Riley/Withers. Honestly, all of them have their plusses/minuses, but we have no idea how much interest we have in any of them or they have in us, beyond sending in a resume or using us to get a raise in income from their current employer. But we do know this--the guy hiring them has more than proven that he has no idea how to find a winner here, nor how to help the situation thru better scheduling, promotion, and raising revenue and membership for the MGC. And because of that, whoever takes this job will get setup for failure, just as the predecessors have been. It hasn't mattered if its SBC or CUSA, Fouts or Apogee, or if the head coach has been conservative or aggressive on offense--the one constant has overseen an amazing amount of suck for 15 years. To expect anything different with this hire is just whistling past the graveyard, in my opinion. And its why so many of us cannot understand--or put up with--the continued support for the AD from the people who control the situation within the BOR and the UNT17. Even the UTSA spare poster on here, as well as friends and colleagues who have any knowledge of the AD situation here, understands how completely inept he is and how pathetic it is that he gest to keep his job in the aftermath of what has occurred here, both in the short-term AND the long-term. When you have a conference mate come on here and post about the reality that our "win" over them here, while stinging to them, may actually be a win for the rest of CUSA, if it means RV keeps his job, should tell you how poorly he is looked at by the very few outsiders that even know North Texas has a football team called  the Mean Green, not the NTSU Armadillos.

At this point, its just a sad reality--until real change occurs above RV, its impossible to see how things will measurably change here, no matter who we hire.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, whoever comes here, under the visionary leadership of the current athletic director and the dynamic support of the BOR and UNT 17, will have to dig out of a hole that is probably even worse than what Dodge had to dig out of under the Dickster. Both the Dickster and Mac left the next coach a roster full of offensive players built on running the ball 2/3rd of the time and throwing passes no more than two yards down the field on the few pass plays we ran. Dodge's offense was able to make Daniel Meager have a career day against an atrocious SMU team that still beat us in his first year, but that fell apart quickly, to the point that we put Vizza in as QB and he got his brains beat in for the next year and a half to the point of quitting. Almost amazingly, the next coach will inherit an even WORSE situation at QB here when he gets here. I truly believe that not one of the QBs on this roster will start next year, unless someone gets hurt. I think Greer, Means, and Chumley will be gone, and Damarcus Smith is a total question mark on whether he can stay eligible and if he can even handle competing for the starting job again, but with guys that can actually play QB at a FBS level. It won't surprise me one bit if the next coach doesn't immediately got to Kevin Dillman and tell him that he wants him to change to QB right now and see if he can win the job right away, just to buy time until you can begin recruiting a QB, which won't be until next year's recruiting class at the earliest.

I don't have any earthly idea who will get this job. I like the resumes of Lincoln Riley, Chris Thomsen, and Sonny Cumbie a lot. I don't think the RB coach at Texas Tech resonates up here like people think it would--seriously, he'd be better at UTSA than he would here, because of his history there and the fact that their recruiting is very centered on Central and South Texas, where his name is Dodge-esque down there. Just don't think he is a good fit. Same with Kendal Briles--I think he is nothing more than a daddy's boy, someone who won't succeed without daddy next to him. He reminds me of the football-version of Pat Knight, who was a colossal failure at Tech as the head coach. Withers at JMU intrigues me, because he is a winner and knows how to lead, but has no connections to this state and our situation within recruiting circles and with an apathetic university. I like the idea of Derek Dooley a lot, too. As a matter of fact, I'd probably peg Dooley as my first pick, followed by Chris Thomsen, Sonny Cumbie, and the Riley/Withers. Honestly, all of them have their plusses/minuses, but we have no idea how much interest we have in any of them or they have in us, beyond sending in a resume or using us to get a raise in income from their current employer. But we do know this--the guy hiring them has more than proven that he has no idea how to find a winner here, nor how to help the situation thru better scheduling, promotion, and raising revenue and membership for the MGC. And because of that, whoever takes this job will get setup for failure, just as the predecessors have been. It hasn't mattered if its SBC or CUSA, Fouts or Apogee, or if the head coach has been conservative or aggressive on offense--the one constant has overseen an amazing amount of suck for 15 years. To expect anything different with this hire is just whistling past the graveyard, in my opinion. And its why so many of us cannot understand--or put up with--the continued support for the AD from the people who control the situation within the BOR and the UNT17. Even the UTSA spare poster on here, as well as friends and colleagues who have any knowledge of the AD situation here, understands how completely inept he is and how pathetic it is that he gest to keep his job in the aftermath of what has occurred here, both in the short-term AND the long-term. When you have a conference mate come on here and post about the reality that our "win" over them here, while stinging to them, may actually be a win for the rest of CUSA, if it means RV keeps his job, should tell you how poorly he is looked at by the very few outsiders that even know North Texas has a football team called  the Mean Green, not the NTSU Armadillos.

At this point, its just a sad reality--until real change occurs above RV, its impossible to see how things will measurably change here, no matter who we hire.

200.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would say the hole isn't as bad as what Dodge had to face but the competition level is more difficult (Sun Belt vs CUSA).  Dodge came to a team with something like 8 tight ends and one receiver.  We seem to have a good supply of receivers and running backs for the new coach to start with.  Quarterback situations are basically the same - neither team has one. Dodge brought in Vizza ... our new coach will needs to bring in one or two.  

A Jinks hire wouldn't set the world on fire but, like those on GMG, folks would get excited once they looked at him closely and talked with him.

If you don't like Kendal Briles I don't see how you can like Sonny Cumbie.  

I would be very pissed if we hired Derek Dooley.  He's gotten poor results at La Tech and Tennessee.   No one at those schools would recommend him as a head coach.  Also, he's as much of a daddy's boy as Kendal Briles.  

You're completely right about RV.  Unfortunately, realization hasn't been made by the powers that be ... yet. 

• Upvote 2

I would say the hole isn't as bad as what Dodge had to face but the competition level is more difficult (Sun Belt vs CUSA).  Dodge came to a team with something like 8 tight ends and one receiver.  We seem to have a good supply of receivers and running backs for the new coach to start with.  Quarterback situations are basically the same - neither team has one. Dodge brought in Vizza ... our new coach will needs to bring in one or two.  

A Jinks hire wouldn't set the world on fire but, like those on GMG, folks would get excited once they looked at him closely and talked with him.

If you don't like Kendal Briles I don't see how you can like Sonny Cumbie.  

I would be very pissed if we hired Derek Dooley.  He's gotten poor results at La Tech and Tennessee.   No one at those schools would recommend him as a head coach.  Also, he's as much of a daddy's boy as Kendal Briles.  

You're completely right about RV.  Unfortunately, realization hasn't been made by the powers that be ... yet. 

I think Cumbie has proven that he can go out on his own and bring in an offensive system to a new school that had a different setup previously and make it work big time. Briles hasn't shown that yet--maybe he will, but Cumbie has already proven he can do it.

Dooley had success at La Tech, enough to get them turned around and get the Tennessee job. The UT job proved to be too much for him, no doubt, but if La Tech fans complain about him, its pure sour grapes. No way someone doesn't leave a G5 school for a P5 payday, especially at a school as poor as La Tech. I just don't hold the Tennessee thing against him too much when considering our opening, as well as using his connections to the Cowboys for recruiting purposes. That said, I realize that he may very well have zero interest in our opening or most college jobs right now.

I don't think the powers at be even remotely want RV gone. I think they either adore him for access (UNT 17) or just think he's a fine AD because he keeps us within budget (BOR). I was wrong about McCarney getting fired before the 4th year of his contract ran out, so maybe this will be different, too. But the way the UNT 17 have come to RV's defense, whether it has been on here, because of the banner flying around, or with Smatresk, its pretty clear that the BOR doesn't care what they do, as long as those 17 big donors pay for it over and above what the university provides. Smatresk was my last hope--thinking that somehow, he would want more from the AD than what he has seen so far and that he would maybe get a BOR member or two to give him the opportunity to bring in someone else, just to rest things at the athletic department. But it either appears that Smatresk doesn't care enough to make a change or the fight to get him removed is just too much because of the BOR and the UNT 17. Either way, until RV leaves, a lot of us just won't come back again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Cumbie has proven that he can go out on his own and bring in an offensive system to a new school that had a different setup previously and make it work big time. Briles hasn't shown that yet--maybe he will, but Cumbie has already proven he can do it.

Dooley had success at La Tech, enough to get them turned around and get the Tennessee job. The UT job proved to be too much for him, no doubt, but if La Tech fans complain about him, its pure sour grapes. No way someone doesn't leave a G5 school for a P5 payday, especially at a school as poor as La Tech. I just don't hold the Tennessee thing against him too much when considering our opening, as well as using his connections to the Cowboys for recruiting purposes. That said, I realize that he may very well have zero interest in our opening or most college jobs right now.

I don't think the powers at be even remotely want RV gone. I think they either adore him for access (UNT 17) or just think he's a fine AD because he keeps us within budget (BOR). I was wrong about McCarney getting fired before the 4th year of his contract ran out, so maybe this will be different, too. But the way the UNT 17 have come to RV's defense, whether it has been on here, because of the banner flying around, or with Smatresk, its pretty clear that the BOR doesn't care what they do, as long as those 17 big donors pay for it over and above what the university provides. Smatresk was my last hope--thinking that somehow, he would want more from the AD than what he has seen so far and that he would maybe get a BOR member or two to give him the opportunity to bring in someone else, just to rest things at the athletic department. But it either appears that Smatresk doesn't care enough to make a change or the fight to get him removed is just too much because of the BOR and the UNT 17. Either way, until RV leaves, a lot of us just won't come back again.

When has Cumbie showed he could do something on his own?  Meacham deserves the lion share of credit at TCU.  Cumbie never been more than a co-offensive coordinator.  Dooley had one winning season in three at La Tech and no one at La Tech would take him back. At UT he was great in the press conference but made many stupid decisions and proved that head coach is beyond is expertise.  Briles, Cumbie, and Dooley all can credit their initial opportunities to their last names.  Dooley has shown he's not head coaching material while Cumbie and Briles have yet to get that chance.  Now maybe Dooley has grown and will do better in his THIRD head coaching opportunity but that is a huge gamble and not one we can afford.  

When has Cumbie showed he could do something on his own?  Meacham deserves the lion share of credit at TCU.  Cumbie never been more than a co-offensive coordinator.  Dooley had one winning season in three at La Tech and no one at La Tech would take him back. At UT he was great in the press conference but made many stupid decisions and proved that head coach is beyond is expertise.  Briles, Cumbie, and Dooley all can credit their initial opportunities to their last names.  Dooley has shown he's not head coaching material while Cumbie and Briles have yet to get that chance.  Now maybe Dooley has grown and will do better in his THIRD head coaching opportunity but that is a huge gamble and not one we can afford.  

I can't argue with much of what you say, but Cumbie was given much credit from the DFW and national media for opening up the TCU offense--that Patterson sought him out specifically to open up their attack and get Boykin more opportunities to make plays. Maybe Meacham was really the engineer of it all, but I've never really heard people mention him the way that they do Cumbie as being the architect of the offensive renaissance that TCU has had under Gary Patterson.

All that said, I doubt that Cumbie will come here or Dooley, for that matter. I think Cumbie will wait out a higher profile opening, especially if Tech's job ever becomes open again. Dooley may just be perfectly content as an NFL coach going forward, too.

Now Jinks, he being a position coach at Tech, after a long successful run as a High school coach, he probably looks at this as his next step up the ladder in his career.  

I can't argue with much of what you say, but Cumbie was given much credit from the DFW and national media for opening up the TCU offense--that Patterson sought him out specifically to open up their attack and get Boykin more opportunities to make plays. Maybe Meacham was really the engineer of it all, but I've never really heard people mention him the way that they do Cumbie as being the architect of the offensive renaissance that TCU has had under Gary Patterson.

All that said, I doubt that Cumbie will come here or Dooley, for that matter. I think Cumbie will wait out a higher profile opening, especially if Tech's job ever becomes open again. Dooley may just be perfectly content as an NFL coach going forward, too.

Now Jinks, he being a position coach at Tech, after a long successful run as a High school coach, he probably looks at this as his next step up the ladder in his career.  

Can't disagree with what you've said here.  Jinks maybe a really good fit for us.