NT Daily vs Vito

Dr. Seuss

That's all I'm talking about, the different styles.  If this is how the AP wants it, well that's how the AP will receive it.  I think having an opinion about 2 different journalistic style is more conversational and not criticizing the individual.  Yes, Vito/DRC/AP are all the same to me. Vito is the face and the person we associate the paper with. 

Dude, you're comparing a game story to a blog post. 

Vito sat through every second of every down of every game of Dodgeball without killing himself. Be glad to have him.

• Upvote 6

We are just stuck with very few options when it comes to North Texas sports. We got recaps and post game stuff, but we are lacking in the analysis part. I know we suck in football, but why? 

Why is the basketball team better? Dont tell me what Benford said or a player. Tell me what on the court makes them better. 

Well, if the main issue is recruiting/talent, how do you continuously analyze that without sounding like a jerk with an axe to grind against the players?

My biggest problem with Vito is that he writes like a guy half paying attention. Like this, in response to his quick fix idea. He defends it by saying no other quick fix idea will work and uses poorly thought out examples. "CUSA, Apogee, some coaching changes didn't fix things" and says that the lone winning season in a decade of losing means that Wins won't help. Meh. 

Or things like this, where he's on auto-journalism.  I'd call it lazy, but that's harsh. I figure it is because he's a busy guy and has deadlines. He's not a football writer, but a beat reporter and that means he'll trot out generic stuff. All that is defensible if he were to use them. Instead he says "no i take what is given!" 

All the above complaining aside, I don't think Clay's game write up is better or worse than Vito's blog post. Again, Vito has a ton to do and can't thoroughly cover every team in depth. I'm glad to see the Daily improve, and actually do some of the things in areas it can provide competitive value. A game recap is largely just reporting facts., with some quotes thrown in. A column or investigative piece requires experience and resources that we can't expect them to have consistently. 

• Upvote 2

It's really pretty amazing that he is able to cover so many different sports, regularly update his blog, pump out full-length articles (including researched data and interviews with elusive coaches/players), and chase our teams all over the country to watch them in live action.  

Cover so many different sports? Vito shows up to about five or so games that are not football, men's or non-conference women's basketball a year. Sure, he writes profile pieces about soccer and volleyball and softball. But -- he does that just by going to a practice or two a season and asking generic, close-ended questions. 

And, FWIW, Sidway does earn a salary from the Daily.