Texas College (11/16/15)

CMJ

It is nice to see the home team actually making a few open shots.  Last year, even when they were wide open, it seemed like it was a struggle.  Also nice to see them shooting the ball in rhythm when they are open instead of waiting until late in the shot clock and covered.  The defense will get tougher as the competition gets better, but still nice to see.

Combs, Reese, Deandre, Deckie, and Brown are ready for any competition. The rest of the team has some growing to do, but give it time and it could get real good later this year or next year if we recruit well again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Is it still possible to add someone at the break, assuming there was someone they want to add?  Or would they already have to be enrolled?

I am curious about this as well. Players have had to wait till the break to become academically eligible (see Tony Mitchel). Would be really great if Mo (assuming he is around) and Benford could talk about what his role would be and find a way to get him on the bench. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I will say, NAIA or not, we haven't scored over 100 all too often, especially in 2 straight games. Hope the offense keeps up.

Not since 1978-79 said the Basketball Twitter.

Had to miss another game because I had to stay at work an extra two hours. Great win for the team, even if Texas College isn't NCAA D-I. Although these games won't really do much for the team's tournament resume, at least the Mean Green have found a rhythm shooting the ball early in the season.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Not since 1978-79 said the Basketball Twitter.

Had to miss another game because I had to stay at work an extra two hours. Great win for the team, even if Texas College is NCAA D-I. Although these games won't really do much for the team's tournament resume, at least the Mean Green have found a rhythm shooting the ball early in the season.

Right on. It's about getting these freshman experience. I am just surprised people are not talking up J-Michael Brown. He could be better than CJ and Josh White. He is special! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Made the game. Team looked good. Defense will be shaky once competition picks up. Brice will be a starter soon. He takes pride in being a rim protector and I like that. He needs quicker feet but that will come in time. Defensively our guards don't need to play so tight. Texas college guards were taking advantage of that early on. There is a time to get in tight and that time is when the opposing team proves they can make jumpers. 

A lot of positives to take away from tonight. I'll be going back next Monday for sure to see how we look vs stiffer competition. GMG

Right on. It's about getting these freshman experience. I am just surprised people are not talking up J-Michael Brown. He could be better than CJ and Josh White. He is special! 

Brown looks good. This looks like an entirely new team. Like I said, a lot of positives. 

*Benford must teach Brice how to throw his body around under the basket before conference play starts. 

• Upvote 1

Made the game. Team looked good. Defense will be shaky once competition picks up. Brice will be a starter soon. He takes pride in being a rim protector and I like that. He needs quicker feet but that will come in time. Defensively our guards don't need to play so tight. Texas college guards were taking advantage of that early on. There is a time to get in tight and that time is when the opposing team proves they can make jumpers. 

A lot of positives to take away from tonight. I'll be going back next Monday for sure to see how we look vs stiffer competition. GMG

Brown looks good. This looks like an entirely new team. Like I said, a lot of positives. 

*Benford must teach Brice how to throw his body around under the basket before conference play starts. 

Fuller needs the same practice Brice gets. Both are a stiff and raw. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Defense played better tonight it seemed.  Gave up fewer points against what might have been a slightly better NAIA team?  Next game will be a better test to see what we really have.

I do love the hustle this team plays with.  This year will be a lot more fun to watch compared to previous years.

• Upvote 1

Now that the scrimmages are over, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming UNT hosted tournament against D1 competition.

Yeah, but even then we aren't bringing top caliber competition. It's very possible we won't know what we really have until conference play starts. SIU should give us an idea though.

• Upvote 1

It's a job saving schedule, for sure.

But Samford, Troy, and the third one I forget are a major step up from a couple of teams not even UNT fans have heard of. They should be able to exploit our lack of size inside and we will get a look at how Brice plays against D1 big men.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but even then we aren't bringing top caliber competition. It's very possible we won't know what we really have until conference play starts. SIU should give us an idea though.

Playing against Northern Iowa & Creighton should give us a better idea how good the NT offense is. 

Edited by Mean_Green09