Billboard anyone?

UNT90

I do have to admit to smiling a bit every time I check that GoFundMe site and the banner one as well as there is Andy Mac's Dad  with Margy McCarney front and center.  The subtle humor is classic.  Anyone care to admit to design ownership?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

This whole thing tires me.  Things will work out as they're meant to be.  No banner or billboard is going to accelerate the process.  We're either having a good time or we're not.  If not, then step away for a while.  Otherwise, you look like a bunch of middle aged #occupyRV hippies.

You couldn't be further from the truth. People push change in every corner of the globe every single day. And I am about as conservative as it gets. I'm not usually the one to publicly dime people out in authoritative positions, but everything has a place and time and the time for this is now. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This whole thing tires me.  Things will work out as they're meant to be.  No banner or billboard is going to accelerate the process.  We're either having a good time or we're not.  If not, then step away for a while.  Otherwise, you look like a bunch of middle aged #occupyRV hippies.

Oldguy, say it isn't so! Has KRAM gotten to you?

• Upvote 3

Sorry kids, the bourbon got the better of me last night.  I do tire of being in the middle.  I've got close friends in the 17. Fly personally saw to it that I got through grad school.  I consider UNT90 a close friend.  When I rage quit after the WKY game in 2009, UNT90 was the guy who called me and told me to stick around.

Outside of UNT, I don't have a very large social network in Texas.  I haven't fit in well in this move to Texas at all.  So UNT is my social outlet.  I enjoy seeing everybody, grilling out, drinking beer together.  We all want the same thing, but I find myself in the middle of a bitter battle.

To me, this thing, this UNT, has nothing to do with who the athletic director is, or even how the team performs.  I received undeserved financial support from Fly that got me through school.  In turn, I made a promise to him that I would financially support the athletes at UNT.  I get a bit verklempt when they call me and thank me.  

It tears me apart to see this internal battle going on.  I don't know what the answer is, but I really, really dislike the state of things today.  

In the words of the late, not so great Rodney King, can't we all just get along?

Appreciate your candor, Oldguy. Rodney King's quote is appropriate and often comes to my mind as well. The "other" Rodney, Rodney Daingerfield, also comes to my mind frequently: "Look out for number one...and don't step in number two!".

• Upvote 1

Sorry kids, the bourbon got the better of me last night.  I do tire of being in the middle.  I've got close friends in the 17. Fly personally saw to it that I got through grad school.  I consider UNT90 a close friend.  When I rage quit after the WKY game in 2009, UNT90 was the guy who called me and told me to stick around.

Outside of UNT, I don't have a very large social network in Texas.  I haven't fit in well in this move to Texas at all.  So UNT is my social outlet.  I enjoy seeing everybody, grilling out, drinking beer together.  We all want the same thing, but I find myself in the middle of a bitter battle.

To me, this thing, this UNT, has nothing to do with who the athletic director is, or even how the team performs.  I received undeserved financial support from Fly that got me through school.  In turn, I made a promise to him that I would financially support the athletes at UNT.  I get a bit verklempt when they call me and thank me.  

It tears me apart to see this internal battle going on.  I don't know what the answer is, but I really, really dislike the state of things today.  

In the words of the late, not so great Rodney King, can't we all just get along?

Ever near or around Denton give me a shout. I'll wallow in UNT sorrow with you...anytime. PM me and I'll shoot you my number.

you are wise man, this billboard thing has gone to far.  A billboard will not make a difference and RV and president are aware how people feel.  I think we dong more to hurt the brand by having this continued hate fest.  Yes I hate that we are losing but i love going to the game and talking with the people around me .  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I believe the billboard represents far more than the AD position. It represents that there is actually a group of people that hasn't been Mack trucked by apathy. It shows that there is a hunger for a winner to be in Denton. This is much bigger than RV. That can't be emphasized enough. 

I understand the frustration but has anyone tried to set an appt with the president to discuss your concerns.  I have never met him but he seems to an approachable person.

• Upvote 2

I understand the frustration but has anyone tried to set an appt with the president to discuss your concerns.  I have never met him but he seems to an approachable person.

I have, and indeed he is a very approachable guy.  The wise old adage about "praising in public" and "criticizing in private" is very appropriate.  And for those inquiring minds out there....no, we were not discussing athletics.

Dr. Smatresk is very aware of what is going on at UNT.  The depth of his knowledge regarding the needs of UNT along with its strength is amazing to me after such a short tenure at the helm. Sure, set up an appointment, it is a much better idea than a billboard or banner.  But, be professional and courteous as he will be that for you.  Also, remember, he may not agree with you, but he will listen...and better yet, he will hear you!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Here is the deal. This should never be personal. If Fly came by my tailgate, I'd happily drink a beer with him and have a discussion on the state of the program. I wouldn't tell and scream like a madman. I would respect his opinion, and hope he would respect mine. 

That said, I'm going to keep flying my flags in distress when tailgating. I'm going to keep wearing solid black to all home games. I'm going to keep doing things in an attempt to bring attention to the terrible job that this AD has done. If anyone hates me for that, so be it.

What I won't do is talk about what I'm wearing or why the flags are flying in distress at my tailgate unless I am asked. And then I'll probably try to change the subject. 

There is a solution that would end all of this fan angst and would be terrific for the UNT athletic department also. That would be an RV resignation. But that would require RV putting what's right for UNT over what's right for RV. And there is no history to suggest this will happen.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

you are wise man, this billboard thing has gone to far.  A billboard will not make a difference and RV and president are aware how people feel.  I think we dong more to hurt the brand by having this continued hate fest.  Yes I hate that we are losing but i love going to the game and talking with the people around me .  

Aware and some combination of doing something about it/giving a F are not the same thing. 

I disagree about this damaging the brand, the brand is already horribly damaged. I don't see how the people who choose to show their spirit this way are making it worse. 

• Upvote 4

I have, and indeed he is a very approachable guy.  The wise old adage about "praising in public" and "criticizing in private" is very appropriate.  And for those inquiring minds out there....no, we were not discussing athletics.

Dr. Smatresk is very aware of what is going on at UNT.  The depth of his knowledge regarding the needs of UNT along with its strength is amazing to me after such a short tenure at the helm. Sure, set up an appointment, it is a much better idea than a billboard or banner.  But, be professional and courteous as he will be that for you.  Also, remember, he may not agree with you, but he will listen...and better yet, he will hear you!

Except that was tried and no appointment was given...

Good lord, man. This isn't a "hate fest," and the fact that you think it is makes me wonder about your agenda in this whole deal. This is shining light on the terrible job performance of this AD and asking that he be held accountable. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Smatresk didn't respond to any emails sent after McCarney's firing about RV's job performance. There's no reason to believe he was willing to meet individually with fans.

Some of you keep telling us we should keep our criticism inside the family and make it private instead of using banners and billboards.

That was tried. It got nowhere. RV dismissed the concerns of unhappy fans as a "minority" -- even though the sentiment here is over 90% for a change at AD.

You can keep clapping harder and hoping for the best. Good luck with that. I'm fed up with the acceptance of losing and I am not going to be shy about saying it, in every way possible to as many people as possible, until RV is out.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Meeting with Smastrek will accomplish absolutely nothing. He knows how people feel about this entire situation and has publicly said minimal while doing nothing about it. It's beside me how some on here feels that is a proactive approach to this when reality is telling us otherwise. The only way RV is out the door before 2018 (TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHTEEN) is if Smastrek is pressured into forcing his hand due to public scrutiny. The banner was a good start. The pressure can't dwindle away because that is exactly what RV, the BOR, and Smastrek are all banking on. Wake up people. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Praise in public, criticize in private

I'm a big fan of that. I exercise it in my professional life. However, sometimes the only way to get the point across when you have someone who has to keep touching the stove to realize it's hot is to go beyond the closed door counseling session. Sometimes, the public display is necessary. You have to keep escalating the force until the message is received. However, while I do exercise the adage of praising in public etc... I also live my professional life with "the bridges I burn light the path to my success." End state is the only thing that matters.

Edited by Silent Eagle
Coherence
  • Upvote 3

So let me get this straight.  I have been MACK TRUCKED by apathy?  Ernie has been MACK TRUCKED by apathy?  I could go on and on.  Brint Ryan?  MACK TRUCKED by apathy?

Keep making fun of your biggest supporters, that will make it all better.

And second, the girls care about women's sports, their parents care about women's sports.  I care about women's sports.

My favorite question I have been answering over the last couple of weeks, "David, who are these idiots?  How much do they really support?"  My answer, "They are a group that feels like they're concerns are not being addressed.  If someone at the top would just state what the strategy is, then we might not be in this situation that we are in today.  But the fact that nothing is being said is making some people very angry."  I don't know how to answer the question any other way.  I personally think the President is doing the right thing by saying nothing.

I will see whoever travels in Nashville on Friday night, or at the game on Saturday, or in Nashville on Saturday night.

Good news for some of you, If you live long enough, Rick Villarreal will no longer be the A.D. here.

And one other thing Tony (Old guy)  there is no war.  I and others are going to continue to support North Texas and North Texas Athletics.  Those that chose not to simply do not exist and will be ignored (by me).  I learned a long time ago to quit worrying about things that I cannot control.  That is why post on this board by me will be few and far between.  I am just tired of personal attacks like statements such as "MACK TRUCKED" by apathy.

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

We have been funding a huge portion of it on our own already.  So how is a couple of thousand bucks when some walk away going to change things?  I just spent 5 minutes reviewing every donation level of mean green club membership.  I could not find the name "Rogers Cadenhead" anywhere.  So you are a shining example of what Ward White (wardly) was asking.  Seriously, have you ever donated to the athletic department? Because you didn't this year, or excuse me if you were left off of the list.

So thanks for the help Rogers, and keep lobbing rocks from afar in Florida while giving no financial help.  That will change things.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 9