The case for coach Canales

ABrownGMG

So, are you saying that you love your job so much that you would do it for free? He wants his paycheck? Of course he wants his paycheck!  Both emotional (being successful at a school that few have been successful before) and (like everyone else) monetarily. And just in case you don't realize it,  so would any of the people mentioned as candidates for the job.  And I'll clue you in on a another concept......none of those candidates that the various posters have mentioned here would feel the least amount of guilt if they got over payed to come here.  

But all of that would be a more desirable thing to you (and others) than a coach that really wants to be here and really wants to do what other coaches have not been able to do?

Let me make a bold statement here. Based on what I've seen of Coach Canales, he couldn't possibly do a worse job than any of the coaches we've hired here since Corkey Nelson was fired.

The point is Chico "really wants to be here" because he has zero shot at getting a head coaching gig at any other FBS and probably FCS school.

Thats what happens when you don't recruit a QB for 6 years and are in charge of one of the worst offenses in college football. 

And if you want to believe that DMac prevented Chico from recruiting a QB, answer me this:

Why didn't Chico leave UNT for another coordinator gig? If he lacked so much control at UNT, why wouldn't he go somewhere else?

The answer is no one else would hire him as OC. Again, that's if you believe the Mac conspiracy theory (I do not). 

So, ya, Chico wants a head coaching gig and knows this is his only shot. Probably in his lifetime. 

Hence the campaigning. 

Look sir, I am Pro Chico, but I'm not campaigning for him, I don't have to. Nothing I say on this message board matters in the least bit to the people making this decision. My opinion doesn't matter to anyone but me. Nothing that happens on this board is influencing decision makers, this is a place to discuss our football program, and there are a plethora of opinions, but they are all opinions. I'm not right in my thinking, neither are you, neither is anyone else, we all have differing views on what will work and what won't. There are guys championing a man who only knows his dad (played for his dad in HS, in college, has coached his entire 8 year career for his dad and has one year calling plays under his belt) but people think he could take this program to the next level. 

i don't know why you're so angry, but you're statement is very much invalid. I don't want to argue with you, you don't like the guy I like for the job, the guy you like for the job isn't coming here, we are in the same boat.

At the end of the day, I'm going to support this university, whoever it chooses to hire, because this place gave me an education and a future and I know the world is bigger than what I want. I'm North Tecas 'til I die.

it's just a coincidence that you start posting when Chico becomes interim head coach and almost every post has to do with Chico for head coach? 

Color me extremely skeptical.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

At the end of the day, I'm going to support this university, whoever it chooses to hire, because this place gave me an education and a future and I know the world is bigger than what I want. I'm North Tecas 'til I die.

It's easy to say in your twenties that you're going to support UNT athletics no matter what forever.

Let's see how you're talking in a couple of decades when they keep finding new and bigger ways to disappoint you, and you start to fear that the last words you'll hear on this Earth are RV saying "my last 13 hires were good at the time I made them."

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It's easy to say in your twenties that you're going to support UNT athletics no matter what forever.

Let's see how you're talking in a couple of decades when they keep finding new and bigger ways to disappoint you.

So I'm only supposed to be proud of where I went to school when it's successful?

I understand there have been long years of frustration at multiple points, I know the history of this university. It's not about jumping in the front of the success bus, the years of suffering only make success so much more satisfying.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The point is Chico "really wants to be here" because he has zero shot at getting a head coaching gig at any other FBS and probably FCS school.

And you know this how?

Thats what happens when you don't recruit a QB for 6 years and are in charge of one of the worst offenses in college football. 

And if you want to believe that DMac prevented Chico from recruiting a QB, answer me this:

Why didn't Chico leave UNT for another coordinator gig? If he lacked so much control at UNT, why wouldn't he go somewhere else?

How about he could see DMac's eventual downfall and wanted another shot at picking up the pieces. Plus, Dickey didn't leave for a better gig when he was winning four championships and going to four bowl games. When he was fired he ended up with several gigs, and now he's part (as OC) of a very successful year at Memphis. Maybe being an OC is Dickey's best move. Just like being a head coach might be Coach C's. best move.

The answer is no one else would hire him as OC. Again, that's if you believe the Mac conspiracy theory (I do not).

Again, you know this how?

So, ya, Chico wants a head coaching gig and knows this is his only shot. Probably in his lifetime. 

Could be. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a great HC here. After all this is North Texas. And, other than Hayden Fry, no one else has figured it out here.

Hence the campaigning. 

I don't mind. I like it when people say they like me and have a good reason to say so. Don't you? The same should go for NT. 

it's just a coincidence that you start posting when Chico becomes interim head coach and almost every post has to do with Chico for head coach? 

Not a problem, I always will.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hence the campaigning. 

I understand your skepticism, but you don't know me. You want to get to me, I'm around and I would love to really know more people who are proud of being part of the Mean Green because there aren't enough.

I read this board all the time, have for almost a decade now. I never joined or commented because I know all these people you talk about personally and I knew nothing out of my mouth was going to be friendly, eventually someone insults your friends enough, you stick up for them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Let's see how you're talking in a couple of decades when they keep finding new and bigger ways to disappoint you, and you start to fear that the last words you'll hear on this Earth are RV saying "my last 13 hires were good at the time I made them."

You're still here.
Us die-hards are gluttons for punishment, or we wouldn't be posting on gomeangreen.com

• Upvote 1

So I'm only supposed to be proud of where I went to school when it's successful?

I understand there have been long years of frustration at multiple points, I know the history of this university. It's not about jumping in the front of the success bus, the years of suffering only make success so much more satisfying.

I like this guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I graduated from UNT twenty years after I got my undergrad elsewhere. I have been an active fan and supporter for almost thirty years now and my clock is winding down. Before I leave, just once, I would like to feel like I nailed the prom queen.

• Upvote 5

Nobody is proud of failure. No alumni or fan left the worst loss by an FBS school to an FCS school in history and was feeling pride.

Whether you're proud of the entire school isn't the issue. We're talking about a specific part of the school -- an athletics program that pays the coach and AD $1 million a year in combined salaries. The only reason to pay that kind of money is to put a product on the field in the top sports that wins and gets alumni fired up and thinking about UNT when they open their checkbooks. If we're willing to suck forever and still express our rah rah rah Mean Green pride, we could go back to being the largest school in the Southland Conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You're still here.
Us die-hards are gluttons for punishment, or we wouldn't be posting on gomeangreen.com

Not for long, if RV makes the next hire. It will show that UNT's leaders are far too comfortable with mediocrity. I can support my alma mater without paying any attention to RV's dumpster fire.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Alright! I got one that hates me, but at least somebody likes me!!

Nobody hates you, and nobody hates Chico. Just because I don't think Chico is the right person for the job doesn't mean I hate him. Just because I think your posts are kinda suspicious dissent mean I hate you.

Juzt because I don't think RV should be allowed to hang around without producing doesn't mean I hate him.

This is a juvenile game played by  some supporters of RV and Chico. "If you don't want my guy to be here, you have a personal ax to grind." 

If you want to argue for your guy, do it using facts, not emotion. Part of the problem is there are hardly any facts to defend RV and really no facts that justify Chico as the next head coach. Hence the "you hate my guy" arguments.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm sure Chico is a great guy, I just don't want him to be the next head coach of UNT football.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

This post seems familiar . . . 

This thread hasn't changed my opinion so much. I think we should go another direction than Canales to give the program a fresh beginning. Canales ties the program too closely to the Dodge era for me. 

As @eoj221 says, I'll support this U no matter the decision. That said, I don't buy the argument that because Canales is passionate or was limited that means he should get the gig. There are other equally qualified (assuming Chico is also, but let's not get into that) candidates that will be equally as passionate about this university also. I simply do not accept that Mike Canales is the only passionate, qualified candidate. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Nobody hates you, and nobody hates Chico. Just because I don't think Chico is the right person for the job doesn't mean I hate him. Just because I think your posts are kinda suspicious dissent mean I hate you.

Juzt because I don't think RV should be allowed to hang around without producing doesn't mean I hate him.

This is a juvenile game played by  some supporters of RV and Chico. "If you don't want my guy to be here, you have a personal ax to grind." 

If you want to argue for your guy, do it using facts, not emotion. Part of the problem is there are hardly any facts to defend RV and really no facts that justify Chico as the next head coach. Hence the "you hate my guy" arguments.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm sure Chico is a great guy, I just don't want him to be the next head coach of UNT football.

I was being sarcastic brother, it will be alright.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You must have developed amnesia during the Dickey years. His team won 26 straight conference games, beat Baylor and Texas Tech, won our first bowl in decades, won four conference championships and produced seven NFL players.

Yes he beat Baylor. Once. In 2003 when they were 3-9 with wins over SMU, Colorado, and Sam Houston. Not impressive. He also lost to Baylor in 1999 when they went 1-10 and we were their only win, in 2000 when they went 2-9, and in 2004 when they were 3-8.

He beat Texas Tech once.in 1999 in what turned out to be Spike's last year at Tech. He lost to Tech in '98, '00, and '01. Matt Simon beat Tech in '97.

His 9 year overall record was 42-64 or 39.6% win pct. His conference record was 31-20(worse than Matt Simon's)). If you take out the 26 consecutive over 4 seasons and1 game, he bookended his career with a 5-20 conference record or 20%. His greatest accomplishment was being head coach when the Big West dropped football. If the Big West keeps football in 2001, Darrell Dickey is fired in 2001. In his first 3 seasons, while NT was still in the Big West, he went 5-11 in conference and 8-25 overall. He was a lucky mf'er that's about it.

Winning those four conference championships under Dickey meant a lot at the time. You can't get anywhere in football without first being strong in your own conference. Boise State was once our Big West conference mate. Look at where they've gotten by winning consistently at each level since then.

Very true but none of those 4 conference championships would've happened if Boise had still been in our conference after '00. 

Edited by Cr1028