MGB: McCarney press conference notes

Brett Vito

So was he trying to say an undisclosed illness had an effect on this blowout?

Next Monday is he going to say a dog ate his playbook?

I would respect Mac more if he just said the obvious. We haven't been a good team, in all facets of the game.

He is the head coach. It is his responsibility to get the team ready to play. Period.

Perhaps he should read President Harry S Turman's desk sign; The buck stops here!

• Upvote 3

I get that D. Smith had a terrible game last week, but shouldn't we be giving him and Conner Means some game time experience so they can gain that confidence and knowledge. Alot of people learn better hands on. I don't think a couple series, in one game is enough. I mean Im sure the kid was nervous and wanted to do good and just got the jitters, and ended up trying to do to much. The kid hadn't played a live game in almost a year.

I feel like if D. Smith would of played the entire game he would of had better numbers* than McNulty.

But that is beside the point, we need to be getting these quarterbacks on the roster to a point where we are 100% confident in their ability. why not take advantage of getting them game time experience, it seems like we are in the perfect situation to do that.

McNulty has had 5 years to improve, and hasn't. I'm not quite convince he can do it in 8 more games. McNulty is obviously the "Best quarterback" right now, but it doesn't mean that the "Best quarterback" will win us games. we should be investing in the future. I am not knocking McNulty starting, but at least give a few dedicated series to D. Smith and Conner Means each game.

• Upvote 1

But that is beside the point, we need to be getting these quarterbacks on the roster to a point where we are 100% confident in their ability. why not take advantage of getting them game time experience, 

We said the same thing about 2013. Those underclassmen should have gotten experience to continue what momentum we were gaining.

Smith was thrown to the wolves, played cold, and was pulled for at least trying to make a play happen. He put balls right in the hands of receivers who then dropped them seemingly for not being used to catching well-thrown footballs with zip. He actually checked down a progression of receivers, most every snap. He made the best of poor o-line play, escaping where he needed to. And in his first goal-line drive that he on his own back got to, he makes one poor decision.

Upon Mini's return is a less than a minute three-n-out, wherein he never checked down anyone after the snaps, eyed his predetermined receivers the whole way, and either under-threw or misplaced balls around them. It was pathetic.

If *that's* our best chance to win, we might as well forfeit.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Bingo! McNulty is at 52% completions and Smith is at 27%. Unless there is a reason Smith looks a LOT better in practice, why not go with the guy who is about double the completion rate. Simply saying "our recruiting is the problem" will not fix the issue right now. 

Yes, it's a bad situation. 

Did you see the game?

Several of Smith's passes were dropped and they shouldn't have been.

• Upvote 1

I get that D. Smith had a terrible game last week, but shouldn't we be giving him and Conner Means some game time experience so they can gain that confidence and knowledge. Alot of people learn better hands on. I don't think a couple series, in one game is enough. I mean Im sure the kid was nervous and wanted to do good and just got the jitters, and ended up trying to do to much. The kid hadn't played a live game in almost a year.

I feel like if D. Smith would of played the entire game he would of had better numbers* than McNulty.

But that is beside the point, we need to be getting these quarterbacks on the roster to a point where we are 100% confident in their ability. why not take advantage of getting them game time experience, it seems like we are in the perfect situation to do that.

McNulty has had 5 years to improve, and hasn't. I'm not quite convince he can do it in 8 more games. McNulty is obviously the "Best quarterback" right now, but it doesn't mean that the "Best quarterback" will win us games. we should be investing in the future. I am not knocking McNulty starting, but at least give a few dedicated series to D. Smith and Conner Means each game.

I agree.

A smart coach would understand to develop the underclass quarterbacks and allow them to gain some game time experience for the future. McNulty is a 5th year Senior and is done with eligibility after this season! I don't want to hear "well he gives us a chance to win" because right now you are 0-4. Grow a pair and start being a smart coach.

• Upvote 1

Bingo! McNulty is at 52% completions and Smith is at 27%. Unless there is a reason Smith looks a LOT better in practice, why not go with the guy who is about double the completion rate. Simply saying "our recruiting is the problem" will not fix the issue right now. 

Yes, it's a bad situation. 

Great sample size..... D Smith completed a ball downfield that McNulty couldn't complete if he passed it 100,000,000,000,000,000,000  times.  D-Smith threw the ball in some crappy situations after we get all the way down the field in shotgun we put D Smith under center and have him throwing the ball on the move.  Makes no sense, almost as much sense as saying the defensive problems aren't a scheme thing, so the only other option is your players can't play or they aren't executing (coaching). 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Did YOU watch the game? Some of Smith's passes were so bad that the commentators couldn't even determine which receiver he was throwing to.

Look most of us watched the game in SD and both QBs looked bad. Smith was bad, McNulty was bad. Smith was thrown under the bus by his HC. McNulty was praised for his solid play. 

Did YOU watch the game? Some of Smith's passes were so bad that the commentators couldn't even determine which receiver he was throwing to.

There were a couple where you could tell he & the receiver were not on the same page regarding the route.  I'm guessing that's what you're referring to.

That happens from time to time.  Happens to McNulty, happens to Peyton Manning.   The way that gets better is to let him practice more with the ones.   All I know is 1 INT in the end zone is not a good enough reason to yank him & say he's not ready.

Throw a few pick-6's, fumble the ball a few times, including scoop-&-scores, and that's a different story (Dajon).

EDIT: The -1 you got was not from me.   I very rarely hand those out, and never when someone addresses me w/dissent.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

There were a couple where you could tell he & the receiver were not on the same page regarding the route.  I'm guessing that's what you're referring to.

That happens from time to time.  Happens to McNulty, happens to Peyton Manning.   The way that gets better is to let him practice more with the ones.   All I know is 1 INT in the end zone is not a good enough reason to yank him & say he's not ready.

Throw a few pick-6's, fumble the ball a few times, including scoop-&-scores, and that's a different story (Dajon).

I feel like if Smith got more time in practice, he would have a better rhythm with his receivers. But then again, we wouldn't have this issue with McNulty if the coaches would have put in other, younger QBs when we were in garbage time (winning or losing) and if they were better able to evaluate and develop quarterbacks. All we saw at the Iowa game was a symptom of a greater illness.

TLDR; saying Smith isn't ready now and playing McNulty, who will never be ready and will have graduated if he ever is, is bad coaching.

• Upvote 1

If we get to seven losses and thus six wins is impossible, then start Smith. At that point, it doesn't matter if we win now. When you start Smith, you are saying you don't want to try to win this year and only plan for next year. And if that is the goal - build for next year - you can't blame losses on the coaching staff. 

Until we hit seven losses, do as they did and work Smith in for a series or two during each game. He will improve or not, but he will clearly be given a chance. If he improves enough, THEN start him. Otherwise just let him learn mostly in practice and some live games. While it isn't a good situation, right now McNulty starting give the team its best chance for a win. 

EDIT: by the way, when is "garbage time?" Last year in the Cotton Bowl, Michigan State was down 21 points to the nations number one offense in Baylor and the Spartans came back to win. Also last year, Baylor scored 24 points on TCU to win. In both of those cases, the team that was down by 3 or more TDs didn't decide it to just run a scrimmage and earned a victory. 

Edited by VideoEagle