GMG.com Twit my Tweet 8.18.15 (practice edition)

Harry

Wish qbs could practice throwing to a sprinting target rather than ones just loafing. I'm sure the corners at SMU will just let Carlos jog by them on a corner route for a TD.

Rinse and repeat. I was always taught to practice how you play. The timing on these guys' throws are going to be off in the games because they aren't throwing to targets moving at game speed.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

Rinse and repeat. I was always taught to practice how you play. The timing on these guys' throws are going to be off in the games because they aren't throwing to targets moving at game speed.

I think yall are over looking this...its still early in the practices..only week 2. They will surely do more GAME SPEED drills when implementing more game plan into practice.  Rememebr they have 4 or 5 weeks of practice this year before the first game due to the delayed season start for us

• Upvote 1

I think yall are over looking this...its still early in the practices..only week 2. They will surely do more GAME SPEED drills when implementing more game plan into practice.  Rememebr they have 4 or 5 weeks of practice this year before the first game due to the delayed season start for us

If that is the case, what were they working on in the summer that Vito touted in his writings? I guess I don't understand the point of throwing out of a drill to a target that is moving at a speed that you are never going to see in a game. Stationary targets, I get that, we run a lot of quick out/wr screen garbage anyhow.

• Upvote 1

If that is the case, what were they working on in the summer that Vito touted in his writings? I guess I don't understand the point of throwing out of a drill to a target that is moving at a speed that you are never going to see in a game. Stationary targets, I get that, we run a lot of quick out/wr screen garbage anyhow.

There were no organized practices (allowed), only conditioning, over the summer so they took it upon themselves to build the chemistry.

These drills are just mechanics in order to make it second nature while throwing.

Quite sure we will never see a video of them going 100% because that's likely when they'd be running an actual play.

• Upvote 1

Every sport does isolation drills to look at mechanics.  In any physical activity, it is not always about pace and timing.  Every body has got to slow things down and isolate mechanics.

Tennis players practice their forehand against balls that are placed in the exact same spot

Baseball players swing at pitches that are practically under-handed to them.

...etc
We have a ton of things to worry about already (Right there with ya on QBs).  Reading too much into a these drills, however, does not need to be one of them.

Looks like Aldo touched on this above.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1