Sack N Save/I-35 Construction Update 8.14.15

Harry

Good news

I wasn't able to take a picture, as I was on the highway heading into Denton, but I did notice that the Sack N Save appears to be closed down and roped off.  There were 4 or 5 huge loads of dirt along the front perimeter of the property, almost like there was a demolition looming.

Bad news

There is some massive highway construction projects in process on I-35 as you head north of Lewisville all the way into Denton proper...

When I say in progress, it is not yet affecting traffic but it sure will be as they are building up wooden ramps and there are a ton of service and concrete trucks and vehicles lining up.  It looks like they are getting everything in place to do the major overhaul we all knew was coming.

So obviously fans coming into games from Dallas need to keep this in mind.  Frankly, I would plan ahead by giving yourself more lead time or perhaps even consider taking the train when you can.  Maybe 5 home games is not the worst thing in the world, because this construction project is a big one from the looks of how they are setting things up.

the good news would be that once this gets done it will change the face of UNT and Denton as it will make everything that way much easier to access.  The bad news is the next 3-4 years will be challenging, especially with the current configuration of where Apogee sits, having basically one roadway in (Bonnie Brae)...

I was by the old Sack N Save this past weekend and half of the old parking lot is torn up.  It's odd with McDonalds and the old Mobil station gone from the I-35 & North Texas Boulevard Corner.  IHOP now has a front row seat to the highway.  

Good news

I wasn't able to take a picture, as I was on the highway heading into Denton, but I did notice that the Sack N Save appears to be closed down and roped off.  There were 4 or 5 huge loads of dirt along the front perimeter of the property, almost like there was a demolition looming.

Bad news

There is some massive highway construction projects in process on I-35 as you head north of Lewisville all the way into Denton proper...

When I say in progress, it is not yet affecting traffic but it sure will be as they are building up wooden ramps and there are a ton of service and concrete trucks and vehicles lining up.  It looks like they are getting everything in place to do the major overhaul we all knew was coming.

So obviously fans coming into games from Dallas need to keep this in mind.  Frankly, I would plan ahead by giving yourself more lead time or perhaps even consider taking the train when you can.  

Or you could just show up on Friday.  Just sayin...

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 7

Speaking to the mess on I35E, I drove from downtown Dallas to Denton yesterday afternoon.  Waze said my quickest route was 114 to 377 to some other highways I can't remember to I35W and on up.   It had me almost completely avoid 35E.  Only exception was from downtown to 114.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

From Flower Mound, and this also works for Lewisville and Highland Village, I take FM 2499 up to FM2181, which becomes Teasley. Just catch the part of 35 between Teasley and Bonnie Brae. 

Once construction on FM 2499 in front of Grapevine Mills is done, that becomes a great option off LBJ just north of the airport.

Edited by rws69

From Flower Mound, and this also works for Lewisville and Highland Village, I take FM 2499 up to FM2181, which becomes Teasley. Just catch the part of 35 between Teasley and Bonnie Brae. 

This accident was north of the Lake Cities, by the old Albertsons.  So going south from Denton, I did 377 to 407 to Hickory Creek to Teasly to 35.  Worked super swell.

All of these options are great until a big rig loaded with bananas somehow becomes engulfed in flames on the Lake Lewisville bridge shutting down the entirety of NB35.  Then, all of these other options are also crap.

this actually happened on 7/24.

My option above takes you around Lake Lewisville to the west. 

= not crap

• Upvote 1

Once construction on FM 2499 in front of Grapevine Mills is done, that becomes a great option off LBJ just north of the airport.

how wide are they making 2499?  Haha I hadn't taken that was since college...thanks for reminding me.  Might not be a bad way to go depending on how many lanes and how many stop signs.

how wide are they making 2499?  Haha I hadn't taken that was since college...thanks for reminding me.  Might not be a bad way to go depending on how many lanes and how many stop signs.

It's already pretty wide between Lewisville and Teasley.  I want to say three lanes in each direction.  But I don't know that I'd cut back over the 35 from Teasley just yet.  That's right where 35 goes from three lanes to two, and the bulk of construction is happening.  I think I'd cut over to Hickory Creek to 407 and on up 377.  

• Upvote 1

I will try Dallas North Tollway to 380 and make a rear entry.

That's the route I always take anyway.  US75 to Sam Rayburn Tollway to Dallas North Tollway to US380 to Bonnie Brae.  The only real traffic I hit is sometimes along 380 once I'm in Denton, so I'll occasionally go up Elm Street to Oak Street once I'm in Denton.  Pretty smooth sailing.

When in doubt, always use the Waze app.  It's gotten me out of many a jam.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

It's already pretty wide between Lewisville and Teasley.  I want to say three lanes in each direction.  But I don't know that I'd cut back over the 35 from Teasley just yet.  That's right where 35 goes from three lanes to two, and the bulk of construction is happening.  I think I'd cut over to Hickory Creek to 407 and on up 377.  

35E condenses from three to two lanes in Corinth before you get to Corinth Parkway.