2015 UNT Defensive Secondary Thoughts

Harry

In 2013, and for about as damn long as I can remember, UNT has had a head hunter (within the rules) leading a very physical brand of defense often led by a player in the secondary.  Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones, Marikeith Knowlton etc. come to mind.  There were others.

In 2014 we lost that player because the greatness of Laramie Lee fought injuries all season long and truly was not himself physically speaking...

Kenny Buyers is a very good player but I think he could be even better in 2015.

But will he be the headhunter we need so desperately or will it be Kishawn McClain --whose star seems to be rising?

And then you have the speedy Jackson brothers who intrigue me; James Gray who can really play and many think will end up starting at safety...6-3 Jamal Marshall  at corner?? and you can't forget one of the stars of the recruiting class Ashton Preston who some think could play right away.  Juco summer transfer Xavier Grindle is a new face in the crowd and may be one of the fastest players on the team.  There are some other transfers as well.

And then we get the news from Vito that UNT has offered two juco db's.  One they think could be James Jones.  Could this mean something?  or does it just make sense in Cosh's mind.

Of course there's a lot of unproven in that list of UNT players in the mix.  And I do expect SMU and Chad Morris will look to expose them.  It's an interesting group we have assembled and I hope that some leaders step forward and emerge.  A lot of focus around here seems to be on Andy McNulty and the offense but the defense really took a step back year and we need to turn that around.

Our defense normally isn't the problem. It's a stagnant offense that can't stay on the field. Any defense playing that much will get exposed, it's just the way the game is set up now. Do I think a corner can be that guy on defense? I sure as hell hope not!  Better be my MLB or R filling fhat. 

• Upvote 1

A bad offense that goes 3 & out or turns over the ball too often exposes an average to bad defense. We just need our offense to eat clock and move the ball and our defense will be good but if we leave this young and inexperienced defense on the field too long, it will get worn down and taken advantage of.