Big 12 expansion

He says it like a dick, but most of what he's said in this post is absolutely true. 

But he still fails to recognize that we are in the same boat. None of us will get into the Big 12. You have to look at through the Big 12 teams eyes. 

1) Why would any of them want any more competition recruiting the metroplex or houston? They dont. They already have to fight amongst themselves and the SEC.

2) Why would they (Big 12) want to add anyone (Central Fla, Cin, Memphis, CoSt) that could potentially benefit from the above mentioned recruiting hot beds and possibly rise up to be a power? And if the future is 4, 16 team conf, adding anyone would mean more than one team gets left at the alter. What if by then any of those teams (assuming they are added to big 12) becomes a powerhouses...does that increase the odds of someone who might have had a couple down years like Iowa St or Tech or TCU at risk of being left behind? Why would any of the current Big 12 want to take that risk?

3) Why would they want to add any more teams. That means more hands in the cookie jar.

They screwed up when they sat on their hands and didnt grab Louisville. Now they are in a wait and see pattern. If the playoffs get expanded to 8 before the next shake up, then I think they might expand. Until then I think they wait and see how next season shakes out. If it goes back to normal, with one clear champ...all is right. 

• Upvote 2

But he still fails to recognize that we are in the same boat. None of us will get into the Big 12. You have to look at through the Big 12 teams eyes. 

1) Why would any of them want any more competition recruiting the metroplex or houston? They dont. They already have to fight amongst themselves and the SEC.

2) Why would they (Big 12) want to add anyone (Central Fla, Cin, Memphis, CoSt) that could potentially benefit from the above mentioned recruiting hot beds and possibly rise up to be a power? And if the future is 4, 16 team conf, adding anyone would mean more than one team gets left at the alter. What if by then any of those teams (assuming they are added to big 12) becomes a powerhouses...does that increase the odds of someone who might have had a couple down years like Iowa St or Tech or TCU at risk of being left behind? Why would any of the current Big 12 want to take that risk?

3) Why would they want to add any more teams. That means more hands in the cookie jar.

They screwed up when they sat on their hands and didnt grab Louisville. Now they are in a wait and see pattern. If the playoffs get expanded to 8 before the next shake up, then I think they might expand. Until then I think they wait and see how next season shakes out. If it goes back to normal, with one clear champ...all is right. 

This is pretty much spot on. The Big XII is on life support. All it will take is one of the three big schools to leave to end it. OU is trying to say we need to get to 12, knowing full well that they won't, because of all the reasons mentioned. Then, once they get the SEC/B1G invite again, they will be gone. I truly think that OU/KU go north together and Texas goes independent, since Texas appears to want the LHN to work and no conference will take it. Texas could set up games with BYU and Notre Dame annually, add in annual games with OU, Tech, Baylor, and Rice, then schedule 6 other games a year, probably three against current P5s, add in a service academy, and two bought wins against low-level G5s and they have 12 on their schedule.

The other Texas sports might join a souped up AAC, assuming they get the Texas leftovers in there with them. It might be the only way the LHN can ever be a money maker for ESPN, actually.

• Upvote 2

I love the mention about TCU and the committment from their BOR's that got them into the Big 12.  What made us a candidate for the SWC back in the day,but not a candidate now?

C.C. "Jitter" Nolan was President and John Hargrove was the Treasurer for NTSU at the time, both understood the role of athletics and made sure Hayden had what he needed, Blakeley as well! Rex Cauble's $30K per year also helped at a time when expenses were not as high and competition as steep. A higher student fee just equivalent to our peers would put us on much more solid ground. Seems we are content to be the cheapest rather than pursuing being the best we can be!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm sure the Colts and Dolphins don't have any complaints about their geographical companions.

college football has a lot more teams. It would be easier. At least pro sports have attempted to have geographic rivalries. College sports seem to only come down to money. No reason UT and Texas state cannot be in the same conference. 

• Downvote 1

college football has a lot more teams. It would be easier. At least pro sports have attempted to have geographic rivalries. College sports seem to only come down to money. No reason UT and Texas state cannot be in the same conference. 

You said that the pros do it well, and I would argue that they don't and they preserve historical rivalries over geography. Good luck convincing UT that they should be in a conference with Texas State.

• Upvote 2

You said that the pros do it well, and I would argue that they don't and they preserve historical rivalries over geography. Good luck convincing UT that they should be in a conference with Texas State.

I know UT would never go for anything geographically, but it would make for the best rivalries and games. In the future it would be nice if teams like Texas State take UTs place and force UT to suffer in a low Division with no oil money :) 

I know UT would never go for anything geographically, but it would make for the best rivalries and games. In the future it would be nice if teams like Texas State take UTs place and force UT to suffer in a low Division with no oil money :) 

Is that like in a post-apocalyptic place in the future?

• Upvote 1

I just don't see Houston that far ahead of unt if at all.  Historical yes but future we both Bring a lot to the table.  BYU is the biggest dawg followed by Boise then everyone else which Houston is part of.  Just because cougar q says it does not make it biblical.  RV work your butt off and get us lined up correctly.  

GMG

• Upvote 1

I just don't see Houston that far ahead of unt if at all.  Historical yes but future we both Bring a lot to the table.  BYU is the biggest dawg followed by Boise then everyone else which Houston is part of.  Just because cougar q says it does not make it biblical.  RV work your butt off and get us lined up correctly.  

GMG

RV, in his mind, has done all that was needed at UNT.  Get us into CUSA.

• Upvote 2

RV, in his mind, has done all that was needed at UNT.  Get us into CUSA.

This.

He got tailgating opened up and saw us get in CUSA. The BOR saw us (meaning they were forced) get a new stadium and have paid out more for a coach than ever in our history. In their minds, the job is done--its just time to coast, as long as we stay in budget.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1