MGB: McCarney press conference notes

Brett Vito

Not surprised by Wilson being the lead back. Sorry Jimmy-Show lovers, I like Jimmerson, He's a nice change-of-pace/3rd down guy. I don't think he's much more than that.

That O-Line still looks fluid. Where on Earth is Epps... Is he still on the team? I imagine he or Ochs will push Thompson for that last Guard spot.

I think it has a lot more to do with Wilson being ridiculously good than Jimmerson not being a CUSA-level running back. I honestly think Wilson may be the most purely talented player on this team, at least in the top 5.
  • Upvote 5

I think it has a lot more to do with Wilson being ridiculously good than Jimmerson not being a CUSA-level running back. I honestly think Wilson may be the most purely talented player on this team, at least in the top 5.

Agreed.

Also - no one should sleep on Tucker. He's legit.

Hey Billy - since you mentioned it how bout you list who you think those top 5 are.

• Upvote 2

Agreed.

Also - no one should sleep on Tucker. He's legit.

Hey Billy - since you mentioned it how bout you list who you think those top 5 are.

I don't know for sure. That's a can of worms I really don't want to open up. Some guys who I think could make that list have yet to play a snap of D1 football (like Tee Goree or Jareid Combs), and it would be a list going just off talent and ability, not necessarily production which is much more important in actuality.
  • Upvote 1

Mac obviously doesn't like Jimmerson and just tolerates him for his talent. Jimmy averaged a half yard more per rush than Wilson last season on almost 3x the number of carries. I like Wilson, too, but Jimmy has been the best RB on the team every year he has been on the team and he keeps getting the shaft. Just symbolic who starts though. Need atleast three effective runners in our system. Jimmy is good enough to get NFL preseason carries after his career here which is more than the guys who started over him his whole career ever got.

• Downvote 3

I don't know for sure. That's a can of worms I really don't want to open up. Some guys who I think could make that list have yet to play a snap of D1 football (like Tee Goree or Jareid Combs), and it would be a list going just off talent and ability, not necessarily production which is much more important in actuality.

But you said "most talented" not the best player. It is the off season. Go crazy with it.

• Upvote 1

Certainly production is much more important but what else do we have to talk about?

Come on - Top 5 most talented/athletic on the team. You make a list. I'll make a list. Not that any of it matters just interested in your thoughts versus mine.

Mac obviously doesn't like Jimmerson and just tolerates him for his talent. Jimmy averaged a half yard more per rush than Wilson last season on almost 3x the number of carries. I like Wilson, too, but Jimmy has been the best RB on the team every year he has been on the team and he keeps getting the shaft. Just symbolic who starts though. Need atleast three effective runners in our system. Jimmy is good enough to get NFL preseason carries after his career here which is more than the guys who started over him his whole career ever got.

Many of your points here are easily disputable and seem more like the opinion of someone who knows JimJim personally.

• Upvote 2

I agree with most of the guys said. I would add Chad Davis and Darvin Kidsy to the mix as well. I also really like McClain's talents, and his combination of size and athleticism could make him a really good safety.

I think if/once Xavier Grindle gets here in the fall he will be the most athletic player on defense. Dude has crazy athleticism.

Unfortunately, I think you hit the nail on the head. Why can't DW get his act together?

it seems that he wasnt there when the other qbs were but dude's got a baby daughter so I'm not even mad. I wouldnt hold that against him as long as he performs but i am certain this coaching staff absolutely will. its like doing things a certain specific way is more important than the results on the field most of the time.