SMU Fraternity Chapter Suspended After Alleged Neighbor Harassment

It isn't that simple though. Yeah, I admit I don't like exclusionary groups that don't have transparent requirements for membership. To me, that is basically a high school clic that got too much validation. Now, that is of course, my opinion, so maybe that is what your referring to. I don't like these organizations, and I should just stop paying attention to them.

The problem is, these organizations are out there actively damaging the school, the school's reputation, and thus by extension, everyone who has a degree from it. OU's team has lost a recruit over this. OU has been blasted with bad media this week. This frat hurt the school as an institution. That is something that affects every student who holds a piece of paper from that school, and thus the rest of the students, both at OU and every school where things like this happen, all have a very real right to be upset.

But we all still cheer for Penn State football, or Alabama football, or UT, or OU during the Switzer years fun fire off balconies and all and these teams share a much closer connection to their university than any Greek organization. Carry on.

• Upvote 1

But we all still cheer for Penn State football, or Alabama football, or UT, or OU during the Switzer years fun fire off balconies and all and these teams share a much closer connection to their university than any Greek organization. Carry on.

I would feel strongly about correcting those organizations if I was represented through them. Your argument, however, is a fallacy of false equivalence. For the argument to be valid, then all of the Greek organizations should be directly beholden and controlled by the university, like athletics departments are. Of course, if that is the case, then they should be subject to all of the regulation and control that other university departments are subjected to.

Edited by UNTDoubleAlum
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So, would you feel different if these were SMU football players living in an off campus house instead of members of a Fraternity?

I wouldn't think so. Improper conduct is improper, no matter who is doing it.

The only thing I feel differently about is that I believe that something about the culture of Greek Life/Frats encourages this behavior (at worst), or doesn't deal with it appropriately (at best).

• Downvote 1

I wouldn't think so. Improper conduct is improper, no matter who is doing it.

The only thing I feel differently about is that I believe that something about the culture of Greek Life/Frats encourages this behavior (at worst), or doesn't deal with it appropriately (at best).

To me, the Sigs are representing their chapter worse than SAE, I know I'm in the minority here. They were singing a song that every single SAE member knows, did they actually mean it? Thats up for debate. When your high school daughter is singing "Drunk in Love" by Beyonce do they actually mean what they are singing? For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SurfBoard

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yep, because peeing on your own LANDLORDS fence is so much worse than calling for the lynching of another human being. Wow.

Was he calling for the lynching of another human being or just singing a song? I didn't know the lyrics went " I, Parker Rice, will never let a * in SAE, I will personally hang them from a tree, before they'll ever sign with me.

When a 17 year old girl is singing "Truffle Butter" by Nicki Minaj, do they actually mean

I bought some cocaine, you can snort it

She became a vacuum

put it on my dick like carpet

Suck the white off like chocolate

Read more: Nicki Minaj - Truffle Butter Lyrics | MetroLyrics

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure vandalizing is against the law, but freedom of speech on a private bus protected by the 1st amendment.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

People are accountable for their actions as well as the words they say. Peeing on your own fence, where it will evaporate and not leave a trace is not compafable to singing about lynching a human being. At least in my book it isn't.

• Upvote 1

Wow, shows how ugly rumors get spread.

Im not a Sig Ep but I was on campus during the time frame you mentioned and I don't recall them ever being kicked off campus for selling drugs or any other reason. They sold their house to the University and it was boarded up after the sale. The house wasn't closed down for drug trafficking Sig Eps used the proceeds of the sale to build their new house on Greek Row. It's the huge monstrosity on the corner of Welch & Maple.

Wow, shows how ugly rumors get spread.

Im not a Sig Ep but I was on campus during the time frame you mentioned and I don't recall them ever being kicked off campus for selling drugs or any other reason. They sold their house to the University and it was boarded up after the sale. The house wasn't closed down for drug trafficking Sig Eps used the proceeds of the sale to build their new house on Greek Row. It's the huge monstrosity on the corner of Welch & Maple.

Correct, we were never kicked off, but something did happen back in '87. That was also 28 years ago, during a completely different time period. I believe drugs were involved, they went from a 100 man chapter down to around 20+. Not sure exactly what happened, I was told at one time but I forgot.

Edited by Dr. Seuss