Jim Leavitt Update

Harry

•Former USF coach Jim Leavitt was named defensive coordinator at Colorado last week. Leavitt spent 13 seasons in charge of the Bulls before being fired in 2010 after an investigation found he struck a player and lied about it. He spent the past three seasons as linebackers coach on Jim Harbaugh's staff with the San Francisco 49ers.

Former USF coach Jim Leavitt was named defensive coordinator at Colorado last week. Leavitt spent 13 seasons in charge of the Bulls before being fired in 2010 after an investigation claimed he struck a player and lied about it despite numerous players present who told school investigators that the allegation never happened. He spent the past three seasons as linebackers coach on Jim Harbaugh's staff with the San Francisco 49ers.

FIFY

Rick

Why do you think they ran him off? Serious question? Because he was getting too powerful at the school or just couldn't get along with the administration, like Mike Leach at Tech?

Same reason Tech did against Leach. He was owed a crap load of money they didn't want to pay, which after wiping off all the egg on their face they still had to pay what he had coming to him. Their internal investigation was a joke.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since moving to west Texas, I have heard a number of reasons why Leach was let go. The main reason was that he is an egotistical jerk that thumbed his nose at administration and was going to do this however he saw fit. He thinks he is better than everyone else. That is from Tech grads.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since moving to west Texas, I have heard a number of reasons why Leach was let go. The main reason was that he is an egotistical jerk that thumbed his nose at administration and was going to do this however he saw fit. He thinks he is better than everyone else. That is from Tech grads.

That's what I felt about Leach--the older alumni with the money couldn't stand him, but the students and younger alums loved him. The thing with Leach was that all he had to do was just say, "I'm sorry for using bad judgment" to Kent Hance and he probably would still have a job there. But they used it as the last straw--paying tha tkind of money to a guy who was a jackass to the administration and big donors eventually caught up to him. Its really too bad--Tech will never have the success they had with Leach and Leach probably will never have the success he had at Tech ever again. And I love every bit of it, since I cannot stand that school or their trashy fanbase at all. The administration hires the anti-Leach in Tommy Tuberville, who literally couldn't wait to finish dinner with recruuits to bolt to Cincinnati, so then they are left to try and quell the Leach fans, so they hire Kingsbury well before anyone would have hired the guy to be a head coach at a P5 school just to satisfy the Leach contingent, even extedning himafter a decent first season. Now, he looks like a colossal failure waiting to happen and Tech cannot do anything about it in the next few years, since he has 6 years left on his contract. Schadenfreude at its finest for this incredibly jealous poster who still cannot understand how lucky Tech got with the state's big schools and how absolutely unlucky we got with them...

• Upvote 1

I don't deny the ego may be there but they were winning and Leach did wonders for that university. My Tech friends swear that Leach made it pretty cool to spend 4 years of your life in Lubbock. When things are going good and the money is coming in egos should never get in the way of that IMO. Just deal with working each other until the end results aren't there.

Just think of all the money Leach was able to help bring to that university. That stuff cannot be ignored.

That's what I felt about Leach--the older alumni with the money couldn't stand him, but the students and younger alums loved him. The thing with Leach was that all he had to do was just say, "I'm sorry for using bad judgment" to Kent Hance and he probably would still have a job there. But they used it as the last straw--paying tha tkind of money to a guy who was a jackass to the administration and big donors eventually caught up to him. Its really too bad--Tech will never have the success they had with Leach and Leach probably will never have the success he had at Tech ever again. And I love every bit of it, since I cannot stand that school or their trashy fanbase at all. The administration hires the anti-Leach in Tommy Tuberville, who literally couldn't wait to finish dinner with recruuits to bolt to Cincinnati, so then they are left to try and quell the Leach fans, so they hire Kingsbury well before anyone would have hired the guy to be a head coach at a P5 school just to satisfy the Leach contingent, even extedning himafter a decent first season. Now, he looks like a colossal failure waiting to happen and Tech cannot do anything about it in the next few years, since he has 6 years left on his contract. Schadenfreude at its finest for this incredibly jealous poster who still cannot understand how lucky Tech got with the state's big schools and how absolutely unlucky we got with them...

Tech isn't UNT. If they want Kingsbury gone, they will buy him out.

In a heartbeat.

It's like the only oil business folks you have been around are roughnecks...

Nope. Well owners. Yachts, hunt'n land, a 4-wheeler for everyone in the extended family, new F-350, whatever the heck they want at that moment.

The roughnecks are dropping all their money in strip clubs & restaurants.

Point is, Kingsbury isn't going anywhere at least for another season.

Dude, don't question UNT90. He's an expert on running an athletic program, scheduling, media relations and now the oil business.

I live in the middle of it out here, and MeanGreenTexan is correct. There have been a ton of layoffs and not just your roughnecks. Engineers pulling in big dollars have been laid off. Small, independent businesses that just started up are closing down because the credit they were extended has dried up. I know people out here that have been millionaires more than once and they have no credit.

The bigger companies can and will weather the downturn, but all that extra cash has dried up for the time being. Then again, who am I to question UNT90 since he is in DFW watching from afar?

• Upvote 1

Getting back to how the price of oil effects athletic donations, check out the article in today's DMN. Even OU is delaying a stadium project because of the drop in oil prices. Current Giving isn't based on the price of oil over the last 8 years, it's based on the price today.

I can't post a link easily from the eReader to this forum on an iPad, sorry. Brett, can you put in a suggestion on that please?

As for Leach, he was far more popular with the 20 something's that give at a much, much lower level than their parents and grandparents. The older fans were cutting their donations before the firing from what I read and was told be friends in Lubbock.

As for Leavitt, remember him. When USF fired him they had a contract to pay him $7.1 million, which was 75% of his total $9 million if he was fired "without cause." They gave him $66k and he sued for the whole $7.1 million. After months of wrangling while Leavitt sat without a job, he settled for $2.7 million. I call the $7.1 down to $2.7 a win for USF more than Leavitt. Never saw who paid Leavitts attorneys fee as those would have been substantial at that point. I remember articles reading that the total USF was going to pay was the $2.7, but press releases often fudge details like that.

Edited by VideoEagle