MGB: UNT officially parts ways with Wesley

Brett Vito

am I not wrong to assume one of the reasons he is with us and not a bigger program were off the court issues?

ACTUALLY...

By bizarre coincidence, within about a week or two of us getting a commitment from Greg Wesley... We JUST SO HAPPENED to bring on a former college assistant coach that also JUST SO HAPPENED to work with Greg Wesley's AAU team.

Also by fortunate coincidence, we didn't hire that guy as a member of the administrative staff (even though that's what his current bio says), because that would have been an unambiguous NCAA violation. No, he found a sudden enthusiasm for higher education, and came to join our basketball operations as a Graduate Assistant. That was only a very tortured, lightly-policed end run around NCAA rules.

His academic passion? Interdisciplinary Studies. But... After 7 months, he decided to get back into officially coaching basketball, and left for UT Pan Am. I am not sure the status of his coursework. If anyone finished a post-grad degree in April of 2013 (semesters end in April, right?) when he left... Let me know if you saw him in the graduation program with you!

Benford ball!

ACTUALLY...

By bizarre coincidence, within about a week or two of us getting a commitment from Greg Wesley... We JUST SO HAPPENED to bring on a former college assistant coach that also JUST SO HAPPENED to work with Greg Wesley's AAU team.

Also by fortunate coincidence, we didn't hire that guy as a member of the administrative staff (even though that's what his current bio says), because that would have been an unambiguous NCAA violation. No, he found a sudden enthusiasm for higher education, and came to join our basketball operations as a Graduate Assistant. That was only a very tortured, lightly-policed end run around NCAA rules.

His academic passion? Interdisciplinary Studies. But... After 7 months, he decided to get back into officially coaching basketball, and left for UT Pan Am. I am not sure the status of his coursework. If anyone finished a post-grad degree in April of 2013 (semesters end in April, right?) when he left... Let me know if you saw him in the graduation program with you!

Benford ball!

Gotcha -- I guess I assumed he may have been a T-Mitch or Reese type situation-- that we got him because someone else was concerned about his "character issues," academics, or what-have-you.

So, there were no red flags from high school anyone was aware of?

Disappointing, but am I not wrong to assume one of the reasons he is with us and not a bigger program were off the court issues? Didn't know much about him as he was being recruited but thought I had heard he was highly rated but some programs were staying away.

Didn't stop Arkansas, Kansas State, or Oklahoma State from offering him. Maybe grade issues (since he didn't qualify), but he had a big-time offer list.

ACTUALLY...

Benford ball!

There's a "but that's none-of-my-business" meme for this, but that's too easy.

It was pointed out to me that these "off-the-field" issues seem to be exclusively for football and basketball players. When I heard that, it occurred to me I had never heard of a volleyball player or swimmer or golfer or soccer player involved in these OTF problems.

Obvious when pointed out but I'd never made the connection before.

GO MEAN GREN

• Upvote 1