UNT QB Comparison

BIG DAWG

Dajon isn't good. It's laughable to write that McNulty "isn't a FBS QB" when Dajon was worse against FBS competition when he was given the opportunity to start.

Like I said earlier, neither of them are FBS QBs. To argue that one is better than the other is crazy; they are both bad.

I guess you dont watch any football other than UNT...you do realize that DW is a freshman with very little experience (and film study) McNulty is a junior. Big difference.

To come on here and say that any freshman or soph is not FBS ready, is what is crazy. I dont know if DW or Greer will ever be anything career wise, but to make that assessment after watching them their first year is...

And then you will come on here and sing the praises of what a 5th year senior did...did you write off DT after his soph or Jr year?

• Upvote 4

Great info.

These stats are not what my eyes told me this year...specifically in regards to Greer.

Greer didn't have nearly as many chances for turnovers or sacks, since he went 3-and-out on almost every series he ever played. When you're getting 9 or 10 plays per possession, there are many more chances for either of those to happen than when you're getting 9 or 10 plays per QUARTER.

• Upvote 2

Greer had three opportunities to start, as did Dajon. Both were 1-2.

In Greer's two losses, against Texas and Louisiana Tech, we trailed 0-7 after the first quarter in one game and were tied 0-0 in the other. He wasn't giving the game away in the first quarter the way Dajon did against Indiana and UAB.

Now, on to McNulty, who is 2-3 as a starter this year. Again, I don't not think he is any better than Greer or Williams because, as stated before, I don't believe any of them are FBS-level quarterbacks.

The only difference with Williams is that people think he has some sort of magic ability to run the football that would stun and wow our opponents. Well...maybe it stunned and wowed FCS patsy Nicholls State. But, when stacked against two bad defenses in Indiana and UAB, Williams was a disaster. He didn't stun or wow either of those porous defenses.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I cannot see anyway possible that Dajon Williams is a UNT student after this season. He will never play here again. Whatever he did to get in Mac's doghouse off the field, he didn't do anything to keep him out of the doghouse going forward on the field. I just think Mac thinks the kid is immature and isn't a leader and isn't willing to give him a break. If DW stuck around for another 3 years and didn't cause any problems, he MIGHT get a chance to start again under Coach Mac. But I'm sure DW and his parents are already talking to FCS schools to transfer to immediately to play or to some other school that thinks they could turn him into something after a transfer year takes away a year of eligibility. I would be just astounded to see him decide to stay here. This offense has zero translation to his skill set, in my opinion.

Edited by untjim1995

TFLF, of the 10 defenses that we have faced Indiana and UAB rank 7th and 6th respectively so they aren't exactly two of the worst defenses we have faced. Also, Indiana has to play conference ball against the toughest division of the Big 10 every week, while UAB had to play Arkansas and Mississippi State.

Greer had the worst shake of it playing the 2 toughest defenses we've faced in Texas (27th) and LaTech (29th), but he did get to face the worst as well in SMUg (125th).

Williams faced Indiana (97th) and UAB (76th) as you pointed out, the 7th and 6th best we've played.

McNulty has faced USM (99th), Rice (47th), FAU (107th), UTEP (46th), and FIU(40th). These are the 8th, 5th, 9th, 4th, and 3rd best defenses we've played. Next week McNulty will quarterback against the 39th ranked defense of the Roadrunners who would be the 3rd ranked defense on the list of teams we've played. Our defense will need to have a repeat shutout if we have any shot of winning.

Another fun fact, the defense we line up against every day in practice is ranked 36th in the nation and would be the 3rd best defense of anyone we play all season behind only Texas and LaTech.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

I'd say that Williams faced the worst defense - Nicholls State - not Greer. SMU was bad, but they'd probably beat Nicholls State.

The point is, again, Dajon had opportunities. People here still believe he wasn't given a chance. He was given ample opportunity and he played very badly.

He is not a true freshman. He is a redshirt who should have long ago learned the system. He didn't. He turned the ball over more often than Greer and McNulty; and those turnovers turned into opponents points several times.

There's no defending any of the three. I'll say it again. None of them have FBS-level talent. "Talent" doesn't mean just running around with the ball to "make things happen" when you don't understand how to read defenses or can't get the ball out quick enough or can't go past one or two reads.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd say that Williams faced the worst defense - Nicholls State - not Greer. SMU was bad, but they'd probably beat Nicholls State.

The point is, again, Dajon had opportunities. People here still believe he wasn't given a chance. He was given ample opportunity and he played very badly.

He is not a true freshman. He is a redshirt who should have long ago learned the system. He didn't. He turned the ball over more often than Greer and McNulty; and those turnovers turned into opponents points several times.

There's no defending any of the three. I'll say it again. None of them have FBS-level talent. "Talent" doesn't mean just running around with the ball to "make things happen" when you don't understand how to read defenses or can't get the ball out quick enough or can't go past one or two reads.

So if Means plays next year and makes mistakes, does that mean he is not a D1 QB and should hit the road too?

• Upvote 2

So if Means plays next year and makes mistakes, does that mean he is not a D1 QB and should hit the road too?

Making mistakes is one thing; not knowing the position or working to learn it is another.

If Means doesn't learn the playbook, doesn't make workouts, won't lead, goes on twitter and pouts, then yes, he should go.

The only game Dajon truly cost us was UAB and even then I think it was because he as pressing because he's a redshirt FR desperate to impress. He's young and has time to develop, learn, and prove himself. Even NFL caliber QBs - Super Bowl winning QBs - have rough outings (Eli, 5 picks vs 49ers as one recent example). Doesn't mean that he gets benched for the rest of the season while his back up comes in and throws a few less picks but critical picks nonetheless. Dajon needs experience if Mac wanted him at NT. You have to wonder why he bought him on if there's such a personality clash between the two.

McNulty threw a pick-six against Rice: blew away whatever momentum we had, especially after the Carlos kick off fumble

McNulty threw a pick-six against FIU to let them back into the game then another pick that was only redeemed because the FIU QB gifted it right back

Every game McNulty has started or played in he's had a turnover or more. He directly cost us chances to beat USM and Rice, which if we did, we'd be playing for a bowl on Saturday.

Means better show something otherwise it's another year in the wilderness... and Canales as OC/QB coach doesn't help.