With McCarney, It's All Downhill From Here

cl_1_2008

Ssp has A LOT more first hand information than I do. If she writes this, I'm going to give it a lot more creadibility than most other posters.

I don't need SSP's inside info from her little brother to inform me of this teams discrepancies. It's recruiting. And as I posted I spoke with a former player at my workplace and he informed me that the team isn't picking up what Mac is laying down. In other words, Mac is losing his team.

Aside from that, it's the lack of recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I don't need SSP's inside info from her little brother to inform me of this teams discrepancies. It's recruiting. And as I posted I spoke with a former player at my workplace and he informed me that the team isn't picking up what Mac is laying down. In other words, Mac is losing his team.

Aside from that, it's the lack of recruiting.

I don't want to dilute your point here - I'm sure you feel you're on a roll - but when it comes to any problems that might be troubling a football program, recruiting can be loosely tied to any argument.

Players not buying in? Recruiting

Players not executing? Recruiting

Players making mistakes? Recruiting

Playbook not being opened up? Recruiting

The near disappearance of 2 of our recruiting classes has me settled on what happened this season. Does Mac still shoulder the responsibility of the losses? Absolutely. But I am not certain of two things: 1) if any coach could have won much considering their (the classes') departure, and 2) whether or not that level of attrition is a flash-in-pan instance, or if it will be on-going as long as Mac is here.

If you still think a clean slate of the staff is the safe way to go, I suggest you look at UNT's history and luck and be careful what you ask for. I'm of the opinion that this staff's success in 2013, including the 2 years of building into it, justifies retention for 1 more year....maybe 2.

• Upvote 5

For any given year, the leaders of the team are most likely your seniors. In 2013 our seniors stepped up and it also allowed underclassmen to excel.

Fast forward to 2014 seniors...I asked this before. Who is having an all conference year? We can call out dajon, z Wallace, McNulty, buyers, jimmerson, kidsy, Marshall etc, but they have more time to improve and can get better.

No one has called out these seniors that much. Maybe some feel they deserve respect because of last year, but they are the main ones playing bad.

Theres no leadership in the lockerroom because the seniors are playing like crap. You cant get on someone's ass when you are playing bad.

Wade, ybarbo, mason, Lee have also been hurt. This doesnt help.

• Upvote 2

I am not asking to be cynical. What does this season have to do with? You've got an inside view the rest of us don't. What can you tell us?

This team stopped trying after UAB. It's the elephant that a lot of us seem to keep missing. Anyone can think whatever they want about WHY that is because I think it would be inappropriate for me to share MY opinions.

Watch an episode of beyond the green after Ohio or Tulane last year then watch the energy of the locker room on this year's episode vs. FAU if you need proof. IT is NIGHT and DAY.

ITS. NOT. RECRUITS. Our freshman.... are bad ass. Ask any of our players about the quality and potential of the freshman and red shirt freshman/sophomore class.

• Upvote 1

This team stopped trying after UAB. It's the elephant that a lot of us seem to keep missing. Anyone can think whatever they want about WHY that is because I think it would be inappropriate for me to share MY opinions.

Watch an episode of beyond the green after Ohio or Tulane last year then watch the energy of the locker room on this year's episode vs. FAU if you need proof. IT is NIGHT and DAY.

ITS. NOT. RECRUITS. Our freshman.... are bad ass. Ask any of our players about the quality and potential of the freshman and red shirt freshman/sophomore class.

Well, "little SSP" did start his first career game against UAB . . . :whistling1:

But in all seriousness, based on what you've said I have some theories.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to dilute your point here - I'm sure you feel you're on a roll - but when it comes to any problems that might be troubling a football program, recruiting can be loosely tied to any argument.

Players not buying in? Recruiting

Players not executing? Recruiting

Players making mistakes? Recruiting

Playbook not being opened up? Recruiting

The near disappearance of 2 of our recruiting classes has me settled on what happened this season. Does Mac still shoulder the responsibility of the losses? Absolutely. But I am not certain of two things: 1) if any coach could have won much considering their (the classes') departure, and 2) whether or not that level of attrition is a flash-in-pan instance, or if it will be on-going as long as Mac is here.

If you still think a clean slate of the staff is the safe way to go, I suggest you look at UNT's history and luck and be careful what you ask for. I'm of the opinion that this staff's success in 2013, including the 2 years of building into it, justifies retention for 1 more year....maybe 2.

Confusing post.

Do you not think DMac is responsible for 2 recruiting classes leaving and providing no production? If not DMac's responsibility, then whose responsibility is it?

• Upvote 1

This team stopped trying after UAB. It's the elephant that a lot of us seem to keep missing.

Moral was down after UAB...hmm...was it because Dajon sucked? Probably not as much as they knew what was coming next.

The staff blew it by not starting dajon against USM. He should have been benched against UAB, but should have still started the next game.

No matter how we feel about dajons work ethic, there was more enthusiasm and pep with this team when he was the starter. The moral on the team and on this board went down when he was benched.

That benching sent the wrong message too. We have several young players out there. I see guys on defense playing way too careful and not flying around. They are tenative and scared to make mistakes. And they still are making mistakes.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Moral was down after UAB...hmm...was it because Dajon sucked? Probably not as much as they knew what was coming next.

The staff blew it by not starting dajon against USM. He should have been benched against UAB, but should have still started the next game.

No matter how we feel about dajons work ethic, there was more enthusiasm and pep with this team when he was the starter. The moral on the team and on this board went down when he was benched.

That benching sent the wrong message too. We have several young players out there. I see guys on defense playing way too careful and not flying around. They are tenative and scared to make mistakes. And they still are making mistakes.

Jeez man.... DW should start paying you guys.

Things were already on the fence. Anytime you base a entire seasons success on the excitement of one individual (who didn't prove enough to the coaches to start at the beginning of the year)- something has already gone really wrong.

Despite what most of you may think- we would still be losing with DW starting. No wonder the guy seems so self-centered when he has all of you to remind him that everything is about him. GAH... I'm done.

Jeez man.... DW should start paying you guys.

Things were already on the fence. Anytime you base a entire seasons success on the excitement of one individual (who didn't prove enough to the coaches to start at the beginning of the year)- something has already gone really wrong.

Despite what most of you may think- we would still be losing with DW starting. No wonder the guy seems so self-centered when he has all of you to remind him that everything is about him. GAH... I'm done.

News alert...we suck and we are 3-7.

You play the player/players with the most upside. Especially if they are also the most physically talented.

And now 2015 will suffer because in a losing season, we still did not get players any reps.

2015 should be all about preparing for 2016, because this year was a waste and next year we will be rebuilding because we didn't do it right this year.

• Upvote 1

You play the player/players with the most upside. Especially if they are also the most physically talented.

And now 2015 will suffer because in a losing season, we still did not get players any reps.

2015 should be all about preparing for 2016, because this year was a waste and next year we will be rebuilding because we didn't do it right this year.

This.

McCarney and his 60k a month will not have to answer for his wrongdoings, ever. Sigh, oh well.

• Downvote 1

I'm not arguing with any of this.

I'm just saying that not everything boils down to how DW does and that we don't suck because they didn't play him at QB.

I'm not arguing with any of this.

I'm just saying that not everything boils down to how DW does and that we don't suck because they didn't play him at QB.

But will we suck NEXT year because we didnt play him is going to be the new question. I Understand trying to hit 6, and we still had an outside shot.

At halftime of the UTEP game, the bench should have been emptied. Even if it is Greer. We were not going bowling.

We have seen what McNulty can do. His leadership, knowledge of the plays, offseason workouts has not translated into success on the field. He is a jr.

the best qb play we have seen this year has come from dajon. No matter how bad his knowledge and work ethic is, he has looked the best out there. His throws were better, he was faster. He has 3 years to work on knowledge, leadership and weights.

I would rather go 3-9 and see what dajon can do than go 5-7 with McNulty playing conservative and winning the rest of the games by running. At least let McNulty try to do more...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But will we suck NEXT year because we didnt play him is going to be the new question. I Understand trying to hit 6, and we still had an outside shot.

At halftime of the UTEP game, the bench should have been emptied. Even if it is Greer. We were not going bowling.

We have seen what McNulty can do. His leadership, knowledge of the plays, offseason workouts has not translated into success on the field. He is a jr.

the best qb play we have seen this year has come from dajon. No matter how bad his knowledge and work ethic is, he has looked the best out there. His throws were better, he was faster. He has 3 years to work on knowledge, leadership and weights.

I would rather go 3-9 and see what dajon can do than go 5-7 with McNulty playing conservative and winning the rest of the games by running. At least let McNulty try to do more...

Oh, sweetie.....

You're actually on to something and nothing at the same time. You see, if none of our athletes think the WHOLE staff believes in them- they won't perform OR DEVELOP.

Moot point.

QB news is soooooo last week and the least of our problems. Hence, the point of my sarcasm....

**** and on DW- Does he even want to???? (Do what you suggested)

Take a VERY CLOSE LOOK at these players. Tell me if you think you are seeing a DRIVE from someone not seeing the field.

Edited by SSP

For any given year, the leaders of the team are most likely your seniors. In 2013 our seniors stepped up and it also allowed underclassmen to excel.

Fast forward to 2014 seniors...I asked this before. Who is having an all conference year? We can call out dajon, z Wallace, McNulty, buyers, jimmerson, kidsy, Marshall etc, but they have more time to improve and can get better.

No one has called out these seniors that much. Maybe some feel they deserve respect because of last year, but they are the main ones playing bad.

Theres no leadership in the lockerroom because the seniors are playing like crap. You cant get on someone's ass when you are playing bad.

Wade, ybarbo, mason, Lee have also been hurt. This doesnt help.

From the start of the season I wondered about this team's leadership. Seeing the players selected/voted as captains on the BYTG episode didn't fill me with confidence and we see that on game day.

What's even more troubling is there is no clear evidence of anyone from the underclassmen ranks who will step up and claim those leadership roles. The closest I can get too is Harris, and he already has to shoulder way to much. Perhaps Jimmerson, but that's about it. Who on the defensive side of the ball can be captain once Akunne graduates?

From the start of the season I wondered about this team's leadership. Seeing the players selected/voted as captains on the BYTG episode didn't fill me with confidence and we see that on game day.

What's even more troubling is there is no clear evidence of anyone from the underclassmen ranks who will step up and claim those leadership roles. The closest I can get too is Harris, and he already has to shoulder way to much. Perhaps Jimmerson, but that's about it. Who on the defensive side of the ball can be captain once Akunne graduates?

VALID.

I would consider it biggest concern #5 for next year.