Something I wish we would've done with Dajon (and we still can)

meangreen15

Right, apparently just one dude.

Unrequited affection is a B, isn't it...

Man, if this delusion is what you need to make it through the day, who am I to take it from you?

You're a magnificent stallion UNT90:

148xImz.gif?1

Fellow posters: I know this seems like a huge sacrifice, but don't consider me a hero. If this is what keeps UNT90 from climbing McConnell Tower and shooting up campus, it's worth it.

I agree with that first part. He could have had the starting job earlier and had more reps. Does it stop him from improvising and forcing throws? Not a guarantee.

Vick, Favre, Romo are qbs who try to fit passes into tight spots. They also try to extend plays and get careless with the ball. Its their style of play. Kaepernick also does it. Its great when it works. Horrible decision when it doesnt.

the pick dajon threw straight to the uab defender was pressure and choking. No weight or film session is going to prepare him for that. The stupid decision to throw it to pegram with close coverage instead of throwing it away. Bad choice.

We got on here and said dajon would make mistakes BEFORE he took a snap. Once he got the starting job, we said he will make stupid decisions. That was based on the years of seeing rookie qbs and freshmen qbs make bad plays. But when he goes out and actually does it, some are shocked and think those mistakes were due to weights and the offseason?

So, just so I'm clear here:

(1) Lifting weight does not make a player stronger.

(2) The play book is irrelevant.

(3) Recognition of defenses is overrated.

So, here are my questions:

(1) Why do football program waste hundreds of thousand of dollars (millions for the bigger schools) to build weight rooms, equip then, then hire strength coaches and assistant strength coaches to oversee all of the lifting, keeping track of the players' gains...and, of those not making gains?

(2) Why have playbooks at all? Instead of wasting time studying playbooks, the players could spend more time playing XBox, smoking grass, drinking 40s, shoplifting from Wal Mart, and getting their girlfriends pregnant.

(3) Why watch game film? That's obviously insulting to players who are "athletic" enough to just "improvise" when their main target isn't open down after down after down. Again, there are other, more enjoyable, things the players can be doing with their time.

I'm sure that Bob Stoops, Nick Saban, and the like totally excuse their quarterbacks from weightlifting, learning the playbook, and watching game film. It's the other 21 starters plus the kicker, punter, and long snapper who really need to waste their time with such trivial pursuits.

It's probable that McCarney's mentor Hayden Fry frowned upon weightlifting quarterbacks who could memorize playbooks and opposing defenses' coverage schemes as well.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Here's that dimwit John Elway in an interview about being a football player:

MF: What are some of the things that the average guy doesn’t know about life in the NFL?
JE: There is just so much to it. There’s the glory on Sundays, but getting prepared to play on Sunday takes tons of time. Not only in learning the offensive system and the defensive system, but also in the hours spent in the weight room in the off-season. Even during the season, we spend hours studying a game plan; there’s a new one each week. Everybody gets dinged up, so you have to spend two, three hours a day in the training room. - See more at: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/qa-quarterback-john-elway#sthash.1Z0gvS0s.dpuf

Men's Fitness :What are some of the things that the average guy doesn’t know about life in the NFL?

John Elway: There is just so much to it. There’s the glory on Sundays, but getting prepared to play on Sunday takes tons of time. Not only in learning the offensive system and the defensive system, but also in the hours spent in the weight room in the off-season. Even during the season, we spend hours studying a game plan; there’s a new one each week. Everybody gets dinged up, so you have to spend two, three hours a day in the training room.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/qa-quarterback-john-elway

What? John Elway didn't get by just "improvising?" He learned the offense and the defense AND LIFTED WEIGHTS. And, he even did those things in the off-season?

Jeez, no wonder the guy only won two paltry Super Bowl rings. Wasted to much time preparing for the games. He was obviously overthinking what is, really, a simple game: take the snap, look for the first receiver..if he's not open, run...or, try to fit it into the "tight window" anyway.

MF: What are some of the things that the average guy doesn’t know about life in the NFL?
JE: There is just so much to it. There’s the glory on Sundays, but getting prepared to play on Sunday takes tons of time. Not only in learning the offensive system and the defensive system, but also in the hours spent in the weight room in the off-season. Even during the season, we spend hours studying a game plan; there’s a new one each week. Everybody gets dinged up, so you have to spend two, three hours a day in the training room. - See more at: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/qa-quarterback-john-elway#sthash.1Z0gvS0s.dpuf
Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Mike Pettine on Johnny Manziel - a fan favorite here - at the beginning of training camp:

"He's been very humble," Pettine said. "He's been great in the meeting rooms. Worked hard -- worked hard in the weight room; one of the best guys in the weight room. Asked the right questions. I think he's ahead of the learning curve."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11246666/cleveland-browns-name-starting-qbjohnny-manziel-brian-hoyer-third-preseason-game-coach-mike-pettine-says

Kirk Cousins' high school coach:

JJ: What’s your best memory of Kirk off the field?

TL: The biggest thing was how much of phenomenal leader he was. The thing I remember is that he outworked everyone in the weight room. Everyone. Kirk had a 4.0 GPA too; he was a lot brighter than I am I can tell you that. He was always really, really organized and focused. He always had a plan.

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/redskins-qb-kirk-cousins-hs-coach-says-skins-are-without-a-doubt-in-good-hands

Obvious DMac wants Lil Mac running the boat so just get used to it. I am pretty sure DW is gone after this year, so next year it is Lil Mac, Greer, and Means

I think DMac want the guy who is going to give a shit, put in the work, and lead his team to victory playing. The first 2 failed at this already this season so it's Mcnulty's turn. I for one second don't believe there is any other agenda than trying to win here. Dajon and Greer need to learn how to play at this level to stay here. If Mcnulty can't learn it, then he needs to go...

I'm excited to see how Saturday turns out. We have another week with McNulty at QB, who will hopefully get more comfortable, and with 3 defensive players returning.

• Upvote 1

Here's that dimwit John Elway in an interview about being a football player:

Men's Fitness :What are some of the things that the average guy doesn’t know about life in the NFL?

John Elway: There is just so much to it. There’s the glory on Sundays, but getting prepared to play on Sunday takes tons of time. Not only in learning the offensive system and the defensive system, but also in the hours spent in the weight room in the off-season. Even during the season, we spend hours studying a game plan; there’s a new one each week. Everybody gets dinged up, so you have to spend two, three hours a day in the training room.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/qa-quarterback-john-elway

What? John Elway didn't get by just "improvising?" He learned the offense and the defense AND LIFTED WEIGHTS. And, he even did those things in the off-season?

Jeez, no wonder the guy only won two paltry Super Bowl rings. Wasted to much time preparing for the games. He was obviously overthinking what is, really, a simple game: take the snap, look for the first receiver..if he's not open, run...or, try to fit it into the "tight window" anyway.

I think TFLF needs to hit the Cut and Paste Weight Room... he obviously hasn't spent enough time in Internet Usage Film Study either.

Disappointing.

• Upvote 4

More Cam Newton, from Cam Newton:

CN: "...I understand that my body has to be ready to do more than just throw the football. I have to take my body through the rigors and be prepared to take hits and be strong enough to tote the ball 10 times a game if asked to. At my position, the core is very important, as is overall body balance. Because there’s very rarely a time when you have a perfect pocket. You have to be able to torque and control your body to make accurate throws, whether it’s a blitz or a pretty pocket.

M&F: So you carry that motivation into the gym, not just the practice field?

CN: Absolutely. It’s a standard that’s set that starts in the weight room. Because during the off-season, many teams overlook that time that you have in the weight room and just go through the motions as if it’s not important. But we have guys like Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, myself – guys that hold each other accountable. It’s like, if you have 10 reps to do, do 10 good quality reps. Don’t just do enough to say you did it. With the group of guys on this team holding each other accountable, it’s the little things that are going to make a big difference for us this season.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/athletes-celebrities/news/cam-newton-2014-mf-strength-team-qb

• Downvote 2

Colin Kaepernick:

SANTA CLARA – Anyone worried whether Colin Kaepernick's sudden celebrity has altered the 49ers' quarterback or turned him Hollywood-soft need only arrive at the team practice facility at, oh, 5:55 on any given morning.

There you'd find Kaepernick's white Jaguar sedan – recompense for one of the ads he shot this offseason – in the first stall of the parking lot and Kaepernick on a bench in the weight room. Or sprinting across the practice field. Or tethered, via a 10-foot chain, to a stack of 35-pound plates he's dragging across the turf.

Michael Wilhoite, a young reserve inside linebacker eager to stay on the squad last year, said he'd routinely arrive before sunrise intending to be the first player in the weight room. Instead, he'd find Kaepernick, then a backup to Alex Smith, had beaten him into the office.

"And it's the same situation this year," Wilhoite said. "You walk in and he's already drinking his protein shake. Because he's already done with his workout."

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article2578282.html

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

TFLF. I know some people consider the brain a muscle, but lifting weights dont make you smarter.

You can try to twist this into me dismissing weightlifting, but its not gonna work. The turnovers had nothing to do with lack of physical ability or mistake with the playbook.

So dajon knew the playbook enough and had the physical ability to lead drives against la techs 2nd team and light up a weak Nichols state. Even had some decent drives against Indiana.

Against UAB, he got weaker and forgot the playbook? That makes sense to you? Or maybe the competition was stepped up and the game got faster? Or maybe they threw another defense at him. Or maybe the level of the athletes made a difference. You cant simulate the increase in comp in film study.

Only thing that dajons offseason messed up was his ability to start early and take those lumps earlier against UT and SMU. Maybe the increased EXPERIENCE would have had him ready by Indiana and UAB.

Chuck Pagano on Andrew Luck:

"He's the first guy here, last guy to leave. Every time you walk by the quarterback room, film room, he's usually in there studying tape. The guy's just relentless. He's relentless. He's relentless on the field, he's relentless in the classroom, he's relentless in walkthroughs. Every part of his job, in the training room, in the weight room, warmups, you guys are out there for all that stuff. He's got a routine and he's a pro's pro, and he was a pro's pro early. Those are the things that we try to tell the young guys coming in, ‘Hey, look, you've got a guy like this, like number 12, and 87 and 90, and Vinny (Adam Vinatieri) and these pros. Just get in their hip pocket and do exactly what they do.'"

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/9/4/6104235/chuck-pagano-praises-andrew-lucks-focus-in-replacing-peyton-manning

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

And McNulty was a workout warrior in the offseason and knows the playbook inside out. How did that translate as far as playcalling? We were still terrified to go for it on 4th and 1. We still ran those whack plays. We still could not run the ball, and we still had no one other than Harris step up at wr. McNulty may know 1000 more plays/senarios than dajon, and our output was still horrible. We were unprepared and lost to USM at home with our smarter, more knowledgable QB. And if he plsys the same way, he will have at least 2 turnovers against rice. and whats the chances of us even throwing calahan's (the NFL talent) way?

That's plenty. It's the story of almost every freaking successful quarterback:

(1) In the weight room

(2) In the film room

(3) In the playbook

(4) On their teammates asses about doing to same

So, yes...seven turnovers from Dajon over a two game span leading to 42 points for our opponents, it has everything to do with preparation.

Maybe someone will direct him to the quotes about these quarterbacks and it will light a fire under his butt. Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that McCarney, Canales,and Wintrich have given them their own examples of past successful quarterbacks at their various stops who worked their butts off to succeed.

Again, he either wants to do it or he doesn't. There are no shortcuts due to "athleticism." Try to tell me he's so athletic that he doesn't have to do the thing Colin Kaepernick was doing, even while he was Alex Smith's backup!

It's either in you or it isn't. If Dajon doesn't have the "hate to lose" mentality in him so much that it drives him to the weight room, film room, and playbook - drive him to get in his teammates' faces about their work habits - why is he here? Ditto any other quarterback on the roster.

What is he waiting for, the punter to step up and lead the team?

Dajon, you are a quarterback; get up and lead the team...every day...everywhere!

And McNulty was a workout warrior in the offseason and knows the playbook inside out. How did that translate as far as playcalling? We were still terrified to go for it on 4th and 1. We still ran those whack plays. We still could not run the ball, and we still had no one other than Harris step up at wr. McNulty may know 1000 more plays/senarios than dajon, and our output was still horrible. We were unprepared and lost to USM at home with our smarter, more knowledgable QB. And if he plsys the same way, he will have at least 2 turnovers against rice. and whats the chances of us even throwing calahan's (the NFL talent) way?

We weren't four or five touchdowns behind in the fourth quarter because of McNulty's turnovers. We have already acknowledged that the defense deserves plenty of blame as well.

McNulty didn't give USM any freebies, okay? If we had been tied with Indiana and UAB 20-20 in the middle of the third quarter, I'd see your argument. But, we weren't.

After falling behind, McNulty led the team on a drive to the 15 or 16, but Trevor Moore missed his first field goal of the year. That would have put us within seven.

Defense gets the ball back, McNulty drives us into USM territory again to about the 30. He's sacked and hurt on the ensuing first down. Dajon come in to replace him and also gets sacked.

McNulty had us down there when it counted. We weren't blown out. Trevor Moore was bound to miss a field goal at some point in his college career. That was a tough point for it to happen.

Still, it's hard to fault McNulty. He wasn't turning the ball over early or late, and had sustained drives when we needed them late. Just didn't finish them off.

That is leaps and bounds better than where Greer and Williams had us in the other losses.

For a qb, the weightroom is for you to build up your body to be able to absorb hits and be able to last a whole season. It's not where you learn to protect the football.

If you're going to fault the fumbles on any part of Dajon's preparation (or lack thereof) it should be on football practice and not developing good habits of having 5 points of protection on the football. He was carrying the ball away from his body and had about a point and a half of protection. Even if he had gained 10 lbs more of muscle to this point from busting his tail in the weight room, that still would've been a fumble the way he was carrying that ball. And he almost did it again the one play he was in against Southern Miss.

Also, that Trevor Moore kick was a bad snap, which led to a delayed hold and made Moore have to slow down mid approach, which almost always leads to a missed kick. It's a shame his streak had to end like that.

Had dajon drove the bus against UAB, he would still be the qb. No increased strength or knowledge. Just as simple as take a sack. Throw it away.

McNulty drove the bus and got praised. If Mac was truly impressed with McNulty, then he will be the bus driver the rest of the year. We will end similar to 2012.

Hopefully our defense will come back like 2013 and we can have a similar bowl year in 2015.

McNulty will start again and drive the bus in 2015. If our defense is dominant, be can have a bowl season. With hard work in the weight room and film study for another offseason, McNulty can give us a DT 2.0 season and become a bowl MVP and sit beside DT in the UNT hof.