Here Was The Point of My Previous Post

UNTLifer

In reference to this post:

GMG.com

DD's 29 wins came against schools with a combined 118-222 record. Four teams were .500 or better and they include one D1-AA.

I just wanted to reveal the truth behind some of the numbers.

Has DD built an SBC winner? Yes

Does the program have more national credibility now? Yes

Does DD attract new fans and keep them? Maybe

Are DD's teams disciplined? No

Does DD make adjustments to his gameplan depending on talent, opponent, etc...? No

Does DD make in-game adjustments? No

Does DD bad mouth the fans, the facilities, etc...? Yes

Does DD sell the program? No

Like I have said many times before, DD seems like a good guy, but I don't think he is the coach to progress this program any further, and I fear that the BOR will hold on to him until the program starts a downward trend again. We can not afford a downward trend and this point.

Does DD make adjustments to his gameplan depending on talent, opponent, etc...? No

Of course the coaching staff does. Are they always better than the adjustment that the other team makes?

Does DD make in-game adjustments? No

Of course they do. If you look over the last 4 bowl seasons, we over the entire season kill people in the third quarter.

Does DD sell the program? No

That is RV's job, not DD's job.

Like I have said many times before, DD seems like a good guy, but I don't think he is the coach to progress this program any further, and I fear that the BOR will hold on to him until the program starts a downward trend again.

I wish that was my fear, my fear is UNT leadership is going to change to the old song and dance. Say athletics is important, and then not spend a dime. With strong leadership, we will be just fine, even if this program tanked it would still be in a much better place than it was 5 years ago. But bad leadership will sink us no matter what.

my fear is UNT leadership is going to change to the old song and dance.  Say athletics is important, and then not spend a dime.  With strong leadership, we will be just fine, even if this program tanked it would still be in a much better place than it was 5 years ago.  But bad leadership will sink us no matter what.

......like it did right after Hayden Fry left. I'll spare you my usual rant on that one. wink.gif ..... cool.gif

Of course the coaching staff does.  Are they always better than the adjustment that the other team makes? 

Of course they do. If you look over the last 4 bowl seasons, we over the entire season kill people in the third quarter. 

You mean like those wonderful adjustments that were made during the Tulsa and Troy games.

At the end of the 2nd quarter of the Troy game, my friend turned to me and said "why has Troy stopped running the ball? We haven't stopped them yet". We got our answer in the 3rd quarter, when Troy realized the same thing......and we obviously didn't.

You mean like those wonderful adjustments that were made during the Tulsa and Troy games.

I didn't say they where the right adjustments.

At the end of the 2nd quarter of the Troy game, my friend turned to me and said "why has Troy stopped running the ball? We haven't stopped them yet". We got our answer in the 3rd quarter, when Troy realized the same thing......and we obviously didn't.

We haven't stopped the run all year, maybe, and this is just a thought, maybe we just can't stop the run?

I didn't say they where the right adjustments. 

We haven't stopped the run all year, maybe, and this is just a thought, maybe we just can't stop the run?

IMO, NT lost 2 vital cogs to our defensive line wheel when we lost one to grades and the other to all but a heat stroke.

Few non BCS schools like NT could ill afford to lose the quality we were told those 2 had (and what some of us have seen ourselves)l. Not saying those 2 were going to be our DL messiahs, but I would have loved to have seen this Mean Green "D" with both of them on the defensive line this Fall. I think things would be different from a defensive perspective, now about that (hopefully) developing NT offense? unsure.gif

So I guess the "adjustments" that the coaching staff will be making for the rest of the year will be "attitude adjustments"...such as "don't worry guys about not being able to stop the run.....we like you anyway"..... rolleyes.gif .... cool.gif

Cerebus,

I usually agree with you, but this is just plain wrong. As head coach he has a lot of responsibilities. One of them is to get butts in the seat to see the product he is putting on the field. I'm not going so far as to say he bad mouths the fans, but he doesn't necessarily sell the program like he should. I would forgive him this inconvenience if his team was completely dominant, but if he wants a geat game day atmosphere (big crowd) he has to go sell the program to the potential fans!

Of course the coaching staff does.  Are they always better than the adjustment that the other team makes? 

I wish that was my fear, my fear is UNT leadership is going to change to the old song and dance.  Say athletics is important, and then not spend a dime.  With strong leadership, we will be just fine, even if this program tanked it would still be in a much better place than it was 5 years ago.  But bad leadership will sink us no matter what.

Our gameplan has been the same for the last 4 years. Run, run, run. It doesn't matter if there are 8 or 9 defenders in the box, DD is going to run it at them. As DD says about every game, the plan is to keep it close and hopefully we'll pull out a win in the fourth quarter.

In game adjustments? As you stated, "I didn't say they were the right adjustments." I have sat in the stands for many a game and heard more than one person correctly call the next play. Adjustments in the passing game? If we aren't throwing the play action roll out out pattern to the tight end, then we are heaving a downfield prayer with the hopes that JQ will go up and get it. Well, he did add the dump to Cobbs out of the backfield this year. DD led us all to believe that we would see Cobbs and Thomas in the same backfield this year, but I don't think he has the creativity to do it.

Selling the program isn't also the coach's job? Tell that to Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Franchione, etc... They go out and speak to their alumni groups in the off-season and sell the program. Meyer was known for creating huge student support at Utah.

I know this is also RV's job, and I think he is doing a fine job, but when DD goes on ESPN radio prior to the UT game last year and badmouths the support of this program, facilities, etc... he does more harm than good. You can't tell me that a coach doesn't sell the program.

UNTLifer--

How does DD bad mouth the fans and facilities.....???? I have never read anything in the paper about that nor heard any specifics on this board on what he has said....can you elaborate??

You would have to have your head in the sand to not hear DD always comment on having to overcome so much more at poor little old North Texas because our fans don't support the program, our facilities don't match up, etc.... The ESPN radio interview last year prior to the UT game comes to mind.

I agree.  DD's job is to sell the program to potential recruits, and Texas HS coaches.  RV's job is to sell it to everyone else.

Is that Mack Brown's job, to just sell it to the HS folks? Then why does he waste his time talking to the UT faithful and building up the program?

If it is not the coach's job then why does UTEP pay Price and incentive for attendance?

DD's negative comments have a negative impact on RV's efforts. It would be the equivalent of DD bringing in recruits and RV badmouthing everything to these kids.

In reference to this post:

Like I have said many times before, DD seems like a good guy, but I don't think he is the coach to progress this program any further, and I fear that the BOR will hold on to him until the program starts a downward trend again.  We can not afford a downward trend and this point.

I posted earlier saying something similar to this. DD is a GOOD coach, not great but good. He'll bring us back to 7-5ish again in a few years, we'll still loose OOC games and find a way to win in confrence.

Due to his lack of ability (or apathy) to change, DD won't ever bring us to the next level. Hes found a way to win in the sunbelt, but he cant adapt to winning any other types of games.

What our school needs to decide on is this: (A) Keep a good coach that goes 7-5, gets you to a bowl game but thats as good as it gets or (cool.gif fire him and go for the 'next level' but risk losing it all.

I say a 99% chance we go with option A.

I agree with Lifer that there is NO QUESTION that part of DD's responsibility is to promote to the media this program that pays his checks any chance he gets. AT THE LEAST he should not EVER, NEVER EVER bad mouth it. There is NOT ONE CIRCUMSTANCE in which this is justified. I for one am sick and tired of it and there are no more excuses for that behavior, RV needs to take care of the issue now! mad.gif

Is that Mack Brown's job, to just sell it to the HS folks?  Then why does he waste his time talking to the UT faithful and building up the program?

I'm not saying it's his job to JUST sell it to the HS folks, but it's his PRIMARY responsibility to sell it to HS coaches and potential recruits. Obviously it's part of DD's job to "build up the program", I'm not arguing that. tongue.gif

If it is not the coach's job then why does UTEP pay Price and incentive for attendance?

Because they want him to put a winning program on the field. Winning builds attendance.

I agree with Lifer that there is NO QUESTION that part of DD's responsibility is to promote to the media this program that pays his checks any chance he gets. AT THE LEAST he should not EVER, NEVER EVER bad mouth it.  There is NOT ONE CIRCUMSTANCE in which this is justified.

I don't disagree with you or UNTLIFER on this, either. wink.gif

Selling the program isn't also the coach's job?  Tell that to Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Franchione, etc...  They go out and speak to their alumni groups in the off-season and sell the program.  Meyer was known for creating huge student support at Utah.

Heck, this year with all the responsibilities that Urban Meyer had in getting Florida ready for the season, he some how found time to talk to every single student organization president on campus to get them to come out to the games and learn the school fight song. He also allowed the student body to name the student section there at Florida in a school wide vote, I think "Swamp Things" won.

I agree.  DD's job is to sell the program to potential recruits, and Texas HS coaches.  RV's job is to sell it to everyone else.

Its a team effort. Part of selling to recruits involves the recruit knowing that he's going to be playing in a place where the fans love the players, etc. So a coach who wants to be the best at selling to recruits also has to involve himself in selling to the school and the community.