'15 Athlete Ryan Newsome

BillySee58

But he doesn't have North Texas listed or did I miss something.

Look at his full offer list and timeline section on his 247 profile.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ryan-Newsome-32263/RecruitInterests

Just reported the offer from us today. The recruiting services aren't quick to acknowledge an offer from "North Texas" mainly because we don't have a rivals board or a moderated scout board being used.

That's why ESPN and definitely 247 are the best recruiting websites for schools like us. ESPN has local guys following recruiting over here and 247 is pretty solid too. Rivals is still #1 overall nationally in my book, but for us in particular ESPN and 247 essentially care more for us.

Oh he got an offer from NT. Do you think we really have a chance to get this guy? Saw all the schools that have offered scholarships and it is a mile high. Just wondering.

As greenbat said in the another thread I started of a 2015 kid we offered, you get 0% of the kids you offer. It's always good to go after these types of kids early on and try to get them on campus for camps and junior day. If they like it then we can hang around.

As mentioned in another thread, we are seeing cases of guys who get offered by schools but wait out the recruiting process. Not a bad decision, but NCAA only allows schools to sign 25 kids per class. If schools fill up their signing classes early and don't have room for guys who want to commit late in the process then those guys are forced to look elsewhere. When those 4-stars are forced to look elsewhere you want to be a school that they think of first as far as who made an impression on them. Then you get them for a visit in January and who knows?

As long as the 25 scholarship/class cap exists we need to go after all these guys and save a few spots for guys in January who couldn't commit to bigger programs because their classes were full.

• Upvote 1

Billy58, really appreciate the education you provide many of us. Gosh many of us not familiar with the recruiting process would never think about some of these points brought up. Guess I feel the last few years and even when I was at NT in late 70's early 80's that we have had to mostly settle for the leftovers. But then seeming some of our walk-on and now having a winning season, we may pull some of those 4 star players right out of HS not when they don't make at some other big school.

• Downvote 1

• 11 months later...

http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1505259

You guys need to watch Newsome's video of him committing. Around 11:05 into the video. After he said "for the next four years, I'll be attending.." he sits there and it almost looks like he's literally making the decision on the spot.

I can't imagine how tough a decision this was for him and how stressful the recruiting process was. A lot of rumors going around. Some say he wanted to go to Tennessee but their class filled up, and it looked like Texas (where his family wanted him to go) was the clear favorite but then Strong may not have had room for him anymore either. Then he ultimately (and seemingly reluctantly) chooses UCLA.

You guys need to watch Newsome's video of him committing. Around 11:05 into the video. After he said "for the next four years, I'll be attending.." he sits there and it almost looks like he's literally making the decision on the spot.

I can't imagine how tough a decision this was for him and how stressful the recruiting process was. A lot of rumors going around. Some say he wanted to go to Tennessee but their class filled up, and it looked like Texas (where his family wanted him to go) was the clear favorite but then Strong may not have had room for him anymore either. Then he ultimately (and seemingly reluctantly) chooses UCLA.

Orrrr, it could be he just straight up chose UCLA over the others

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2015 at 4:33 PM, BillySee58 said:

At first I thought you were talking about his choice of Aledo over the other offers he had, but ya his college choice was probably hard too.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

He is apparently transferring due to the lack of playing time. I wonder what gives him the impression he'll get more PT at superior programs when he couldn't really get on the field for a teetering UT program?  

Exactly. Hate to see really good players continue to fall for the same old tricks.