Meager's Status?

BIG DAWG

Does anyone know if we will being seeing Meager this Saturday in the scrimmage?

This is the main reason I have been wanting to get out there and watch some practices, and especially the scrimmage.

Does anyone know who has been looking good out there while Meager has been giving reps away?

So let me get this straight, if Meager doesn't participate in the scrimmage this Saturday it would be another huge event he's missed due to injuries? 

I mean, he's already missed the Spring game...

Oh boy, just what we need, another "piling on Meager" thread has begun. sad.gif

Hey, if anyone has missed it on GMG.com, Meager (who SBC all star receiver Johnny Quinn "only" says is the future of NT at QB) has missed some playing time at QB last Spring, hit his head on the ground the other day, has a hammy (who doesn't in this year's NT's Fall camp) and if he has one more boo-boo, some on this board will start yet another whole thread on this subject. unsure.gif

LEAVE THE KID ALONE, FOLKS! HE IS NOT SUPERMAN BUT IS MERELY A MORTAL, IE, A HUMAN BEING (just like you and me). By now, we all know the injury situation with the young man.

<>*<> NT Athletics, DD and staff are going to quit communicating to the DRC and boards like this one if all this keeps gettting non-stop front page attention. I'm sure most of you have read that other D1-A programs are zipping their lips when it comes to their own programs unofficial message boards. Also, any of you think our opponents just might be reading our GMG.com "hour on the hour" injury report (especially on one particular player)? You think some of this might even get fowarded to some of our opponent's coaches?

Some won't be happy unless its the negative things that are highlighted and are the main focus at NT. How unfortunate that is (and what a bad example for new alums/potential fans who read all this on this forum). Some of you think things said on this board may be the very stumbling blocks as to why we don't sell extra MG Club memberships or football season tickets? Why would anyone want to invest their time and money into something that they perceive may not be worthy and they make such decsions on bad vibes, karma or perceptions from a collegiate message board--just like this one?

Sorry, its just way too early to be ranting. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Oh boy, just what we need, another "piling on Meager" thread has begun. sad.gif

Hey, if anyone has missed it on GMG.com, Meager (who SBC all star receiver Johnny Quinn "only" says is the future of NT at QB) has missed some playing time at QB last Spring, hit his head on the ground the other day, has a hammy (who doesn't in this year's NT's Fall camp) and if he has one more boo-boo, some on this board will start yet another whole thread on this subject. unsure.gif

LEAVE THE KID ALONE, FOLKS!  HE IS NOT SUPERMAN BUT IS MERELY A MORTAL, IE, A HUMAN BEING (just like you and me). By now, we all know the injury situation with the young man.

<>*<> NT Athletics, DD and staff are going to quit communicating to the DRC and boards like this one if all this keeps gettting non-stop front page attention.   I'm sure most of you have read that other D1-A programs are zipping their lips when it comes to their own programs unofficial message boards.  Also, any of you think our opponents just might be reading our GMG.com "hour on the hour"  injury report (especially on one particular player)?  You think some of this might even get fowarded to some of our opponent's coaches?

Some won't be happy unless its the negative things that are highlighted and are the main focus at NT.  How unfortunate that is (and what a bad example for new alums/potential fans who read all this on this forum).  Some of you think things said on this board may be the very stumbling blocks as to why we don't sell extra MG Club memberships or football season tickets?  Why would anyone want to invest their time and money into something that they perceive may not be worthy and they make such decsions on bad vibes, karma or perceptions from a collegiate message board--just like this one?

Sorry, its just way too early to be ranting. rolleyes.gif

PMG - I'f your not a little concerned about Meagers durability and desire to play, I think your being naive. For someone who has never taken a snap in regulation, he seems to miss a lot of prep time. I don't want to give up on the guy, but as a Mean Green supporter, I would like him to step up. A lot of players play through pain. Meager has a lot of potential, but he also has no evidence of being dependable.

Edited by meangreenfreak

Look we all want Daniel to work out but the reality is he is always hurt. If this were ESPN or FOX and it was OK QB then they would post daily updates.

My impression is the guy is made out of glass. Hold him back against LSU and take over from there.

By the way what is his status?

While I do think that the general opinion of Daniel Meager's injuries is a bit too harsh, I would disagree with Plumm on one facet. Being the quarterback on any football team, especially a D-1 team, is going to make you a lightning rod for scrutiny and criticism. There's no getting denying or avoiding that: it is inevitable. Besides being the single most important position on the field, a lot of coaches secretly subscribe to the idea that a football team is only as good as it's quarterback.

And the fandom, the media, and the entire community knows it.

While I do think that the general opinion of Daniel Meager's injuries is a bit too harsh, I would disagree with Plumm on one facet.  Being the quarterback on any football team, especially a D-1 team, is going to make you a lightning rod for scrutiny and criticism.  There's no getting denying or avoiding that: it is inevitable.  Besides being the single most important position on the field, a lot of coaches secretly subscribe to the idea that a football team is only as good as it's quarterback.

And the fandom, the media, and the entire community knows it.

Agree. If a DB goes out with a hamstring you say get well, who's next up? If the main QB goes out, especially with our lack of backup experience, you say Oh NO the season's over. It is a major concern but not so much to cancel the season.

Agree.  If a DB goes out with a hamstring you say get well, who's next up?  If the main QB goes out, especially with our lack of backup experience, you say Oh NO the season's over.  It is a major concern but not so much to cancel the season.

Except that QB is the most crucial position on the team according to most coaches. But, I agree that it doesn't necessarily mean the season is over, especially with our running backs and what looks to be a pretty decent OL. Also, it is an opportunity for someone to emerge at the position. And, on the positive side, we will have whoever emerges for a long time...IF someone emerges. If not, then I hope we are not in a QB drought of several years like we were in a while back.

Any NT football fan would be concerned about Dan Meager or any of his teammates durability BUT gimmee' a break............. we have those now questioning his D-E-S-I-R-E? rolleyes.gif Is it possible that we need to let him play one or 2 series (or one entire game good Lord willin') of D1-A football before that is even a passing thought?

What could anyone know about this young man's desire to play? I don't think any of us have that luxury since we are not his judges. I believe it will be the NT football coaches who make that determination with all our Mean Green football players. The 2 deep line-up gives most of us a clue of a player's talents and ultimate desire to succeed on the gridiron.

ALL I KNOW IS THIS: The Sun Belt Conference's best receiver in its short football history ie, the Mighty J. Quinn said Meager was the future of NT at QB and that was good enough for me; it was all I needed to hear. I am surprised that that from Quinn is not good enough for others. I wonder how JQ and his teammates are feeling about some of this subject coming from GMG.com? You all know many of these guys (and their parents) do read this board, right? You know who also reads this kind of message board and have told some as such? How about future possible Mean Green recruits who are Texas HS seniors this Fall?

Still I think some of the Mean Green football players (including Meager himself) are probably laughing at some of this seemedly (to some) harmless banter, but I also think they are taking mental notes and jogging some of this in their memory banks, too. wink.gif Who knows, maybe Darrell Dickey has been right all the time about some of our fans and alums.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Any NT football fan would be concerned about Dan Meager or any of his teammates durability BUT gimmee' a break............. we have those now questioning his D-E-S-I-R-E? rolleyes.gif  Is it possible that we need to let him play one or 2 series (or one entire game good Lord willin') of D1-A football before that is even a passing thought? 

What could anyone know about this young man's desire to play? I don't think any of us have that luxury since we are not his judges.  I believe it will be the NT football coaches who make that determination with all our Mean Green football players.  The 2 deep line-up gives most of us a clue of a player's talents and ultimate desire to succeed on the gridiron.

ALL I KNOW IS THIS:  The Sun Belt Conference's best receiver in its short football history ie, the Mighty J. Quinn said Meager was the future of NT at QB and that was good enough for me; it was all I needed to hear.  I am surprised that that from Quinn is not good enough for others.  I wonder how JQ and his teammates are feeling about some of this subject coming from GMG.com?  You all know many of these guys (and their parents) do read this board, right?  You know who also reads this kind of message board and have told some as such?  How about future possible Mean Green recruits who are Texas HS seniors this Fall?

Still I think some of the Mean Green football players (including Meager himself) are probably laughing at some of this seemedly (to some) harmless banter, but I also think they are taking mental notes and jogging some of this in their memory banks, too. wink.gif    Who knows, maybe Darrell Dickey has been right all the time about some of our fans and alums.

PMG-

I have played a lot of football in my life, and watched even more. When a player gets hit hard and stays down - more often than not, usually it's not because he's hurt, it's because he is buying time. Meager is a great physical talent, but I believe there is a reason why no top tier school offered him a scholarship. He reminds me of Kerry Collins of several years back. I half expect him to just hang up his cleats and walk away. Maybe after he gets in a few games and wins a few times he will remember how great it feels to compete and win. I truely believe that if we can just get him in a real game situation, the fire will light inside. I just don't see it in the pratices so far or in spring drills. QB is as much leadership as it is talent. That is what made Scott Hall and Mitch Maher so great in years past. They had the passion that made them want to lead THEIR team. They took ownership of the team. Danny needs to take some ownership!

Of course, lest some forget, this was to be Drew Smith's team to QB this Fall, but a Higher Power had other plans for the great Andrew Smith...............#12

JUST CURIOUS: But is it time for Korey "Special K" Washington to get a closer look at QB for insurance? He had some pretty nice numbers as a QB who (like Meager) also took his team to the Texas UIL state play-offs. Is Dickey and Flanagan heading in that direction? Harry/Cerebus: Any thoughts on that?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

freak, just a question, how many times have you seen Meager practice/play?

I stand on the hill outside of the afternoon practices just beyond the black iron fence. I have made it to most of the MWF afternoons. Last year I would sit on the hill at the practice fields for the afternoon practices. In the spring I made it to three or four of the practices and the first Saturday scrimmage. I live less than 5 miles from campus. So, all in all, I would say I have seen him more than the average poster on this board.

I think Meager is our best hope for QB this year, he just needs to own the position.

JUST CURIOUS: But is it time for Korey "Special K" Washington to get a closer  look at QB for insurance?  He had some pretty nice numbers as a QB who (like Meager) also took his team to the Texas UIL state play-offs.  Is Dickey and Flanagan heading in that direction?  Harry/Cerebus: Any thoughts on that?

GMG!

I don't think they're interested in Washington as a passer. There must be something about his arm (mechanics, strength, etc.) that they don't like, since he was kind of singled out as someone who they're NOT trying at QB. I don't have his exact numbers from high school. I know he threw for around 1,000 yards, but I don't think he had particularly good passing numbers otherwise. He was a runner first and foremost.

I would think that even if he were going to be a QB around here, that, like Warren, he would need a year of just learning how to be a passer first.

To be fair, the only freshmen QBs I've actually seen play are Warren and Phillips. I believe that Phillips is the most developed passer. Still, none of our guys have experience. And while people like to say that Scott Hall lacked experience or Smith lacked experience, I think they're missing the point. Our expectations have grown. The target on our backs has grown. People want to go undefeated in conference, beat some OOC opponents, and win a bowl game. They've got every right to be nervous with nothing but question marks at one of the most critical positions on the team.

I don't know why anyone would argue about Meager's toughness. Rehabbing from injuries is no walk in the park and it takes patience, dedication, and a whole lot of tolerance for pain to completely get it done.

That being said, I kind of wonder whether Meager is maybe not doing something in warm-ups or something that he needs to keep himself limber. It might be something they haven't discovered yet - different needs for different players - but it's just a thought.

Although I like Meager as a QB and I wish him well, I'm half-reminded of the Ranger's Justin Thompson. The Rangers drafted the kid - a 90+ mph fastball slinging southpaw - to be the future ace of the Rangers. Then, Justin tore his rotator cuff. After surgery and rehab, he got back on the mound and two or three games into his assignment, tore the cuff again. He tore his rotator cuff THREE times before the Rangers finally quit resigning him.

I'm not saying that Meager is the same way, but it is something that you have to look at. Earlier, someone mentioned how many concussions Troy Aikman had and how he still played the game. The question is, do we want a guy to have to do that? At some point, you have to be concerned for the player's health. I'm sure Meager is giving it all he's got on the field, but at some point you have to say, "We appreciate your hard work, but you've got to stop for your health." I'd really feel bad if Meager pushed himself too hard and ended up without the use of his arm at the age of 30.

Playing professionally is a bit different. Guys like Aikman and Steve Young were getting paid millions of dollars to go out there and take a beating. All the while, they were putting that money away and planning lucrative commentating deals once they were done (well, Aikman at least). Meager's still got most of his life ahead of him. He's still got to finish college and find a career. I say, if Meager can stay healthy and prove he's #1, let him play. But DD should also get other guys some reps, just in case. Either way, I'll be out there cheering for whoever is our QB.