UNT vs FAU

GMG24

Men's team found a way to win, at this point in the season, that's about all I'm concerned with.  Find a way to win and keep getting better.  We won with Smart being a non factor until 2 minutes left when he hits 4 FTs.  If we had 1/2 more legit scoring threats we'd be tough to beat.  I LOVE Zachary Simmons!  That kid is going to be special for us.  

I know now this is unpopular opinion but, Lawson SO, Woolridge SO, Simmons Freshman, Tikhoneko RS, Smart SO, team has make up to be special next year.  Need Lawson and Woolridge to find a way to become 70 % FT shooters.  Need to bring in a dude to fill Tamara shoes and we should be rocking and rolling.  I'm hoping with new dining hall, and nutritionist (hopefully all our athletes have access to them). We should be able to put solid weight on every kid in the program. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

Men's team found a way to win, at this point in the season, that's about all I'm concerned with.  Find a way to win and keep getting better.  We won with Smart being a non factor until 2 minutes left when he hits 4 FTs.  If we had 1/2 more legit scoring threats we'd be tough to beat.  I LOVE Zachary Simmons!  That kid is going to be special for us.  

I know now this is unpopular opinion but, Lawson SO, Woolridge SO, Simmons Freshman, Tikhoneko RS, Smart SO, team has make up to be special next year.  Need Lawson and Woolridge to find a way to become 70 % FT shooters.  Need to bring in a dude to fill Tamara shoes and we should be rocking and rolling.  I'm hoping with new dining hall, and nutritionist (hopefully all our athletes have access to them). We should be able to put solid weight on every kid in the program. 

Don't forget about Gibson. He looked like he was going to be a good CUSA guard. Good shooter, ball handler, quick, and good on-ball defender. He would probably be the third-leading scorer right now

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Don't forget about Gibson. He looked like he was going to be a good CUSA guard. Good shooter, ball handler, quick, and good on-ball defender. He would probably be the third-leading scorer right now

I knew we had one more, just couldn't remember which one.  What's your opinion on Duffy? Seems like his leash isn't super short, but I think he can fill it up like Smart (close anyway) 

• Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I knew we had one more, just couldn't remember which one.  What's your opinion on Duffy? Seems like his leash isn't super short, but I think he can fill it up like Smart (close anyway) 

I really like Duffy. I think the biggest goal with Duffy is getting him healthy by year-end so he can spend this offseason training and not rehabbing like last offseason. He isn't as explosive as he was in his JUCO highlights. He was catching alley-oops. But we need his shooting ability.

Honestly, if Duffy were healthy I would try starting him right now, and either have Lawson come off the bench or put him at 4 like we had at the beginning of the year and have Temara come off the bench. Offensive needs a kick starter, and Woolridge would be best served being surrounded by good shooters, which Smart is really the only one right now.

Temara is 11-31 (35%) from the field and 4-19 (21%) over the last six games.

I think 3 of our 4 best shooters have been hurt this year. Duffy, Gibson, and Tikhonenko should really help us stretch the floor next year when they're all healthy, along with Smart. Having that many of your shooters out, along with Lawson and Temara struggling, has really hurt this offense. Good to see Lawson coming on a bit now.

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I'll take plenty of down votes with this, but I don't think Simmons will be special. He may develop into a good starter, but he wont be an all conf type of player. Right now I prefer to Tope to be the starter and Zach to come off the bench. They both give you about the same production per 40 mins. Tope is a little bit more aggressive, stronger, and actually can play with his back to the basket. Im not saying that Zach isnt good or wont be good. I just feel he has a lot to work on to begin to sniff special. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

I really like Duffy. I think the biggest goal with Duffy is getting him healthy by year-end so he can spend this offseason training and not rehabbing like last offseason. He isn't as explosive as he was in his JUCO highlights. He was catching alley-oops. But we need his shooting ability.

Honestly, if Duffy were healthy I would try starting him right now, and either have Lawson come off the bench or put him at 4 like we had at the beginning of the year and have Temara come off the bench. Offensive needs a kick starter, and Woolridge would be best served being surrounded by good shooters, which Smart is really the only one right now.

I think 3 of our 4 best shooters have been hurt this year. Duffy, Gibson, and Tikhonenko should really help us stretch the floor next year when they're all healthy, along with Smart. Having that many of your shooters out, along with Lawson and Temara struggling, has really hurt this offense. Good to see Lawson coming on a bit now.

He has been battling that hip injury for awhile and has pretty much been a game time decision the past 3 games. 

If you start Duffy then you move Smart to the 3 and that faces him up with some longer guys. Something he has struggled with this year. 

Not knocking your idea, because I like shooters surrounding Woolridge. I just think its a tough sell to put Smart at 3. Situational yes, I could see that. Starting not so much.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Jamaiah Simmons (the transfer from ARSt) should also be a big addition for us next year as well.

29 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

If you start Duffy then you move Smart to the 3 and that faces him up with some longer guys. Something he has struggled with this year. 

I'm aware. I don't think it's that big a deal in CUSA play. Most teams run three guards anyways, with the three usually being 6'3"-6'5". What is a big deal is our shooting in CUSA play. We need another perimeter scoring option who defenses will respect. Duffy is our only guy who could be that.

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Jamaiah Simmons (the transfer from ARSt) should also be a big addition for us next year as well.

I hope so. He was starting in conference play for Arkansas State at the 4 as a true freshman, so he should be able to add something. He's a 6'4" post who isn't a shooter, so I hope guys like Gibson, Tikhonenko, and Duffy can gives us what we're hoping from a scoring standpoint so guys like Jahmiah Simmons can just play their game.

Just now, BillySee58 said:

I hope so. He was starting in conference play for Arkansas State at the 4 as a true freshman, so he should be able to add something. He's a 6'4" post who isn't a shooter, so I hope guys like Gibson, Tikhonenko, and Duffy can gives us what we're hoping from a scoring standpoint so guys like Jahmiah Simmons can just play their game.

I see him and think PJ Tucker

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I see him and think PJ Tucker

If that happened, we'd be in a great spot. I don't know if he has the scoring ability, on a CUSA level, that Tucker had, on the BIGXII level, but if he could be that bulldog while Tikhonenko is the skilled, scoring stretch four then that would give us a solid pairing.

6 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I'll take plenty of down votes with this, but I don't think Simmons will be special. He may develop into a good starter, but he wont be an all conf type of player. Right now I prefer to Tope to be the starter and Zach to come off the bench. They both give you about the same production per 40 mins. Tope is a little bit more aggressive, stronger, and actually can play with his back to the basket. Im not saying that Zach isnt good or wont be good. I just feel he has a lot to work on to begin to sniff special. 

I never understood why anyone would down vote an honest opinion.  However, I do disagree with your view.   Simmons could very easily be a special player.   He has very good movement for a 6'9 if not more player and a good low post presence.   He is obviously learning and needs to be a lot more aggressive, particularly with his moves to the basket.   The seven footer outmuscled him, but I didn't see any quit in Simmons, in fact he got better in the game. 

I also like that he like many of his size doesn't drift to the outside to take long shots.   

This team should be a contender for the championship next year.  Even if they add no one to the squad, you have to like a Junior group of Lawson, Draper, Smart and Simmons.  Add redshirts Simmons, Gibson and Tikhonenko and seniors Arikawe, Holston,  a healthy Duffy, and this could be a breakout team for NT.