NCAA About to Release Findings and Penalties on UNC

Cerebus

I'll be honest, this is going to be a slap on the wrist.  UNC is where Michael Jordan played and one of the biggest moneymakers the NCAA has.  I will be shocked if there are any major penalties -- which is a sad statement.

i guess they are to big to fail, I but agree they should be hit hard. They (NCAA) has to decide if they are the farm team for the NBA or college for the student athletes.  If they don't something big this behavior will continue to go on.  Most likely will anyway.  They are not sorry until they get caught.

• Lovely Take 1

@Harry normally I would agree, but I think the FBI investigation is forcing their hand.  This is a lot sooner than they initially hinted this would come out.   

Remember.   The FBI is involved now, they have audio, wiretaps, video recordings of plenty of people.  And they aren't stopping at those people, they are rolling them to go further up.  This is going to be a massive scandal when it hits.  

I think they changed their timetable because they want to get some good PR out in front of that.

After Penn State and Baylor, I just don't believe that I'll see a P5 program suffer any significant setbacks in my lifetime, FBI or no FBI.

If a real threat comes anywhere near, I think division 4 becomes a very quick reality, which will be interesting because the players will be paid, will probably be employees, not students, and we'll get to see college drafts, contracts, no limits on number of years played, and free agency.  

I can't even begin to speculate what becomes of the rest of college athletics after that. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Delayed because UNC begged them to delay.  Kicking off a huge multiyear long fund raising effort.  

NCAA should have done it anyway and UNC could have changed their launch plans if they wanted to avoid this.  

Sad....

On 10/6/2017 at 6:12 PM, Cerebus said:

Delayed because UNC begged them to delay.  Kicking off a huge multiyear long fund raising effort.  

NCAA should have done it anyway and UNC could have changed their launch plans if they wanted to avoid this.  

Shows that the penalties will not be too bad. If they were not afraid of doing something major, then they wouldn't bow to this kind of request.

7 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

My problem is that I have saved up my $29.99, but I can't decide if I want my UNC diploma to say Engineering, Law, or or something else.  Maybe I should wait until I can pay the $34.99 and go for the PHD.  Damn you UNC, to many choices!

More difficult academic regimen:   UTSA doctorate, or UNC athlete?

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

maybe the FBI will be a little harder on them.  I guess we can now consider UNC a diploma mill school.

On the institution or individuals employed (or formally employed) by the university?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 10/13/2017 at 10:17 AM, UNTLifer said:

Would love to hear the rationale behind the down vote which I take as not agreeing with this article.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Oh, I am well aware, and that isn't that big of a deal.  I take it from the vote that the person was in agreement with the article and would love to hear their thoughts.  There are a few trolls that just like to down vote.  They never provide another viewpoint.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2