Demikal Harrison Transferring

MeanGreenZen

No, I like that he's on here. Go get your buddies in here as well. Let them know that there is actually a diehard group of fans starving for success. 

PS. Happy Thanksgiving Folks! I hope it's a good one. 

Terrible idea.

They shouldn't read this board, much less be active on here.

Recipe for disaster. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

To GMG24- I think you're right, I only made this account because this story was brought to my attention and I felt like y'all deserved to know the truth. This season is not and will never be accecptable, but most of us aren't going to jump ship because of one season. I figured y'all deserved to know at least that much. I won't be a regular on here. Chumley is still here for everyone asking. 

appreciate you, and your hard work. Take care young man! Give UTEP hell Saturday! 

I hope Darrien McNair stays, and I hope the new coach coming in can show the ones who want to be here that this thing will get fixed. Noticed that coach tweeted him too. I wonder what the rules are about initiating contact. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

It tears at my heart to see guys leave. At the same time, I can put myself in their shoes. With so many unknowns and still holding years of eligibility, you can't blame kids for doing what they think is in their best interest.

I hate it when guys leave too however maybe for different reasons.   Transferring is not good for their education and most of these student-athletes don't have a legitimate shot to make to the NFL or even CFL.  I hope the next coach continues one the few things Mac did well (at least early on); the good walk-on program, stressing academics and positive off the field behavior.  I know playing time is important but unless you 100% certain you are going to same quality education at school you transfer too you should go.   Because even if they beat the odds a pro football career is less than 5 years in most cases.  You better have an education for the rest of your life.  But if you are on an ego trip and think the new coaching staff owes you something, get lost and good luck.

I hate it when guys leave too however maybe for different reasons.   Transferring is not good for their education and most of these student-athletes don't have a legitimate shot to make to the NFL or even CFL.  I hope the next coach continues one the few things Mac did well (at least early on); the good walk-on program, stressing academics and positive off the field behavior.  I know playing time is important but unless you 100% certain you are going to same quality education at school you transfer too you should go.   Because even if they beat the odds a pro football career is less than 5 years in most cases.  You better have an education for the rest of your life.  But if you are on an ego trip and think the new coaching staff owes you something, get lost and good luck.

No thank you to the walkon program. If we land a guy that decides to walkon bc he fell through the cracks then great. But basing our roster on walkons was Mac's demise. That and his stubborn ways. 

• Upvote 1

No thank you to the walkon program. If we land a guy that decides to walkon bc he fell through the cracks then great. But basing our roster on walkons was Mac's demise. That and his stubborn ways. 

Recruiting is going to suspect here until we start winning.  And Mac relied on the walk-on program because the guys we "landed" did not pan out.  We aren't getting a lot of 3 and 4 star recruits here so a coach better coach his ass off and develop talent regardless of how the get to the program.  Most of the highly touted recruits we have landed haven't panned out and you only have to look at the QB's since the H. of Dallas for examples. 

Recruiting is going to suspect here until we start winning.  And Mac relied on the walk-on program because the guys we "landed" did not pan out.  We aren't getting a lot of 3 and 4 star recruits here so a coach better coach his ass off and develop talent regardless of how the get to the program.  Most of the highly touted recruits we have landed haven't panned out and you only have to look at the QB's since the H. of Dallas for examples. 

I get it. 

But Mac's recruits didn't pan out because Mac and Co. couldn't recruit worth a damn. Having a staff that can recruit even kind of average will blow out any class Dan brought in here. At the G5 level the gold standard is 10 three star recruits a class. Here in DFW that should be doable with a staff that can push our brand with competence. No excuses. 

I get it. 

But Mac's recruits didn't pan out because Mac and Co. couldn't recruit worth a damn. Having a staff that can recruit even kind of average will blow out any class Dan brought in here. At the G5 level the gold standard is 10 three star recruits a class. Here in DFW that should be doable with a staff that can push our brand with competence. No excuses. 

Come on Ben do we really have brand that can be pushed right now?  You are talking about 17-19 year olds and even during the Heart of Dallas Bowl run local media coverage paled in comparison to coverage TCU or SMU gets.   So I doubt many of them really remember that plus this coach wasn't here at the time to sell that as his accomplishment here.  The coach will have to sell his brand of football more than he will be able to use the UNT brand to recruit.  We had an argument in the chat room the other day as to whether we are officially Eagles or The Mean Green.... insert laughter here.   With this late start I sincerely doubt whoever comes in and gets more than 5, three star recruits to sign come February.   And God knows we need far more than that to have a  7 or 8 win season next year.  But if the coach is really good he will be able to make the most of what we got and get us there.  Mac was a bad recruiter no doubt but let's see what the next guy does before truly evaluate how bad he was.  It is not like the any of the previous UNT coaches lit it up on national signing day.  

Come on Ben do we really have brand that can be pushed right now?  You are talking about 17-19 year olds and even during the Heart of Dallas Bowl run local media coverage paled in comparison to coverage TCU or SMU gets.   So I doubt many of them really remember that plus this coach wasn't here at the time to sell that as his accomplishment here.  The coach will have to sell his brand of football more than he will be able to use the UNT brand to recruit.  We had an argument in the chat room the other day as to whether we are officially Eagles or The Mean Green.... insert laughter here.   With this late start I sincerely doubt whoever comes in and gets more than 5, three star recruits to sign come February.   And God knows we need far more than that to have a  7 or 8 win season next year.  But if the coach is really good he will be able to make the most of what we got and get us there.  Mac was a bad recruiter no doubt but let's see what the next guy does before truly evaluate how bad he was.  It is not like the any of the previous UNT coaches lit it up on national signing day.  

We have a brand. 

We have great athletic and academic facilities. 

We have a beautiful campus (after the construction is fully completed everywhere). 

We have a nice little college town that is improving. 

We have fans that are dying to have a winner. 

We do in fact have players in the NFL. 

We offer a very wide variety of degree options. 

We are a stone throw away from DFW, etc. 

We have a large student body and campus. 

We play relatively known teams. 

Our mascot is unique. 

(To highly touted prospects to our standards) You can come here and be an instant difference maker and legitimately leave behind a cemented legacy. 

We are The North Texas Mean Green. 

We can't bask in recent prolonged success, but we can show recruits what we have mustering and the true potential that is North Texas. We are going to be something special. Be a part of it or watch it from afar. 

There are quality pieces of this University and we have something to build on. Calling us brandless is naive. 

• Upvote 6

I get it. 

I really don't think that's the gold standard, because 3-star ratings are so inconsistent. Do you mean 3-star as in rated a 3-star unanimously by all 4 major recruiting services? Just 1? ESPN ranked darn near every 2015 CUSA commit heading into last season as 3-stars. Some had one other offer, some had no other offers, but ESPN was handing them out left and right.

And that's just a single example of why the credibility of saying a "3-star" really has diminished greatly.

But back to your original point, we had walkons beating out players who had no other offers. You could make the case that they both should've been walkons to begin with. 

Too bad about D'Aundrey. He has some talent.  He would probably get a lot more opportunity under the new staff.

What talent did he really show? I never saw anything from him that we hadn't seen before out of a true freshman. He could've gone on to be a solid player, but he wasn't this player who was just clearly a special talent.

• Upvote 2

I really don't think that's the gold standard, because 3-star ratings are so inconsistent. Do you mean 3-star as in rated a 3-star unanimously by all 4 major recruiting services? Just 1? ESPN ranked darn near every 2015 CUSA commit heading into last season as 3-stars. Some had one other offer, some had no other offers, but ESPN was handing them out left and right.

And that's just a single example of why the credibility of saying a "3-star" really has diminished greatly.

But back to your original point, we had walkons beating out players who had no other offers. You could make the case that they both should've been walkons to begin with. 

What talent did he really show? I never saw anything from him that we hadn't seen before out of a true freshman. He could've gone on to be a solid player, but he wasn't this player who was just clearly a special talent.

Too many Walk-ons beating out scholarship players is not a good sign of the recruiting and talent developed by Mac. How many walk-ons earned scholarships this year? An occasional diamond in the rough is expected, but it seemed like I was reading this far too often the last couple of years.

We have a brand.         

We have great athletic and academic facilities.    -   Just on par with other schools in our conference or slightly better

We have a beautiful campus (after the construction is fully completed everywhere). - Nice but SMU, Rice and Houston are just as impressive

We have a nice little college town that is improving. - nice

We have fans that are dying to have a winner. - And then the recruit ask when is the last time you sold out a game

We do in fact have players in the NFL. - Several FCS Schools have more and we have no one that has been a star in the league since their parents were wetting their beds.

We offer a very wide variety of degree options. - So do a lot of Universities 

We are a stone throw away from DFW, etc. - TCU and SMU are in better locations if you want to be in the city

We have a large student body and campus. - Texas State, UTSA,  and Houston are about the same size.

We play relatively known teams. - not really

Our mascot is unique. - an Eagle is not exactly unique Mean Green is a unique nickname so I will give you that

(To highly touted prospects to our standards) You can come here and be an instant difference maker and legitimately leave behind a cemented legacy. 

We are The North Texas Mean Green. 

We can't bask in recent prolonged success, but we can show recruits what we have mustering and the true potential that is North Texas. We are going to be something special. Be a part of it or watch it from afar. - that potential has been at UNT for quite a while now so what is going to change now?

There are quality pieces of this University and we have something to build on. Calling us brandless is naive. - all those quality pieces have added up to no NCAA playoff wins(FCS, NCAAM or NCAAW) no sellouts and no appearance in a New Year Day Bowl Game established before 2000

Notice that I didn't even mention the P5 conference schools near by.  Look I grew up in DFW and UNT athletic brand wasn't something you wanted be associated with.  We don't show up for games and that speaks volumes about our athletic brand.  It screams ineptness and apathy.   All I know is that whoever the coach is he will have to work twice as hard to win recruits from SMU, Houston, and Texas State.